Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best live musical moments on "Saturday Night Live"

Okay, it's the Fridays KC, but they NEVER would have made SNL!! I still love that song...

Elephant Talk - Fridays

So King Crimson was Talking Heads before Talking Heads were Talking Heads?

That clip had fukkin' ENERGY!

I liked that a lot.

i remember watching that on friday night, then saturday morning riding my bike to the mall to buy the Discipline album w/ my paper route money.

I liked that a lot.

For some reason, the King Crimson/Talking Heads similarities struck me after seeing that clip when they never did after listening repeatedly to the Discipline album. But I´m pretty sure Belew worked with TH before he joined Crimson, so your comment might be in reverse.

i remember watching that on friday night, then saturday morning riding my bike to the mall to buy the Discipline album w/ my paper route money.

I had a similar experience that weekend, only without the bike or the paper route money.

That performance blew my mind. I think the second number that they performed was "Thela Hun Ginjeet" - more overly flanger'd and compressor'd feedback-driven solos and noises. I thought to myself, "This is MY kinda music!"

They slayed - plain and simple.

I went out the next day and bought that record.

I liked that a lot.

For some reason, the King Crimson/Talking Heads similarities struck me after seeing that clip when they never did after listening repeatedly to the Discipline album. But I´m pretty sure Belew worked with TH before he joined Crimson, so your comment might be in reverse.

Bonus question:

Robert Fripp worked with Brian Eno a lot in the seventies. Eno produced three Talking Heads albums.

On Eno's solo album "Before and After Science" the song "King's Lead Hat" is an anagram for ____________?

More importantly, anybody located the video of the Friday's performance for "Thela Hun Ginjeet" yet?

Guest pirateflynn

Bonus question:

Robert Fripp worked with Brian Eno a lot in the seventies. Eno produced three Talking Heads albums.

On Eno's solo album "Before and After Science" the song "King's Lead Hat" is an anagram for ____________?

Is it simply?

Talking Heads

Bonus question:

Is it simply?

Talking Heads

We have a winner!

He sure did!

"Thela Hun Ginjeet" is an anagram too.

A definitive example of Belew w/ Talking Heads is heard on THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS TALKING HEADS, a double live album. There's a squawling, bending guitar riff that intros "House in Motion", and you just know it's Belew, simple as that. But he confirmed such in an interview.

IMO one of the reasons King Crimson Mark III garnered immediate attention, particularly from players, was the intro to "Elephant Talk" being done on an Electric Stick. 'Fess up: Didn't that riff just about stop you in your tracks first time you heard it?

I'd heard some other recordings of the instrument (including ones by inventor Emmett Chapman himself) but Tony Levin's application was definitely a different tangent, musically---most of the other Stick tunes were melodic, quasi-New Age fare, and Levin's aggressive manipulation was a polar opposite. Anyone who can play one of those things has my immediate respect.

For?

Wikipedia says:

Thela Hun Ginjeet is a single by the band King Crimson, released in 1981. Its tracks are from the album Discipline (1981). The song name is an anagram of "heat in the jungle", which is a reference to crime in the city.

For?

Wikipedia says:

Thela Hun Ginjeet is a single by the band King Crimson, released in 1981. Its tracks are from the album Discipline (1981). The song name is an anagram of "heat in the jungle", which is a reference to crime in the city.

I repeat myself when under stress......I repeat myself when under stress.......I repeat myself when under stress.......

Archived