Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Holy F^*^in SH@#!!!!

I don't know... as a strategy, having a few dormant ready to go accounts on ebay might be a good move. There mere suggestion of shill bidding almost stopped this one cold. It's a great move to make if you are trying to spook your high bidding competition.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Crap! I was bidder 1. If I was willing to spend that much for a set-neck Cali, I would have ordered a Watson with a Floyd a couple months ago. As I was saying to JustKid a few days ago, I predict there will be alot of setneck Cali's for sale very soon (hopefully at a bit lower price though!).

-Austin

Holy Crap! I was bidder 1. If I was willing to spend that much for a set-neck Cali, I would have ordered a Watson with a Floyd a couple months ago. As I was saying to JustKid a few days ago, I predict there will be alot of setneck Cali's for sale very soon (hopefully at a bit lower price though!).

-Austin

If their is anyone here with a SN Cali they almost be crazy NOT to sell it for $35-4,000 right now! Ok, who has them? LOL

Guest pirateflynn

calling 0 feedback bidders shill bidders based on the feedback score alone is ludicrous. I'm willing to bet the winning bidder is for real and a HFCer.

Could very well be.

I almost don't see how the winning bidder (or most of the bidders for that matter) couldn't be an HFC'er. I mean who else would be willing to spend that much for the guitar. Given the bidding history for the auction, I believe the winning bid is for real.

-Austin

I almost don't see how the winning bidder (or most of the bidders for that matter) couldn't be an HFC'er. I mean who else would be willing to spend that much for the guitar. Given the bidding history for the auction, I believe the winning bid is for real.

-Austin

I agree. Very likely an HFCer. But who? That's zee question!

I am pretty sure that "albiznus" is an HFC'er, but I didn't think the cali was his sort of Hamer, as if it is who I think it is, he has a much stronger preference for pointy hamers with cutouts in his toyz collection.

Peter.

I am pretty sure that "albiznus" is an HFC'er, but I didn't think the cali was his sort of Hamer, as if it is who I think it is, he has a much stronger preference for pointy hamers with cutouts in his toyz collection.

Peter.

And he's down n Florida :)

Insane price. You could commission an identical guitar and throw less D's at it.

Disagree. It is true you could probably have Hamer build you that guitar. But it would probably cost just as much and it wouldn't be a part of Hamer history. I understand this. To take this to the extreme to make a point....

You can get Gibby to make you a dead nutz on Jr. But people will still pay 10K for a clean vintage TV Jr.

I know that it isn't the same thing, but I think you get my point. The collectible market is more about history than wood and wire. This is a part of Hamer history, and that cannot be replicated.

The other thing is, if you buy something like a used set-neck Cali, it will be worth more than what you bought it for a year later. The same wouldn't be true if you spend the same amount for money to have Hamer build you a new Watson with a Floyd even though the Watson might be a "better" guitar (also, I believe the Watson would probably cost a bit more than what the SN Cali went for, but I can't find any of my quote information to verify that).

Again, isn't it kinda risky to bid on such a coveted piece using a zero feedback account? I'm asking cuz I don't know; y'all are the eBay nerds, not me.

And this "bidding under the cloak of anonymity" stuff is too cheesy for words. Reeks of the days when Abner Fucking Devereaux moderated around here.

Again, isn't it kinda risky to bid on such a coveted piece using a zero feedback account? I'm asking cuz I don't know; y'all are the eBay nerds, not me.

And this "bidding under the cloak of anonymity" stuff is too cheesy for words. Reeks of the days when Abner Fucking Devereaux moderated around here.

As long as the auction doesn't stipulate no zero feedback bidders, and you can pony up the cash real quick, I think it's a great strategy. It sure did spook a few guys.... all except one. If the other guy had gotten spooked too, our hero would have picked the guitar up for 3500. Not a bad risk at all.

I dunno what a Watson is listing for these days, but mine was way less (street) than that cali. Add lets say $500 list for a floyd upgrade and it still is way cheaper.

I got pricing information in late January and I'm pretty sure getting a Watson with a Floyd and boomers would have been more than that Cali went for (I seem to have deleted the email unfortunately). The Floyd upcharge alone is alot more than $500 (I think it was maybe 1K list on my Studio).

-Austin

Guest pirateflynn

Asinine. Absolutely zero reason for that much of an up charge.

Oh, I'm sure they have their reasons.

In this current enviroment in which 1 gallon of gas costs over $3.60 and when home prices are over $700 a square foot in Burbank, Ca. $1,000 (retail) for a Floyd Rose set-up doesn't sound that unreasonable. We might not like it but things are expensive as hell.

The Floyd upcharge alone is alot more than $500 (I think it was maybe 1K list on my Studio).

Asinine. Absolutely zero reason for that much of an up charge.

Economically, the reason for charging anything for anything is...because you can. Any other reasoning is irrelevant.

-Austin

Or they could be trying to make it prohibitive so as few people as possible go for that option.

I imagine that has something to do with it. Didn't stop me though! :)

Archived