Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My feelings about vintage guitars

salem

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was flipping through an issue of Guitar Player from 1985 this morning and ran across an article on bursts. This sentence kind of grabbed me. "I have even heard of bursts going for as much as $14,000!".

I have a 74 Tele Deluxe. It could be 72. I haven't played it in a few years. The Humbuckers are probably improving with age.

My guitar was played in a opening act for Blackfoot. I don't have anything to substantiate, but it makes for something of an OK story.

It is obviously CBS. Would that be considered vintage???? Over 25 years would be the cut-off, I would imagine.

If a guitar is a part of rock history, then there shouldn't be any question to its value.

But if it's been kept in Joe Blow's closet for years, I don't see how an astronomical price would equate to its value??

And just a few years before that (81 or so) I remember the Guitar Trader ads (Red Bank, NJ) where the guy's holding a '60 Burst and says something to the effect that the guitar he's holding sells for "about three thousand dollars", but all of the other guitars pictured here sell for well under $1000. Pictured are a 63 FB1, a white guard 50s Tele, a sunburst pre-CBS Strat (60s) and a TV LP Special singlecut. Damn-Peter, can I get a ride in the wayback machine? Please?! :ph34r:

Salem has his opinion. That's fine.

My opinion is that he doesn't know shit about vintage guitars. That's fine as well.

Anyone that thinks that arguing with a TROLL is a good idea is lucid as Salem.

Salem is and always will be a troll. My opinion.

I don't care for/against trolls.

If they are trying to stir up a thread for an intellectual debate that's fine. Some people are soft shelled and it is entertaining to see others get offended.

But if a troll has low and destructive self-esteem; and can't articulate any arguement but make a single inflamatory statement without any facts, then their lame-o. Poor souls who aren't able to date on Friday nights and need Mommy's help when the bills don't get paid.

well, I own a 58 LP Jr , ask Brooks about my guitar

HHB came over a few weeks ago w/ his 58 jr.

it sounded so good we just passed it back and forth,

bashing powerchords and shaking our heads w/ amazement!!

i would like to hear it next to a korina hamer jr w/ a wraparound,

but it definately out rawked all my guitars w/ its beautiful fat ringing ac-dc tone, unreal.

HHB1-07.jpg

Vintage guitars to are an investment ONLY. I will not go out spend that kind of money on a old guitar(unless it was just a holy grail type of player & I had the $$ to drop on it) . If I come across one cheap ,yes I will buy it because I know it will make a good investment. Guitars today are better built, & there is better more selection. The whole Vintage thing is just not me. Hopefully if I keep the ones guitars I have newer ones & the few older ones I have for 30+ years, they will Vintage & make my senior years a bit more easy.

I was flipping through an issue of Guitar Player from 1985 this morning and ran across an article on bursts. This sentence kind of grabbed me. "I have even heard of bursts going for as much as $14,000!".

Out of curiosity I was wondering how much of the vintage appreciation might be attributable to inflation. It turns out that $14,000 in 1985 translates into almost $27,000 in 2007, according to a few inflation calculators I found on the Web.

Vintage guitars to are an investment ONLY.

This is YOUR opinion. If you can't tell the difference between a real vintage guiar and one built to immitate it, that's a short-coming of yours - not a misconception of those that can tell the difference.

Guitars today are better built, & there is better more selection.

Again: Opinion. As for there being a "better more selection," more can often be less in an art where less is more.

The whole Vintage thing is just not me.

And there we have it. It is personal taste.

All of those that claim there is "no difference" should just admit that they either can't tell, don't care, or are not interested. But to say that there is no reason for the prices obviously don't understand Supply and Demand.

Hopefully if I keep the ones guitars I have newer ones & the few older ones I have for 30+ years, they will Vintage & make my senior years a bit more easy.

HUH?

Will "The whole Vintage thing" be "you" in 30+ years?

Will it make sense then?

Would I like an old Strat or Les Paul? Hell yeah! But I couldn't really use it other than to record.

I know the vintage pieces have a great sound, but if I'd be scared to take it out of the house, what good is it? Imagine a vintage piece crashing to the floor because some drunk tripped over a floor monitor. Since playing live is mostly what I do, I prefer utility to collectability, that's all. I've seen that sort of thing happen, so I don't use irreplaceable gear. For me, at some point, an aging guitar loses its utility value. Then I may as well hang it on the wall to impress my friends. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :ph34r:

Since I can't keep my fat mouth shut, I'll try to explain how I see it.

I used to buy "old" guitars. Now those guitars are "vintage". Many of the guitars that I have ARE superior to modern guitars because of the woods used and the ahppy accidents that contributed to a fantastic sounding and playing guitar. Would I pay $300,000 for another guitar like any that I own now? Not for personal use but definitely if the market continues to climb.

