Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Has anyone played a JET guitar?

Beware, I think they are Mr. Roman's. Although they may be nice, I have heard a ton of horror stories in dealing with him.

They are not Ed Roman's. He just sells them. And he's not the only dealer who does. There are 2 other high end dealers that also stock these, but Ed sells more than anyone else.

They are great high end guitars. But once you get into that 3-5K selling price for guitars there are quite a few great ones out there to compare to one another.

Jet Guitars Webpage

They are not Ed Roman's. He just sells them. And he's not the only dealer who does. There are 2 other high end dealers that also stock these, but Ed sells more than anyone else.

They are great high end guitars. But once you get into that 3-5K selling price for guitars there are quite a few great ones out there to compare to one another.

Jet Guitars Webpage

i know the 2 other dealers you speak about that sell JET but i can't help but have a nagging suspicion that Mr Roman is somehow associated with both these dealers

also.. (even some of the guitars on thier websites are ones that ED had at one time.. )

1) take alook what brands both places carry..the exact same boutique lines that Ed claimed to have "exclusive" dealership rights too.. Usually Ed starts bad mouthing a Builder the second they don't want to deal with only him...yet not a peep out of Ed over this one...

2) check their price list for these guitars there an exact duplicate copy of Ed's right down to the amount of discount given

3) not 100% sure if both but atleast 1 of them also happens to carry some of Ed's

own personal line guitars.....why would Ed do that if he didn't have some kind of vested interest in the place ..let someone else steal money out of his pocket.. it thought ed was the Greatest Salesman in the world and moved Hundreds of guitars a week..so why would he let someone else make the profit on the sale of one of his guitars??

i would not be the least bit surprised if Ed was The "silent " owner of both these places

There is a dealer in Ohio http://www.uptownstrings.com/ that sells them as well. I played one at that store about 2 years ago and they are truly spectacular. I played the original Earlewood model and not the newer Caldera. If I had $3K at the time, that guitar would have followed me home. The quality, craftmanship and materials are all top notch. If you get the chance, try one out. As for the connection with Ed Roman, JET mostly sells through him but there are other dealers and Roman has nothing to do with the actual guitar company.

What others would you consider looking into?

In that price range it's hard to beat a Nik Huber, or a Roger Giffin IMO.

Roger Giffin Guitars

Nik Huber Guitars

And Uptown strings was one of the stores I was referring to. They have nothing to do with Ed Roman.

BTW-have you considered some of the really nice high end Hamers that have been built lately? Check out the Hamer Gallery on the Hamer Guitars site...

Personally, I love the shape of the JET headstock. Absolutely adore it!

Well, then, can we argue over the non-traditional truss rod cover?

Actually I like the headstock and the truss rod cover, but we know that for some people only a Gibson headstock is good enough.

There is a dealer in Ohio http://www.uptownstrings.com/

As for the connection with Ed Roman, JET mostly sells through him but there are other dealers and Roman has nothing to do with the actual guitar company.

go to the JET website and click on the dealers..Here what it says

JET Guitars

HOW DO I BUY A JET INSTRUMENT?

Sales and dealer information is handled by our sales manager.

This is the contact to use to find a dealer in your region, or if you want to order a custom instrument.

JET Guitar Sales

click on the link and you see that it's Ed's email address, basically meaning that ED is The sales manager (not just a dealer) for the entire Jet guitar Line, it's not out of the realm of possibilty that Ed has some money invested in JET guitar.he has done this with previous builders also

I think the headstock is pretty nice, and I like the idea of not making the truss rod cover any larger than it needs to be.

However, the logo looks like aET, not JET. We need a "J" change.

There is a dealer in Ohio http://www.uptownstrings.com/

As for the connection with Ed Roman, JET mostly sells through him but there are other dealers and Roman has nothing to do with the actual guitar company.

go to the JET website and click on the dealers..Here what it says

JET Guitars

HOW DO I BUY A JET INSTRUMENT?

Sales and dealer information is handled by our sales manager.

This is the contact to use to find a dealer in your region, or if you want to order a custom instrument.

JET Guitar Sales

click on the link and you see that it's Ed's email address, basically meaning that ED is The sales manager (not just a dealer) for the entire Jet guitar Line, it's not out of the realm of possibilty that Ed has some money invested in JET guitar.he has done this with previous builders also

I know what it says on the JET site but I have also spoken to Ted Kerr at Uptown Strings (very cool guy btw) and he buys his guitars directly from Jeffrey. He does not go through Ed Roman.

Whether or not Ed Roman has any money invested in JET is very hard to tell unless Jeffrey has disclosed this info to you. One thing that's for sure, Ed Roman does not build JET guitars. Thankfully, Jeffrey is the only one who has anything to do with those guitars.

Whether or not Ed Roman has any money invested in JET is very hard to tell unless Jeffrey has disclosed this info to you. One thing that's for sure, Ed Roman does not build JET guitars. Thankfully, Jeffrey is the only one who has anything to do with those guitars.

Ed Roman seems to sell Hamers too...

Any reason not to buy one from him? Other than his slimey rep I mean.

There has been so much written about Ed Roman on so many different guitar forums. Overwhelmingly, not very good experiences. There are so many other good dealers who are ready to help you out and go the distance for you that it's not even worth taking the chance on someone with so much bad press.

"There are so many other good dealers who are ready to help you out and go the distance for you that it's not even worth taking the chance on someone with so much bad press."

But if you do, please post details here. I love a good read and Ed Roman trainwrecks are the best! ;)

i know jeff e. terwilliger (JET) from raleigh nc,

he used to do work on my stuff before i moved

to g'boro (& started mooching work off stike).

he made me a doubleneck i designed w/ some short scale bolt on necks i had.

GTRStruck.jpg

he does nice work. but, i gotta agree w/ HHB about the

over the top eye candy factor, thats a turn off i get from

lotsa high end builders.

he does nice work. but, i gotta agree w/ HHB about the

over the top eye candy factor, thats a turn off i get from

lotsa high end builders.

i agree to an extent, but you have to remember it's totally up to the buyer what he wants when dealing with a boutique builder, your really in control.. You can get a totally tricked out guitar with all the fancy smancy woods and inlays and all or something simple and straigh ahead but you have to let the builder know exactly what you want from the beggining

Some one mentioned Thorn earlier, he's a good example ( I have 2 )

#21 while although a little fancy with a slightly nicer top ( i wanted a Fire type effect ) then usual and the free paua binding and inlay, i could have just as easily gotten a regular top with no binding and plain dots..if i had chosen

#48...guilty as charged there... i have always dreamt of a shark themed guitar since i was wee little shredder... so i went a little more nuts but everything is kinda interlocked in the theme

The top and color where picked to have a water effect with the shark F hole kinda "swimming around in it

the birdeye neck kinda reminded me of sand or the beach, so that worked and kept to the theme with the shark inlays ( had tossed around the idea of staining the neck blue also but deciding i liked the contrast of the clear neck and stained body better

sorry kinda rambling but for $2300 how could i not get every crazy feature i ever wanted in it

if you look at Ron's galleries right along with his fancier ones are one that are less ornate and more straight ahead...it all how people spec'd them out

http://www.thornguitargallery.com/

my point is a good Boutique builder will build you whatever you want , it really is the taste of the Purchaser that should ultimately determine how it turns out

Archived