Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Guitar ATA Flight Cases

DavidE

Remember the gorilla in the old American Tourister or Samsonite ad (I can't remember which one)? Well, that's our roadie. ;-)

We have some gigs this summer where I would let him handle my guitars if they were in significant road cases like my amp.

There are lots of road cases available these days, but I've seen people get some that are down right flimsy.

So, what's the minimum wood thickness for a decently strong road case? Is 1/4" plywood enough???

Dave, 1/4 should be enough, although you can go thicker just for the added peace of mind. However, today you may not even want to go with plywood. They make cases that are stronger and lighter and are fully ATA approved, but made of composites and plastics.

I'm ditching my Anvil wooden cases, which weigh a ton, in favor of A&S cases for my guitars.

They are light, very strong, and you can still get whatever colors you want on the inside and outside.

The hardware is the same as on an Anvil--it's just the panels that make a difference.

Next trip to LA next month, I'm bringing some down to have the shapes drawn out, and I'll just go back to LA 2 weeks later to pick them up.

Check them out. They use your choice of wood or plastic, in several different types and thicknesses.

A&S Case Company

The roadcase for my 30 year old Vibrolux Reverb and Prosonic is an A&S. With the exception of one broken butterfly latch, this thing has taken some serious abuse over the years and is still going strong. I have an SKB for my 2x12 combos that also fits my 4x10 Mesa Blue Angel that I've been using at gigs lately.

There's a case on Ebay for $99 new that looks ok. 1/4" plywood, recessed butterfly latches etc.. Probably cheap junk?

What are the A&S cases gonna run Mobby?

OK, the one I'm ordering has the wheels at one end, normal silver hardware, and the plush interior, with a nice big accessory pocket. No locks (can't lock the case on an airline anyway)

It runs about $400 bucks set up like that. The Anvils and Calzones where a bit more.

It's nice because with a guitar in it it will still weigh well under 55 pounds, which for most airlines is the limit for a piece of luggage without paying an upcharge.

Yeah, it's not cheap, but neither are the guitars they are protecting, so I figure it's worth it.

Archived