I bought a near perfect 54 Tele blackguard a few years ago for $2350. It SAT for a while, nobody wanted it. I traded it for two Firebirds. Those sold. The other day, a guy walked in with a whacked 54 Blackguard Tele. I offered $25,000 for it. He passed. That's a big change in 10 years.

My old Les Pauls are fantastic guitars, and they are not for sale. I play them at gigs. I record with them. They are priceless to me, tho getting a new Porche out one gets more and more inviting...

50-60s strats and teles were never cheap compared to new guitars in the '80s. some fenders were fetching 3-5k then.

as with any guitar brand there are incredible examples as well as turds.

actually this is a silly post to begin with., you either like early fenders and gibsons or you dont, but you cant compare apples to oranges.

I've had a ton of vintage fenders over the years ,loved the sound i got from them, but I always found the 7.5 radius to be non soloing friendly.

I still have a 50s tele which has been kept only for a conversation piece, owning it since '85 and thats probably the last time I actually laid hands on it.

sounds great, but sucks to play... yea strumming in the cowboy positions is fine but soloing is out.

as for lespauls... I miss the mid to late 80s when you could buy a paul for $250-500.... I'd love to cash in that stash all over again.

my neighbors down the road asked me over 2 weeks ago.

he was briefly in a somewhat regionally succesfull band back in the late '70s and has a stupid clean '60 lespaul, that many are trying to pry from his hands...his low offers are in the mid 40's.

gruhn calls him a couple times a year.

he's asked me a few times what he should do.... I keep telling him if he likes the guitar and "actually" plays it, doesnt need the money and is still enamoured with the idea of owning a vintage gibson,that theres no reason on earth to think of selling it.

I personally believe he enjoys the bragging rights , but what is bragging unless someone desperately wants what you got...

kind of like being the last man on earth and bragging you have a bigger dick than everyone else....

for grins, I brought over my beater '78 b&c sunburst and we compared the paul to it through his marshall... in my opinion the hamer was a much better playing/sounding guitar, my neighbor was surprised and even agreed.....

but it wasnt a fair comparison, so a moot point just like comparing a suhr or anderson to a vintage fender...

or a volkswagon to a ferrari.

whether you like them or not, unless someone is a real bonehead, its pretty obvious if you could buy vintage guitars for cheap cheap, you would and should...

Hopefully if I keep the ones guitars I have newer ones & the few older ones I have for 30+ years, they will Vintage & make my senior years a bit more easy.

HUH?

Will "The whole Vintage thing" be "you" in 30+ years?

Will it make sense then?

It will make sense if it makes me money.

Vintage, antique, collectable, I understand. It's the "relic" market that totally eludes me.

Matt,

I wasn’t a fan of the relics until I tried several. Some were OK, some were very good, and a few were among the best guitars I have ever played. I like the look of the lightly aged versions. Here are a couple that are phenomenal guitars. The first is a Nash, the second is a Fender with a few custom features – 9 ½” radius neck and big frets.

These truly feel old and played-in, though the frets are in perfect condition and the electronics don’t phart out.. I find them more comfortable to play than brand new shiny guitars. I’ll also admit that the look appeals to me.

1153903831256_WhiteTC_front_close.jpg

1157950655479_Sherwood_Strat.jpg

And just a few years before that (81 or so) I remember the Guitar Trader ads (Red Bank, NJ) where the guy's holding a '60 Burst and says something to the effect that the guitar he's holding sells for "about three thousand dollars", but all of the other guitars pictured here sell for well under $1000. Pictured are a 63 FB1, a white guard 50s Tele, a sunburst pre-CBS Strat (60s) and a TV LP Special singlecut. Damn-Peter, can I get a ride in the wayback machine? Please?! :ph34r:

I LOVED that place's newsletters.

well, I own a 58 LP Jr , ask Brooks about my guitar

HHB came over a few weeks ago w/ his 58 jr.

it sounded so good we just passed it back and forth,

bashing powerchords and shaking our heads w/ amazement!!

i would like to hear it next to a korina hamer jr w/ a wraparound,

but it definately out rawked all my guitars w/ its beautiful fat ringing ac-dc tone, unreal.

HHB1-07.jpg

I've owned 2 BCRjrs, a korina jr and a gibson RI junior. My '59 fits the comments above. Shake your fucking head amazing and truly irreplaceable and NON duplicatable.

I used to scoff at relics until I played the Fender 51 Nocaster thinline relic, masterbuilt by Chris Fleming. Awesome guitar in every way I could think of. I dunno if it felt so great because of the relic treatment or if that's just the way all of the Fender Masterbuilt stuff is.

http://www.privatereserveguitars.com/Fende...1149494.guitars

Archived