Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Nice Guitar Center score today

MCChris

So bruce919 and BadgerDave met at the Guitar Center in Merrillville, IN to do a deal on Matt's Gretsch. I got there after Matt left, but Dave and I went in and saw two 2TEK Cruises on the wall for $400 each. The 5 string was pretty beat with a badly bowed neck and a truss rod that was beyond full adjustment, but the 4 string was in very nice shape, so I bought it.

I occasionally have to play bass in my jam band, so this is a nice score for me (my other bass is a Squier PJ bass; not bad but certainly nowhere near the Cruise's level of quality). Another bonus was full EMG active electronics. Anyone know if this was ever a stock array? First knob seems to be a master volume. Second one has a center notch, so I'm guessing a pickup pan? Third is a stacked dual pot; no idea what it does, but with the bottom one rolled fully clockwise the bass has a big fat sound that I love. Can anyone give me some insight into exactly what all the controls do?

First thing I did when I got home was pull a Jaco and yank the tortoise pickguard; always wondered what these basses looked like nekkid. Looking forward to playing it live tomorrow night.

cruise001.jpg

cruise002.jpg

cruise003.jpg

Wow! Just like mine, but with EMGs and no p/g. I highly approve - you'll love it.

Good score, Chris.

The knob setup on that is volume, pickup pan and concentric active bass and treble controls. I have that electronics setup on a couple of my basses (only a P and J pickup configuration), and you can just about go from Duane Eddy to mudslide with it.

Funny how the white turned yellow anywhere that was exposed to light.

Actually, the bass is kind of a Mary Kay blonde, and it's lighter where the pickguard used to be. Stained by nicotine, perhaps? I might put the guard pack on. We'll see.

Actually, the bass is kind of a Mary Kay blonde, and it's lighter where the pickguard used to be. Stained by nicotine, perhaps? I might put the guard pack on. We'll see.

Cool Score and the controls are just like my Standard twelve

BTC System

For EMG pickups only, the BTC System features a pre-wired balance control (blend) and master volume with the bass and treble on a concentric pot. BTC Controls and Systems are the most widely used bass EQ Systems in the world. Approximately 12db of cut and boost are available for bass and treble and all controls are center detented to assure quick return to normal tone settings. A dual-dip switch is mounted to the PC Board that lets you program the high end frequency response four different ways so you can choose the sound that's right for you. These systems use the latest in surface mount technology, are extremely quiet, and require very little current from a 9 Volt battery.

Package Includes: 2 concentric knobs and 2 knobs for balance/master volume.

EMG BTC System info page

Holy Crap what a score!

There was a stock version of the Cruise 4 with the EMGs. I'll try and dig out some info for you.

After I got my Black Cherry burst 4, the store I was working at got one of those trans white 4s in, but passive. I would have loved to had the opportunity to get it, but there was no funds at all.

What color p/g?

....jeez, $400 is a stupid good price for that.

Congrats!

Best Wishes

My 2TEK Cruise never had a pickguard on it and it looks killer that way. I was never a fan of that guard, so I was glad to get one that never had screw holes drilled. Hope to have pics of it up soon. I know I'm biased, but I think it sets a pretty high standard for the look of Cruises.

Dood! Great score...I checked out that bass...weren't they asking $800 for it about a month back? I actually wanted to buy it (I offered $500) and the knucklehead manager made a huge stink about "how undervalued this bass already was."

The 2-Tek really adds to this bass. It is about as close to mint as it can be, too, if I remember correctly.

Again...Great score!

Actually, I think it's a reaction to sunlight, or bleed-through from the wood. I had an opaque white cruise 5 that yellowed because it was obviously hanging in the front window of a store in Arizona. There were even inverse "shadows" of white next to the knobs and pickups. Weird.

When I sold mine to Chris M., it had the tortoise pickguard, but he changed it to the white pearloid - which I think is a big improvement. That bass was the same kind of Mary Kay blonde, but a translucent white under the pickguard.

Dood! Great score...I checked out that bass...weren't they asking $800 for it about a month back? I actually wanted to buy it (I offered $500) and the knucklehead manager made a huge stink about "how undervalued this bass already was."

Yeah, on the pricetag it said "List: $895" so that must have been what they had it priced at previously. End of the month purge, perhaps?

There was another guitar there (not a Hamer) that had a ridiculously low price on it, but even heavily discounted, it was up over a grand. I successfully resisted temptation, even after a couple beers at Hooters and the relentless enabling of BadgerDave.

Archived