Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best live musical moments on "Saturday Night Live"

Oh-tay, the Gilda Radner impersonation of Patti Smith recollections from the Hall of Fame thread (+1 on wondering what the hell Smith ever did to merit inclusion) inspires a new thread. I nominate the following (in no particular order):

Joe Cocker & John Belushi duet of "Feelin' Alright"

Devo: "Satisfaction" (Gawd only knows how many people, in late '78, saw that quintet that looked rejects from a nuclear waste disposal site and said "Whut the hayull izzat?")

Elvis Costello: Meltdown on "Less Than Zero" (I think) switching to "Radio Radio". Re-hashed in person on one of the anniversary shows...but who remembered the original?

Fran Tarkenton singing "Feelings"

The best part of the Blues Brothers initial appearance was Ackroyd and Belushi's "choreography". I always thought the Blues Bros. was self-indulgence by that twosome, but at least they got some ace backing musicians...and Duck Dunn sez he thought Ackroyd and Belushi were sincere in what they were trying to do.

Belushi horning in on Frank Zappa's band...on more than one show as I recall.

Funny, a lot (if not all) of these happened in the same decade, and I bet such recollections are somewhat generation-based. May add more later if I think of more, but will also note that one of the worst appearances was Faith No More.

My favorite will always be the '81 Karen Black/Cheap Trick show. It just rocked. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - "Refugee" and "Don't Do Me Like Dat". A favorite.

Ditto on the Costello performance.

I also REALLY liked the '91 Teenage Fanclub spot.

Recently, I think the Strokes were great as was the Pearl Jam show from a year ago or so.

Choppin' Broccoli comes immediately to mind (Dana Carvey). Also Queen doing "Little Thing Called Love" It rocked.

There were SO many great ones including those mentioned already.

Belushi with Zappa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKkv_EcFcM

Some of the ones I remember were the really bad ones....

What was the band that did "She drives me crazy, ooo ooo... like noone else... ooo ooo" The singer was SO far off it was awful.

How about 4 Non Blondes? Singer was obviously sick and couldn't sing, but did anyway. Take that Jessica's sister! Of course she's doing very well these days as a song writer, musician and maybe producer?

Carly Simon circa 1976: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMwgTaZ8hy8

I think I remember The Cars, Queen with Bowie, Natalie Merchant, Paul Simon, Paul Simon, Paul Simon, Paul Simon with George Harrison, Delbert McClinton,.....

Here's a link to a list!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Satur..._musical_guests

Oh man, I just remembered all of those Leon Redbone performances!

What was the band that did "She drives me crazy, ooo ooo... like noone else... ooo ooo" The singer was SO far off it was awful.

Fine Young Cannibals

How about Rod Stewart doing "Hot Legs" with Tina Turner guesting in a micro-mini-dress?

Oh-tay, the Gilda Radner impersonation of Patti Smith recollections from the Hall of Fame thread (+1 on wondering what the hell Smith ever did to merit inclusion) .

definitive cover of gloria

I should stop just after that one

dancing barefoot

people have the power

frederick

because the night

definitive cover of so you want to be a rock and roll star

maybe not Yessongs but good stuff

edited to add the Patti Smith Band doing My Generation on SNL was unbelievable. A memorable performance.

I certainly haven't seen them all, but one of my best has to be The Replacements. In their peak just before Bob lost it. Probably drunk and still mischevious, you could almost lip read "WTF is up with Bob?" after Bob tossed his Les Paul. Great and sad at the same time.

Keith Richards w/ Expensive Winos were memorable. Keith's amp bleeding thru the mix. Drayton and Jordon swapped bass & drum duties. I could hardly hear Waddy.

The Cowboy Junkies were sublime and smooth and, believe it or not, Terence Trent D'Arby was very good.

Noticable flubs ~ 10,000 Maniac bassist total missed going back to a verse. Fuc|<ed it really bad. Also, The Bangles had a guest key player for "Hazy" (I'm thinking it was David Kayne living a fantasy) totally screwed one of the 2 second fills he had to perform. Toast!

I haven't seen many episodes since 2000....I'm may be fortunate. I always managed to catch, say, Bobby McFerrin and miss Midnight Oil :P I have a higher recollection of King Crimson being on Fridays!

Guest pirateflynn

Definately Elvis Costello

The Talking Heads

George Harrison and Paul Simon

and even Patti Smith (because the night!)

Man, what great show the 1st couple of years!

TANGENTS/SIDEBARS:

The Stray Cats on "Fridays", touted as their first national appearance unless you count them with Dave Edmunds in a rep-MTV video (IIRC) cover of "The Race Is On". Seeing a 2 1/2 piece band with gravity-defying quiffs was another "Whut the hayull izzat" moment.

The Plasmatics on "Tomorrow" with Tom Snyder, ca. 1981. "Singer" Wendy O. Williams, dressed as schoolgirl IIRC, leaned over, hiked her mini-skirt from behind and wiggled her bohunkus, causing the camera to abruptly cut away from the burlesque move, and somebody in the audience tried to steal Richie Stotts' Flying V right off of him when he went charging into the seats.

Some more obsucre ones...

Black Crowes in 91 I think (1st record-They did Thick & Thin and Angels I believe) and again in 92 I believe (Southern Harmony, they did Sometimes Salvation and an as yet unrealeased Non-Fiction eventually on Amorica-gotta hand it to them for not doing the obvious every time).

The Cult was pretty trippy during the Love era.

Best moment just hit me. Paul McCartney doing 3 songs (late 80's maybe) the last one being Hey Jude. It was around Christmas and I *feel* like it was one of the first times he did a Beatles tune on network television as a solo artist. It was sort of unexpected and very moving. You could feel it.

I seem to recall an appearance by Joe Jackson where he was apparently given a time limit for his song. This must have pissed him off, because he had an alarm clock sitting on top of his piano. When the alarm went off, he stopped the song immediately without finishing.

Stones "Shattered" -I thought the same thing. Tom Petty's first appearance with "Refugee"-I bought the record the next day. Also remember the one with Cheap Trick doing "Can't Stop It" and "Baby Loves to Rock"-possibly THE best one I recall from any SNL. Also remember Bowie in '75 or so (think it was SNL) where he was standing in some kind of tube or cylinder.

Archived