Hamer Fan Club Message Center

hamer old versus new

what do you guys think of the new hamers compared to the old?i.e.studio etc versus sunburts

i think the old sustain block models blow the new ones (tunomatic stop tails) away far better tone and sustain.the new models have better neck profiles as opposed to the skinny neck on old sunbursts etc.another thing ive noticed is the bridge pickup has been moved towars the fret board by about 1/4 " losing a bit bite. also the new frets are very thin compared to the more jumbo on older guiatrs.

whats your views?

I think the older neck profiles a far superior for me.

I have four 1979 Hamer's and they have the greatest

necks. Not skinny at all. I would say somewhere

medium.

The vintage profile on the Artist Korina I had was far

too big. Loved the sound of the guitar but it killed my left hand.

My 1995 Standard has a pretty good neck although not perfect.

Same goes for the 1987 SSII. Nice but not perfect.

My 1991 Centaura and an SSI from 1986 both had killer necks.

Just as perfect as on the old 70's Hamer's.

Then again I had a 1991 Sunburst with a thin flat neck that

I could not play either, killed my left hand.

I love the old Hamer's, I love the new Hamer's.

Infact I think I need more Hamer's. ("More, MORE, MORE", walks away from the computer mumbling like a mummy....,

drooling like Homer).

I was always a bigger fan of the "old" stuff, and owned a number of 70s/early 80s Hamers. I still like them and appreciate them, but personally am a fan of the newer stuff. This is of course, a subjective question, and 100 people will have 100 different opinions.

I think the quality is in many ways better, certainly the consistency is. I've sold off/traded away most of my older ones for some "keeper" new ones.

Different strokes...

Gee, let's get a poll going. Maybe we can get them to make more older Hamers.

Greg, you have been successful at having Hamer make a Les Paul Jr. style guitar with the right headstock thickness. You also had a bunch of sustain block bridges made. Has anyone ever asked for an original Suburst/Special neck profile? That would be a true new/old guitar.

...and you could "relic" them to get that serious "Mojo" goin'.

Wait. Wrong forum. Sorry!

Gee, let's get a poll going.  Maybe we can get them to make more older Hamers.

Greg, you have been successful at having Hamer make a Les Paul Jr. style guitar with the right headstock thickness. You also had a bunch of sustain block bridges made. Has anyone ever asked for an original Suburst/Special neck profile? That would be a true new/old guitar.

you mean thinner front to back? I have 3 that I ordered that are thinner than the Modern neck carve, but not toothpick thin. Edited to add: the 81 special I had gotten from Kiz and sold to gus had a neck so thin I'm surprized it wasn't transparent.

They need a USA super-strat model again. We don't need the pointy metalzoid stuff like they used to make. Even I found that ridiculous.

And they've been pumping out the vintage Gibson-esque stuff now for the last almost 10 years, so we've seen enough of that.

And I'm not talking all kinds of whacked out finishes, and Floyd's as a standard item, but at least have those options for those who want them.

I'm talking having a more streamlined guitar for the player ( such as myself ) who has a more streamlined playing style.

The vintage stuff is top notch for sure, but it doesn't fit me at all. I am a strat kinda guy, and I really don't like having to scour the Earth for a guitar that someone else had their grimy paws on, and who knows what happened to the thing over the years, plus you're stuck with whatever finish is on the thing if you get lucky enough to find a model you want, and half the time when you find someone who has them, they aren't too willing to give them up.

The solution? A NEW guitar.

Personally, my choice ( big surprise ) would be the Phantom's from the 80's, and/or the Chaparrall.

Jim, your argument had it's salient points, was well thought out and quite impressive.

Then you killed yourself with the last line.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDIOT!!! LOL

Jim:

Order a B-12L with a Floyd and a 24/3/4 Standard neck and your choice of pickups.

Hey - it's just an idea!!

Nevermind. Just put 2&2 together. DUH....

Anyway....

A Floyd on that bitch? It would need to be made of some Titanium alloy freaky space composite to hold up that tension.

Would be interesting though. A huge harmonic string dive from a Floyd on a 12'er bass.

What would that sound like? Probably a battleship keeling over on it's side.

Jim, Jim, Jim...

I was getting at the fact that doing something like that would be the "workaround" to getting a Chap done. The B-12L body is basically just a contoured Chapparal body. Hamer's bass bodies (doublecut, Standard, Chapparal) are basically the same size as their lil' guitar buddy counterparts, just have different neck joints/bridge & pickup location routes...

;)

Archived