Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Which Speakers to Buy?

bubs_42

Which Speaker do you like the best?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have recently blown one of my GreenBacks and I'm on the search to replace it with a speaker that can handle the power of my 100 head but work well with my Class A 30 watter as well. So what I'm looking for is a Mid range wattage, I like blues, rock , I want a speaker that will do it all.

Speakers I'm currently looking at: Celestion G12H, Vintage 30 or even a combination of the two.

Eminence Red Coat, Wizard, Govener, RedWhite&Blues, Private Jack,

Cannabis Rex, Black Powder

Tone Tubby, Ceramic, Alnico or even a combination of the two.

The G12H/V30 combination is a popular ticket.

I'm using a combo of Ted Weber's take on a combo of an Alnico Blue with an up-rated power rating and a G-12-30, similarly up-rated. The end result is a 100 watt 2 x 12 cab that sounds ballsy and clear with whatever you throw at it.

Guest Meshuggah

I have a 2x12 slotted back Crusty cab with a V30 and a <trudges downstairs to look> a 70th Anniv. G12H-30W in it. I was going to bring them all up for sale separately in the next week or so.

My favourite Celestion is the original G12-65's from the early 80's. It's similar to the Greenback, but with a little more tightness to the bottom. A truly great sounding speaker. (I have not tried the reissues).

I've been a big fan of the green backs forever but...Just got one of the Marshall HW cabs that house the G12H 30 Heritage speakers and I think I've found a new home in speakers...they sound great!!

Vintage 30's are my favorites. They come in many of the highest end clean and high gain amps. Extremely versitle.

The Vintage 30/Greenback combo sounds amazing. Check out a Matchless DC30 for further proof. Some of the coolest guitar tones I've ever recorded.

I am a BIG fan of Celestion/Marshall Heritage speakers. These speakers were in the JCM600/JTM30 & 60 amps as well as some of the TSL series amps. I have been toled these are the same as the Lead 80 speakers but I did not know there one for a fact.

I have tried a few of the Eminence Red/Blue coat series & have not found one I have liked.

For a 10" speaker you can't beat the Celestion Vintage 10.

Tubby's!!!!!

Truly ear-opening. I think the reason these speakers don't get the kudos they deserve is that not many guys actually own them! I have two and they are amazing speakers. Great, tight bottom and a sweet top-end with more harmonics than you've ever heard come out of your rig before.

And, even better is mixing them with a different 2nd speaker in a 2x12. I've tried mixing them with 1/2 dozen other speakers V30, GB, G12M etc. The V30 and the Tubby Alnico are magicial.

They are expensive, but if you can, buy one, you won't regret it.

My favorite speakers for electric guitar are Celestion Blues (15 watts) but I've liked 70th Anniversary GH12's, too.

+1.

The new 50 watt Gold sounds great too if you like the Blue and need more power handling. My personal fave is the G12H Heritage paired in a 2x12 with a Blue.

Guest Meshuggah

Or a Scumback. I have one of those. Still not broken in but roll off the top of a woodier EVM12L and they sound alike, for now, when the stiffness of a new cone leaves, look out.

Nobody seems to mention Weber.

The Blue dog alnico for example.

Over here they are considered superb, anyone compared those ?

Conrad, I've got a Wber Blue dog, uprated to 50 watts, and Ted's version of a greenback in an Avatar cabinet. It's a superb-sounding box no matter what I lash it on to (see my post above).

I have the opportunity to buy a VAC 1X12 over here, with a blue Dog in it ,for a very good price, those speakers are selling 350 € (450 $) over here, I already have a Vac 2X12 with 2 v30's and a Rivera Clubster 45 (that was a big disappointment). So the Clubster will go and I'll swap one of the v30's with the blue dog.

I tried several speakers in my Carr Rambler looking for tighter bass response, smoother high end and nice even breakup.

The candidates were a Weber alnico Blue Dog, Weber alnico Silver Bell, Tone Tubby, Celestion Century, Jensen reissue, the original Kingpin and a Eminence Cannabis Rex.

Of that group, the Kingpin and Jensen were pretty obviously outclassed. Both speakers sounded thin and raspy in comparison to the rest of the field.

The Century surprised me. I expected it to sound sterile and "papery". It didn't. I didn't pick it as the best of the group for the Rambler, but it wasn't far behind.

The Webers were slightly different flavors, both very good. I'm using the Silver Bell in my '67 Deluxe Reverb where it tames some of the excess highs and makes that great blackface sound a bit rounder and fuller. The Blue Dog would work just as well in that application and I also came very close to keeping it in the Rambler. Not surprisingly, it sounds a lot like a well broken in Celetion Blue that I've used in several amps. Not quite as "open", but close.

Finally, the biggest surprise - to my ears, the Cannabis Rex sounded better, in every way, than the Tone Tubby. Clearer, slightly brighter, and more focused. The Tone Tubby was darker and more compressed. I'm not saying that the Tubby was bad, in fact it might be the top choice for a brighter, higher-powered amp, but the Cannabis Rex seemed to be the perfect match for the Rambler. It's still in there and seems to be getting better all the time.

Thanks guy's, I'm going to go with a set of Eminence speakers first. If I don't like them I'll try somthing else. Their is a pair of Governor Speakers on Ebay, I like vintage 30's but I also think their is somthing to be said about Items made in the USA. So this is the path I've chosen. Thanks again....

i just put a weber blue dog in a thiele 1x12 cab this weekend, sounds great. i prefer it to the V30 for clean to mid gain sounds (i also have a V30, but i left it in my 4x12). plus its not as bright as the V30, so it helps tame the bright tones of my G&L & univalve.

I like the George Scholz Speaker, expensive but it let's you hear the speaker/guitar combo and is great with high gain amps.

Archived