Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Head cab prototype...DONE!

DEMENTED

Here is the prototype, mahogany & maple, oil & wax finish, Marshall handle, rubber feet. I left the front valance that you guys seemed to like....for now . Please feel free to leave me some honest feedback on this piece. More pics in a bit.

DSC00731.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

DSC00736.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00740.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

cool. How much (if any) weight did it add?

Looks like a bird on the face. Where's the Demented logo?

It's actually about a 1/4 lb lighter now. Yeah, everyone thought the knot looked like an eagle and that I should leave it, it was literally pulled from the scrap pile because it was tall enough to use in the mock-up. People liked it so I left it....

Actually the business is called "MYSTIK CABS"...no logo yet, working on it. These will be for sale with tons of options to your taste folks!

Beautiful work.

The dovetails are a nicer touch than finger joints.

I like the subtle flame on the maple too.

But, call me a dick - I would have inverted the maple and used the knot as a face feature. The way it is now it visually crowds the controls (from a picky fellow woodworker).

What about Rack Cases?

Guest pirateflynn

I think it's great. I would either go for a thick high quality leather handle with nice hardware (like new production Matchless) or recessed/routed side handles. The two toned look is cool.

Rack cases are a good idea.

A note to everyone..the maple valance with the knot...pulled from the scrap pile because it was tall enough, this is a prototype afterall. It's funny how many people like the knot, I don't but didn't have a piece of tiger maple that tall on hand. Just an idea...what would you guys think of a Corian valance instead of the maple?

Stike beat me to the punch, but wonder if you'd try Drum covering material (sparkles, pearloids, etc.) on the faces? Just an idea that I've not seen done before...

Great work, pal!

I'll echo Stike and Chris... You are doing wonderful work, that is obvious. If I were you, I would seriously consider getting into building cabs that are covered, as well as the natural wood cabs you are building. The reason I would stay away from a natural wood cab is that I would be hesitant to take it to a gig for fear that it would get dinged. Tolex, or other covering material takes that reservation away. The crazier the beeter for a lot of us giggers...wood just doesn't have the same impact as a silver sparkle with bass boat flames when it is sitting behind you on a stage..LOL!!

If you were interested in trying to build a 4X10 cab covered in a lac. tweed or something crazy, I would be happy to let you have a crack at it.

Either way... Fantastic job bro! I love seeing stuff like this from guys who are doing it for the love of the game.

Archived