Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How many of you have downsized your amps?

Craig S

I find I rarely use high powered amps anymore. I still have a Trace Elliot Speed Twin head that is fun to play once and while but I ususally opt for a small amp, even at home. I still have a 68' Twin Reverb but I keep that just because it does sound good but more just because it's been with me for so many years.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "big" bass rig is down to an Eden 2x12 combo. Big enough for the stage - the rest goes through the PA. On lots of gigs, I just use a Hartke Kickback 12 bass amp. I'll have to see what playing outdoors is like though. I may need a bigger air-mover for that.

I've downsized in size, not watts. Used to have a Marshall top and 4x12 cabinett. Had it since 1987 but sold last year. Bought some combo's instead. Two 50 watters, and one 100 watter for clean sounds. Combos are easier to move around and with three amps I have more variations in tone. I will never own a 4x12 cabinett again. It's just to big to move around. Now I just throw the amp in the back of the car and drive off to play.

SVT head + 8x10 cab--->SVT head + 4x10 cab--->SWR Workingman head + 4x10 cab--->Genz Benz 2x10 combo---> ???

---> Tech 21 BassDriver (into PA) :):P:P

I've downsized, but not simplified. I've gone from a Boogie MK IV combo and (2X) 4x12 and/or (2X) 1X12 Thieles, down to a rack setup - with a Triaxis, G-Force, Graphic EQ, Carvin 50w stereo power amp, and the (2X) Thieles.

Still bad-ass, but a lot smaller.

TUBES and lots of them!!!!!

SVT head SVT 8-10= heaven for me!

I like to feeeeel my bass, ive tryed a bass driver and smaller rigs and im just not happy with them.... so as long as im able to move all this shit This is what i will use to bring the RAWK!!!!

last night!

bassssss.jpg

TUBES and lots of them!!!!!

SVT head SVT 8-10= heaven for me!

I like to feeeeel my bass, ive tryed a bass driver and smaller rigs and im just not happy with them.... so as long as im able to move all this shit This is what i will use to bring the RAWK!!!!

last night!

bassssss.jpg

Your Bass Rig! Very RawK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two mini water bottles at the front of the stage.....not very rawk!!!!!! :) JK Oops now I see your beer on top of your amp....!!!! Sorry for my poor attention to detail! HA

bford

I never had a 100 watt head or amp.....did have a couple of 50 watters in the past.

Now I use a Budda SD30 Series 1 head with a 2x12 cab. It's been plenty loud for every show I've ever played. Of course we are usually mic'd up, so I usually only run it about half up anyway.

Last show we played, at a little bar in College Station, I used a Trace Elliot Velocette 1x10 15watts. It sounded great and I didn't come close to cranking it either. I love that little amp. I know it could use a new speaker and I may throw some better iron in there someday, but still it's simplicity is very nice.

Oh and I'm on the waitlist for a Hayseed 30. I had the chance to play one in Austin recently and just loved it. It's not a Vox, but it's at least a first cousin....very nice... mine should be ready in March or April. I hate waiting...but I'll make it. :)

rock

bford

i've been going w/ lower wattages for several years (decades!) now;

i grew up playing loud ~100w amps (fender twin/quad, sound city 120;

i never could turn 'em past 4 at a gig).

then, i played a long line of ~50w heads & combos

(fender/marshall/ampeg/etc).

in the last few years i've tried a few nicer <30w combos,

like the reverend hellhound, & carr rambler (usually set on 14w triode setting),

as well as the cheap but cool fender pro jr (15w).

for rehearsals/recording/small bar gigs/gigs with full PA & monitors

(basically everything except loud rawk/metal),

you really don't need more than 15w (IMFO).

i now own a thd univalve (and a crate powerblock for backup).

the ability to swap tubes, along w/

the attenuater/line out makes the univale a great choice.

Come out and see the small combo I'm using tonight. And I have the output dialed down to what is supposed to be 1 watt, but I'm sure isn't. I'm not far from your house (Crown on Lazelle).

I wish I would have know earlier I would have come over. That's a couple of minutes away for me. What did you use? Send me an eamail at work or something when you play the Crown.

still using a mesa MKI reissue head and Bogner 410 cab, I've never been much more that a half stack guy so this is right in line, actually, I guess I moved UP since I was running this head w/ a 112 cab. Using my deluxe reverb alot these days so I guess yes and no and much of the same. kinda got a 412 closed back jones going but I doubt I'll act on it, there are a couple of large places we play that would be fun to crank, maybe I'll borrow one for a while

---> Tech 21 BassDriver (into PA) :):P:P

Don't laugh! That's exactly my setup for the past three years. If you have a nice, efficient PA system, it is absolutely the best way to go.

My old rig was a GK RB800 through Hartke 1x15 and 4X10 cabs

My sound has never been better.

My back feels a lot better, too.

I used a big rack 4x12 setup until 5-6 years ago. These days, I like a good combo amp that you can just grab and go for jams or the rare occasion I do play live. After owning and trying several different variations, I have come to the conclusion that wattage isn’t always the key factor in how good an amp sounds at lower volume levels. Case in point, my Budda Superdrive II is the lowest power amp I own at 18 watts. It will absolutely bury my Orange 30 watt and hold it’s own quite well against my other 50 watt amps. People cannot believe how insanely loud this amp is! Back to the point though, the Budda needs to be louder than any of my other amps to start to get that full low volume tone.(If there is such a thing from a tube amp. lol) I’d have to say that the Orange at 30 watts is the easiest to get a good low volume tone, closely followed by the 50 watt H&K.

i've been going w/ lower wattages for several years (decades!) now;

i grew up playing loud ~100w amps (fender twin/quad, sound city 120;

i never could turn 'em past 4 at a gig).

then, i played a long line of ~50w heads & combos

(fender/marshall/ampeg/etc).

in the last few years i've tried a few nicer <30w combos,

like the reverend hellhound, & carr rambler (usually set on 14w triode setting),

as well as the cheap but cool fender pro jr (15w).

for rehearsals/recording/small bar gigs/gigs with full PA & monitors

(basically everything except loud rawk/metal),

you really don't need more than 15w (IMFO).

i now own a thd univalve (and a crate powerblock for backup).

the ability to swap tubes, along w/

the attenuater/line out makes the univale a great choice.

Brooks you should try out a Tophat amp. One of the Club series, they are 20 watts and sound great. The Club Royale is an El84 power section. It can do the Marshall and Vox type sounds very well. The Club Deluxe is more American sounding with 6V6's. The best thing about the Tophat's are how interactive the EQ funcions are.

~CS

JCM900 Half Stack--->TSL122 2x12 combo--->TSL601 1x12 combo

SVT head + 8x10 cab--->SVT head + 4x10 cab--->SWR Workingman head + 4x10 cab--->Genz Benz 2x10 combo---> ???

So the answer is NO, huh?

I don't get it.

Archived