Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The First Tone That Made You Say... "Whoa!"

Hamerhack

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl Wilson's Chuck Berry-inspired opening for the Beach Boys' "Fun Fun Fun." I loved the way Carl got that woody clucking overtone.

George Harrison's semihollow, reedy sound in his fills on "Please Please Me", and the classic opening overdriven licks on "I Feel Fine."

Hendrix on "If Six was Nine."

It depends:

-Song: "Lazy", by Deep Purple. The moment I heard that song for the first time, my life literally changed forever.

-Tone: (I believe this thread is/was about this): "Can´t get enough", by Bad Company. Goosebumps, to this day.

-Musician: I was a drummer until I saw Albert King, playing live. Truly pivotal moment for me.

Hmmm... you know, probably the first tone that really got my attention was the lead in riff on "Journey To The Center of the Mind". I was only 11 at the time. However, the tone that still causes the hair on the back of my neck to stand up on end can be heard in "Red House" from "Hendrix in the West".

Jimmy Page -- Heartbreaker. The track is a dictionary of '59LP tones at its best. First song our circle of friends cranked up and destroyed a few stereo speakers.

JP played a 1960 Bigsby Black Beauty on that one. For 2 decades I never could figure out how he bent the strings until recently he issued a Sig model.

First tone that Rocked Me probably was Detroit Rock City. I'm not proud, I'm honest.

First tone that made me go Whoa is Gary Moore Still Got the Blues. I emailed him asking him how got the tone (never responded), which is through a Marshall Blues distortion (is that it?), I believe. And of course his Peter Green guitar that I think he sold off because he's broke (?). That tone warrented BOSS to issue their own Blues Breaker pedal.

There were tons of songs/bands that I dug tone-wise, but the first guitar "sound" that dropped my jaw was Accept (Wolf). I still can't listen to Balls to the Wall without inducing neck pain.

The Beatles, "I feel Fine". A neighbor kid played that record for me and the guitar feeding back at the beginning killed me.

Funny - that song intro did the same to me! Except, I was already at the mature age of 12 !! It did get me into guitar music and I eventually switched to the Stones. When I heard Jumpin' Jack Flash on Get Yer Ya Yas Out, I knew I had to get an electric guitar. When I heard Rory Gallagher play 'What's Going On" on Taste Live at Isle of Wight I know I had to learn how to play that damn thing...

Archived