Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Holy F^*^in SH@#!!!!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Floyd upchgarge is $1050 retail, which we all know isn't the actual price paid. How much does a repair guy charge to install a Floyd, including the cost of the Floyd? I think when you break it down to dealer cost for the Floyd option vs. aftermarket repair charge + parts, they're closer than you think.

Personally I can see how a Floyd Rose upcharge can cost that much. I sell CNC equipment and get this a lot when someone wants an option that is not part of our standard offering. For instance, our standard cutting table sizes are 5' x 10' or 6' x 12'. I had a customer that recently wanted a 12' x 8' table and, by his logic, the upcharge should have equalled the cost of the additional material involved for the larger table. When I accounted for engineering time to make the design change, time to test/troubleshoot possible issues with the larger design, time to update the drawings and schematics to accurately reflect the new machine configuration and (most importantly) money to cover the pain in the ass factor of building something we don't normally do the actual price was about 5 times as much as the customer thought it should cost. The guy was pissed at me and the reality was my company would have lost money by building it for any less.

In Hamer's case you have to account for the fact that tooling may have to be created or modified, a CNC program may have to be written, someone may have to take the time to input part numbers and vendor info into an ERP system, etc. Your local repair guy only is probably taking a Stew Mac template, a router and maybe a few hours labor to do the job (not that there is anything wrong with that but I doubt Hamer would approach it the same way).

I remember in the early 90's when I worked at a vintage guitar shop. I was new to vintage guitars and asked the owner why the vintage stuff cost as much as it did. He told me that, in his opinion, a vintage guitar was worth what it would cost to accurately reproduce it. That is no longer the case but,by his logic that set neck Cali was worth every penny that was bid on it.

It all isn't really "Cost" though.....it just depends on how much you "Value" your guitar. I am sure that a lot of you have put tons more money into a specific guitar that you like (probably more than the guitar is worth) over the years.

I know one guy that has every premier brand of guitar that you can think of. What does he play live? A Fender Squire. He has set it up the way he loves it; it stays in tune and he has put over $1000 worth the pups in it over time. It has knicks, bumps, dings and you couldn't get over $100 for the body on Ebay.

That is why I have put so much money into my 94 Daytona.....it is just worth it to me. When it's time to re-fret again, I will get it done one way or the other and not think too much about it. That is why I have been looking for a Daytona neck here lately....for down the road.

My Daytona is like a pair of old sneakers to me. :) Only it smells better.

Bill

most of my guitars have had extensive modifications, to where I'd never recoup the cost if I sold them. I have over $1000 in pickups, Sperzels, new bridges, etc in two of my doublenecks. My Hamer might fetch some money, but I have just as much in an Epiphone doubleneck, which wouldn't return virtually anything compared to what's been put into it.

The only untouched one is the Virt. But that guitar doesn't really need much in the way of mods.

Hey Mirrorimij - as a programmer/machinist I can understand the massive undertaking of building a bigger CNC machine. The ones we use are engineering works of art.

But to route a trem cavity should be pretty routine. The machine already exists, and so does the programming (although some editing is probably neccessary).

But it's the set-up times on short runs that are a killer. And when you're swamped with orders, tearing down to run something else is pretty disruptive. THEN you get to RE-set-up on the normal stuff. A genuine time-consuming PITA.

So, while the routing may be expensive, it's due more to the tear down/set-up/tear down than machining/programming.

I could be wrong. :)

Quick update.

I sent the seller an email asking if he could let us know where this guitar was going. He sent me back an email saying that the first response he had from the highest bidder was, is this a PRS? Well it was downhill from there.

The seller let me know that he is planning on re-listing on Thursday. I told him about this thread and he has started the registration process but is waiting approval. I told him I would provide a quick update until he can get on here and answer questions. He was concerned about all the shill bidding comments and would like an opportunity to address that.

Here we go again!

Have a great day.

Quick update.

I sent the seller an email asking if he could let us know where this guitar was going. He sent me back an email saying that the first response he had from the highest bidder was, is this a PRS? Well it was downhill from there.

Sounds to me like it WAS a shill situation, but not initiated by the seller. Perhaps someone trying to jack up the price for the inevitable offer to the next highest bidder, and then faking the PRS confusion as an easy way out? That'd be my conspiracy theory. But to what end?

This is a rare situation where the guy would probably be better off running a faux auction right here. He'd get a good price, minus the fees and other eBay asshattery.

Floyd upchgarge is $1050 retail, which we all know isn't the actual price paid. How much does a repair guy charge to install a Floyd, including the cost of the Floyd? I think when you break it down to dealer cost for the Floyd option vs. aftermarket repair charge + parts, they're closer than you think.

The price sure has gone up since the 80's. Back then, Hamer would "Kahler" a guitar for $200 including the tremolo unit.

Kahlernote.jpg

I thought faux auctions weren't allowed on this board?

If that were the case, pirateflynn would currently be on suspension.

They are allowed, but frowned upon and deserving of the harshest ridicule. That said, nothing we could unleash upon this guy here could possibly compare to the plethora of nightmarish scenarios one subjects himself to simply by being a member of the eBay community.

Me no likey eBay.

Guest pirateflynn

I thought faux auctions weren't allowed on this board?

If that were the case, pirateflynn would currently be on suspension.

I'll kill ya.

lol

• 2 weeks later...

89Caliwhkry_3.jpg

This just came back, the guy couldn't deal with the Floyd........

If you are selling, I'll take it. PM sent.

Hey Austin, first I was excited about this auction, this time I just looked at it - no feelings. I do not even know why, it's still a gorgeous guitar. And since Hamer will not built any of those, I've ordered one with the same specs at almost 1/3 of the price of that one ( a little more). Will see how it's gonna come out. Might take a while though.

Archived