Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Prince Rules

jisham

Observations from a life-long Prince fan...

1. Lately Prince has embraced his inner guitar-God - SNL, RNRHF and now this. Does anybody remember so much guitar in a live situation.

2. A man with a body of work like he has playing covers - and one probably obscure to most of the audience like "Best of You"...in front of 100 million people. BALLS!

3. Purple Rain in the the rain. Wow.

4. The dancers and the man himself sportin' some major heels, yet no tumbles. Not one slip.

5. Finally tearing off that head rag. Hope it never comes back.

6. How can they top this one?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the "critiques" of Prince's halftime performance posted on other boards (HC, TGP) makes me:

1. Thankful for this board

2. Ashamed to call myself a guitar player when so many ridiculous assholes can do the same

Reading the "critiques" of Prince's halftime performance posted on other boards (HC, TGP) makes me:

1. Thankful for this board

2. Ashamed to call myself a guitar player when so many ridiculous assholes can do the same

this board has more than just guitar players. It is rich with ENTERTAINERS.

Anyone who appreciates entertaining has to be in awe; period.

All the odds we're against him and he DOMINATED!

6. How can they top this one?

Get Shakira to have a major "wardrobe malfunction". It may not be as good musically, but I'd watch. :lol:

I joked before Prince started that he would have a wardrobe malfunction and that his crank would fall out.

During his solo in "Purple Rain," when he was behind that sheet with the side view of his shadow being cast on it and playing the Prince guitar, the whole room was spitting out soda and chips.

If the Super Bowl ever had a better halftime show, I don't remember it. I'm not even particularly a Prince fan, but I always have admired his guitar playing and his halftime performance certainly impressed me. It was nice watching him abuse a Telecaster as well.

I missed the half-time show and regret it. I haven't watched the Super Bowl in years. I was

at work today and my co-worker was bitching about Prince playing the half-time gig. He is only

22 and i understand in a way because Purple Rain was before his time. But still,it couldn't have

been worse than Justin Timberlake. I am convinced that the present generation couldn't hear

the difference between a car crash and a rap show and discern the difference.

And does everybody realize that Prince turns 49 in June? By the time Benny Goodman was that old, he was playing nostalgic reunion concerts, and Artie Shaw had put away his musical career for good.

It's been almost 23 years since the release of "Purple Rain." In another 11 years Prince will be (gasp) 60!

Unbelievable that his whole vocal range is still intact. I lost most of my falsetto by my early 40s.

Guest Meshuggah

I like Prince 'cuz he had a dark haired girl with big tits on a motorcycle in some movie a while back.

What ever happened to her?

I like Prince 'cuz he had a dark haired girl with big tits on a motorcycle in some movie a while back.

I think she found God and stopped taking her shirt off. A damn shame.

I think you are correct if memory serves. Appalonia or something like that right? Oh well, she's gone...Prince ain't.

I think she found God and stopped taking her shirt off. A damn shame.

That was Vanity (unless Appalonia found God, too).

Hey folks,

Prince rocked the Halftime show at the Super Bowl. Perhaps the best band they've ever televised. That guy has been doing it for the last 20 years, plays guitar, bass, keys, & drums, produces his own albums and is an entertainer to boot. It gives me hope that all music isn't dominated by rap or hip-hop and musicianship is held in high regard.

Guitar George

I joked before Prince started that he would have a wardrobe malfunction and that his crank would fall out.

During his solo in "Purple Rain," when he was behind that sheet with the side view of his shadow being cast on it and playing the Prince guitar, the whole room was spitting out soda and chips.

+1000

My wife and I were laughing our asses off. My 11 year old daughter, kept

asking, " What? What's so funny???"

I kept waiting to hear the FCC was gonna ring him up for the "shadow puppet".

I'm not a Prince fan at all, but I really got goosebumps when he

started playing "Purple Rain" in that downpour. Great guitar playing.

I always heard that the Nation Anthem and halftime show sound was pre-recorded

a few days before the Stupor Bowl, and then lip-synched. That way in case of

a sound problem, there wouldn't be a glitch. Anybody else ever heard this?

A glitch like the singer crashing his drunk ass into a tree on the way to the stadium?

Some of the spooks on other message boards have been commenting all day about audible pitch correction during Joel's performance, but I haven't heard it myself to confirm.

+1000

My wife and I were laughing our asses off. My 11 year old daughter, kept

asking, " What? What's so funny???"

I kept waiting to hear the FCC was gonna ring him up for the "shadow puppet".

I'm not a Prince fan at all, but I really got goosebumps when he

started playing "Purple Rain" in that downpour. Great guitar playing.

DAMMNIT!!

I musta missed the 'shadow puppet' cuz something like that is exactly what I was waiting for.....something over the top, weird and crazy and, ya know, 'Prince-like'....and I missed it :D oh well.

Prince kicks ass, no doubt...but as for being against all odds....NOT :lol: .NOTHING is left to chance anymore. He did what he does everytime....I would imagine that he had a HELLA suite to rehearse & get warmed up in, wouldn't anybody?

I have no doubt that he was one of the LEAST nervous people in the stadium :D:lol:

I'm not slamming....It WAS the best halftime show that I remember, BUT

people will NEVER forget Janet's tit :lol::lol:

A little more to the story, from "the internet:

Apparently there was a feud between Prince & Grohl...

Grohl got permission to record several Prince songs from Warner Brothers. He (Prince) wasn't into it because Grohl never asked him directly. Prince said Grohl should write his own songs. Grohl said sorry I'm just a huge Prince fan and Prince's response was performing "Best of You" tonight at the Superbowl.

That has often been the case, but they have been trying to get away from that the past few years.

Prince was all-the-way live - no question about that.

Billy Joel was also live. You can tell because his vocals were as flat as a mid '80's Morgan Fairchild.

Wikipedia article on Apollonia Kotero.

Archived