Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Flying with guitars ?

belgian

A good friend of mine (Guy Forsyth - http://www.guyforsyth.com/index.php ) is touring Europe for the moment. I am supposed to hook up on the Belgian and Holland part of the tour, I fixed a national radio session for him. Last week I got this mail from his European manager, it seems it isn't allowed to fly with guitars.

Quote:

Guy just called from the Airport and Delta will not allow him to take his guitars on the flight with him. They took apart the guitar’s that they could and packed them in their carry-on suitcases but will need two electric guitars added to their backline requirements.

Johnny needs an electric guitar something along the lines of a 50’s style Strat if a Strat is not available single Coil Les Paul.

P90 Hollow or Semi-hollow Body Electric Guitar – Large Gibson 125

Please make sure that they actually play, all pick-ups and such.

I have updated the full backline list. Please email me if you have questions.

KT

end quote

I offered him a T-62 and a Newport korina for the rest of the tour, but I find it very strange thing not to allow a professional musician to bring along his instrument.

Isn't the whole security issue getting a little weird ?

I flew to Nashville in August with a tele in a gigbag. I had no problem getting through security and the stewardess put it into a coat closet in first class during the flight.

Are they not even allowed to check the guitars in

as special luggage? That sounds very strange?

I'm flying to London tomorrow with Crucified Barbara,

they are doing a UK tour with Motörhead.

We will check everything in as special luggage.

(Atleast that is the plan....?)

I'll hear the full story on Sunday, he bashed the whole Bush administration pretty well on his latest CD.

Could that have something to do with it ?

Guy plays a small pub here abunch (saxon pub). He used to play every mon or tues night there. Cool that he's selling CDs and shows in Europe. Nice fella.

He was at my place 4 years ago and even played on my terras, we visited the WW1 battlefields around here and we kept contact since then.

Here he's playing my Monaco III :

guyforsyth028.jpg

I've been hearing they're getting pretty bad about that, so I'd just recommend trying to find a real road case. The only guitars I have with them are my KxKs, so they're the only ones I can see flying with in the immediate future...for that matter, does anybody know where to get decent flight cases? I've heard tales of cases with foam you cut to fit your guitar, but so far I've found jack shit.

Hilarious, Delta airlines didn't allowed them to take their guitars as luggage, but allowed to take a handsaw in the cabin luggage ( he actually plays it as an instrument).

The bassplayer hadto take the neck of his bass in the cabin luggage.

Pretty easy to use it as a supersize baseball bat, I guess..... :):(:o

Archived