Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's yer next favorite brand?

polara

What else inspires brand loyalty?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've got 1 Hamer Standard Bass, 1 '77 Inca Silver MM Stingray, & 5 Fender P's in assorted flavors.

TWO GUESSES.....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still dig these, although I'm doing a lot more Telecaster slingin' of late...

100_3049.jpg

tons of cool guitars out there ( my ebony board Schecter A-era strat being a prime example LOL ) I just paid 300 for a guitar that hung w/ Hamer usa and a vintage Gibson, so I'll play anything that blows my skirt up, in so many ways they really do all sound the same

Well, to throw in some German production stuff (which Huber isn't) I'd say FRAMUS.

Don't own one (yet :D ), but at least over here they are great bang for the buck. It's the opposite to the Hamer USA approach: they machine as much as possible, but within tight tolerances, use very high grade woods and have one of the best bolt-on systems I can think of. And they also try to do something original.

When I get a chance to try one out, I'll let you know.

Gino

Wiz,

YOu dsaid, "Suhr also claims he doesnt like maple necks on mahogany guitars because the woods dont complement each other well, I concur; but then he loves basswood bodies with maple caps. I consider basswood = crapwood and I cant stand it. Its soft like pulp and dings if you look at it the wrong way, which people often try to prevent by using way too much finish, not good for resonance. I've also never heard a situation where a given pickup didnt sound better in Ash/Alder/Mahogany than in basswood. Personal preference; there is no right or wrong"

I agree. In fact, that's probably the reason I sold what I thought was my dream guitar. Early 90's Custom Sunburst Archtop Tremelo (a floyded archtop sunburst). It was in a faded slash/like finish I called rootbeer burst not that crappy, to me, yellow to red fade...more subdued in a cool way. Anyway, I just didn't play it much. First becase I thought it was too pretty to play and I had never paid that much for a guitar. 2nd, even after a PU swap it just didn't have the sound I wanted. It was a mahagany body but with a maple neck due to the Floyd. That may have been the reason for me not liking it. Maybe there's some truth to what Suhr says.

Also, never cared for Basswood myself. I sold a nice MIJ Fender HRR strat that I really liked except for the sound of the basswood body! Hard for me to describe but it just didn't ring like Ash or Alder and just had a certain "muted" cardboard feel to it. I know there are some big players with Basswood bodies but I've never been a believer.

i played mostly gibson & fender before hamer,

although i did have a few oddballs like yamaha, bc rich, etc.

but i only owned one each of the non hamer/gibson/fenders,

so i really can't comment on their quality. hamer's the only brand i'll buy w/o playing 1st.

But if I had to get one sight unseen..... G&L .... had a Legacy years ago that was fantastic... ONLY reason I sold it was at the time I had 5 or 6 "strats"...

By far the brands I'm most comfortable buying sight unseen are Hamers and G&Ls. I bought 6- and 12-string Hamer Eclipses and a Phantom Custom sight unseen, and I bought a G&L ASAT III and Legacy Special sight unseen. All were absolutely fantastic, and gawd, of those 5, I wish I had that Legacy Special back.

(pic of black Dean Explorer, V, and ML bass)

Since you're slingin' Teles these days, maybe you need to add one of these basses from G&L:

asatbass-butterblonde.jpg

ASATB_SH_3T-SNBRS_full.jpg

Big plank body with a J-bass type neck. Uber cool with an extensive tonal range. The semihollow one is quite a bit lighter.

Great thread!

I'd like to second wizard's point. I think the crux of the matter nowaday really is labour cost. And it's the same in Europe. With the fall of the iron curtain, strange things happened to the music industry over here.

There's a large retailer in Germany that has stuff bulit with the Fame brand name in Eastern Europe. There's a PRS clone, completely hand bulit in Poland, alder body and neck, solid flamed maple top, all Schaller hardware for 590.- EUR. They also offer amps: 15 Watts all tube /EL84), mostly point-to-point (remember - cheap labour!), Celsestion 10 inch that retails for 210.- EUR! That stuff might not have the mojo of more expensive US and European stuff, but after all it's all just wood and tubes!

So, what we will see increasinly is production stuff well made in the Far East and Eastern Europe and high prized boutique gear made in the west. There are a few companies in the west that will continue to put out reasonably prized production gear made with a high level of automation (Framus/Warwick and others).

The problem for the boutique makers is that they have to keep up quality while production grows. I haven't seen any late 80's PRS guitars for sale over here in a long time for that reason.

Gino

AND

Kubicki. Yeah, I sold Kim my pink one. But I still have a red one.

-Bobby

Add a +1 for Kubicki-made Kubicki basses (meaning not the three Fender years) AND his rarer 70s-80s Fender clones of P and Jazz Basses, Teles, Strats, etc.

Leduc and Vigier for basses.

Guitar-wise....I'd also vote Vigier (French maker)...a really under-rated brand that you don't run across much in the US.

Parker. For me, nothing compares with that bridge or that fingerboard playability-wise. And they're really feature-rich in terms of electronics. And they weigh next to nothing... A trifecta!

Those look great. With Sparkle finishes, they'd be IT. I'm not really playing much bass lately though. Got more of those than I need now!

:D

(pic of black Dean Explorer, V, and ML bass)

Since you're slingin' Teles these days, maybe you need to add one of these basses from G&L:

asatbass-butterblonde.jpg

ASATB_SH_3T-SNBRS_full.jpg

Big plank body with a J-bass type neck. Uber cool with an extensive tonal range. The semihollow one is quite a bit lighter.

Those look great. With Sparkle finishes, they'd be IT. I'm not really playing much bass lately though. Got more of those than I need now!

:D

"Sparkle" as in metalflake?

ASAT-Bass_Goldflake_body.jpg

Available in red, blue, silver, gold, and green metalflake.

They also have some standard metallic paint finishes as well, such as emerald, cobalt, electric, or Lake Placid blue, gold, silver. For example, emerald blue:

Emerald-Blue.jpg

G&L makes some Killah stuff.

The best "Tele" I've ever played was a G&L. The '62 Esquire I used to own was a close second, believe it or not. SKEEEEEERYY!!

I'm going to have to go for older Gibsons and I've always dug Ibanez's guitars from the 70's and early 80's like the Artists and ST series.

I'm liking the new Edwards and old 70/80 Tokai Reborn and some Burny from that period.

Archived