Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Prince Rules

jisham

Really enjoyed his playing though as a rule I despise the overproduced overhyped super halftime shows in general. I would much rather see/hear great marching bands perform as a matter of footbal tradition.

Well, Prince gave you that as well.

I've been a fan since seeing the movie "Purple Rain" and have a few of his CDs.

His mastery of various instruments (and his famous song, "1999") put him on the January 2000 covers of Guitar Player, Bass Player, and Keyboard Player simultaneously.

I've always felt that he's so well known for singing, songwriting, discovering talent, and producing, that he doesn't get the notice he deserves for his guitar playing. With all that other ability, he can really rip.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude can wail. The 'prince' shaped guitar sounded good, but the Floyded strat was my fav. Really liked the song selection, too.

AWESOME

Do the math baby. MINNEAPOLIS the epicentre strikes again.

Back in the day, marching bands were the halftime show. Prince blended that back in too. who the HELL could have done any better then Prince. AND he could hit all the notes. AMAZING

Agreed. He's had better shows. But not against all these odds with 100 million eyes looking on. If you're at all an entertainer and can't appreciate what just happened. Get outta the business; you're dead.

Okay. You all caught my attention. But as Im sitting on the other side of a big bloody ocean.

SOMEBODY POST A LINK!!! To where I can see this on the internet. Prince is a fav player for sure!

THANKS! That was massive. WIsh I could´ve been there.

I almost pulled the trigger on one of those H.S. Anderson / Hohner Telecasters a few weeks ago. But what the heck, I would not have played like your royal highness anyways, so I did not bother.

Edit; Wow, watched it. Goosebumps, shit pomfritt!

+1 on Kiz's assessment - the man kicked absolute ass in what could be one of the toughest performance situations one could imagine (playing live in the rain, in a stadium, on a freaky stage setup, with everything rushed, worldwide TV audience, and I'm sure there are other hurdles for that gig we would never consider).

After the show, my 15-year-old raced to my stash of CDs and dug out my Prince greatest hits compilation. I may have to rent "Purple Rain" for us this coming weekend - I haven't seen it since it was in the theater.

+1 on Kiz's assessment - the man kicked absolute ass in what could be one of the toughest performance situations one could imagine (playing live in the rain, in a stadium, on a freaky stage setup, with everything rushed, worldwide TV audience, and I'm sure there are other hurdles for that gig we would never consider).

After the show, my 15-year-old raced to my stash of CDs and dug out my Prince greatest hits compilation. I may have to rent "Purple Rain" for us this coming weekend - I haven't seen it since it was in the theater.

Man, I watch Purple Rain every three months or so and it NEVER gets old.

Very moving. Isn't the "symbol" guitar a Hamer? I wonder if the recent purple one would have been on stage if he hadn't returned it...

Schecter makes the "symbol" guitars for the USA market, although I know Edwards clones them and are sometimes available on ebay.

Jaye,

Thanks for posting the links. I was soooo looking forward to seeing that, but insted was in the emergency room with my Son during most of the game. My Son will be ok, my team lost, but PRINCE rocked!

Thanks,

Mark.

i thought the 2nd guitar (purple strat) sounded best, but maybe it was the only one that he used the neck pup on (?).

we sometimes do "purple rain" at acoustic duo gigs, it goes over pretty good.

Have you ever tried to play a finished maple fingerboard in the rain? Once those things get wet, they are virtually impossible to negotiate, especially any type of bending. The fact that Prince could do monster bends and stay (mostly) in tune is hugely impressive.

I noticed that the "symbol" guitar was horrifically out of tune almost from the moment Prince started playing it. Still, he was able to bend into pitches in a way that i haven't seen anyone other than Hendrix do.

Little Prince Nelson can play the crap out of those guitars!

Archived