Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Suhr Guitars.

BCR Greg

Guest Mike Lee

The first ones I ever saw at Mak'n Music in 1998 or 1999 had the best fretwork I had ever seen on any guitar. Neck to body fit was perfect too. Highest quality boltnecks on the market.

Guest pirateflynn

I'm the only guy I know of that didn't like his Suhr guitar.

It was a Swamp Ash Tele in a beautiful Black Cherry finish that I scored off Ebay. I didn't get a long with the neck shape plus it was heavy as hell. The good news is that I sold it for a profit.

It was only one guitar and everybody else seems to love them.

They are without a doubt....One of the best guitars available...I gots a couple..and well..I could go on and on but..I won't....If your thinking of taking them on Greg...By all means do!!! :P

the GearPagers are nuts over em, I tried one briefly @ a GP tonefest a few years ago, it was really nice but not much better than a Daytona in terms of quality, I think John gets the vintage vibe in his wood and neck carves more than most, they feel like a modern vintage ( sorry Jol LOL )

They are bolt neck guitars of the highest build quality. Great fret work, tremendous fit and finish; Top notch all the way.

However, IMHO they suffer from the same thing as many of the other high quality bolt neck guitars I've owned or played (Anderson, Melancon). While they are superbly built instruments they are sterile sounding; they don't have the soul one would expect from such a high quality guitar. YMMV

I had a chance to compare a few side by side with some Tom Andersons that were very similar. I thought the Suhr work was as good if not better than the TAs, the fret work was amazing, and overall fit and finish was simply spectacular.

Neck shapes, weight, pickups, etc - all subjective to me.

One of the guys I play with has a Tele shaped Suhr. He paid BIG bucks to have it built "just so". I am very impressed with the fit 'n finish and the sound is unreal. The pickups and push-button mid-boost circuit (iirc) make that thing cut through the mix like nobody's business!

I've only ever played one - it was a Strat-style, about 5 years ago or so.

IMHO, the build quality, feel & sound were tremendous. Definitely in the same "boutique-quality" league as my Anderson.

I would imagine the Suhr's are also priced somewhat like Anderson's (higher than one would expect for a bolt-neck Strat/Tele style guitar). But, if they are all like the one I played, the higher price gets you a guitar with meticulous build quality.

Guest Meshuggah

I've only played two.

One, I asked the cleric to bring the finest on the rack.

Very cut and dried, no frills Olympic white. Impeccable but distant.

Second was too prettily sunburst not to not fondle.

No magic either, but I could stare at it all day,

sometimes twice a day...

The only one I've tried (a Classic w/vintage tuners, bent saddles on a 2-point bridge) was simply awesome. Great vintage style but super-solid and refined build quality. The stainless steel frets were a joy, as was the fat neck. It was better than my old Melancon and the 2 Anderson's I've tried.

I prefer Suhrs to Andersons for 3 reasons:

1) Andersons feel like a modern 'improved' version of a classic. Suhrs feel like more like a traditional Fender, with unsurpassed playability. The ones I played were very hard to put down. Not because I was GASsing or feeling greedy; they were such a joy to play.

2) Anderson pick-ups have the 2 love/ hate camps. Unless the p-ups are in Pro Am, put me in the second of the 2 camps. Suhrs sound wonderful, but many gripe saying that they are too weak, not understanding that tone will be sacrificed for a beefed up sound.

3) For $1600, you can buy a Suhr Pro Series PLEKed. Considering the cost of sending in a guitar to get PLEKed, these are the true bargain answer for those that want to play rather than sniff corks all day.

There is a custom Suhr in my future, just as soon as the judge in Seattle releases a few mil. to an old friend. But that is another story.

I'd vote for Tyler as the ugliest HS. Of course that Kendrick looks like a retarded Gumby head.

The one I had was not good. I bought it used and blame it on the guy who spec'd it out. Suhr will pretty much build whatever you order. Some folks should stay away from the pad & pencil.

I have one of his Tele's and its gotta be one of the best I've ever played. His big 56 V neck is my all time favorite, and much I prefer his pickups over Andersons.

Archived