Hamer Fan Club Message Center

? for luthiers/repairmen

currypowder

I have an almost new Warmoth strat neck that has been installed on a body. The problem is the 4 mounting holes on this particular body are set closer to each other than normal, so the drill holes in the neck are non-standard. Turns out, I don't really like the neck profile (it's too fat) and I'd like to try to sell the neck and put somthing else in. Is it a problem to drill standard holes in addition to the non standard ones or fill the drilled holes with some sort of wood filler prior to drilling the new holes without affecting tone or playability?

I hope I'm being clear enough.

Thanks,

Curry

There's no issue at all as long as the new holes are not close to the existing holes. The reason for this is that you do not want the drill bit to "wander" into the old holes while drilling the new ones. Hope this makes sense.

You do not need to worry about filling the old holes with wood putty or anything like that.

The neck now has non-standard holes in it, which (to be re-used) need to be filled with snug-fitting hardwood dowel plugs and carpenter's wood glue. Tapped down to fully seat, then trimmed flush with the heel.

As far as mounting another neck to that body, I would utilize the existing holes in the body, and modify the holes in the neck as necessary to match. If you buy a pre-drilled Fender neck instead, plug the original holes in it as described above, and carefully re-drill to match the body.

Tip: stick a Post-It note to the neck heel. Then place the neck tight in the neck pocket and run a small no. 1 Phillips screwdriver into each hole in the body until it contacts the neck. It should just fit in the hole with light drag, and will make an indent in the Post-It exactly where each hole needs to be drilled. Use a drill press with depth stop to drill the holes.

Note: I have a nice 70's Reissue (new) Strat neck available for sale if interested. Has the nice 70's 'u' profile, big headstock and rosewood fretboard.

Archived