Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Joining a Band...

DavidE

Is the band's object to be an entertaining "band" or to showcase/support a hot guitar player?

99 percent of the audience don't know squat about hot guitar players. Guit players are either "good" or "suck," and if you hit the changes and play solos that aren't total suckage, you're "good."

My uneducated guess is the average attendance/head count at a Green Day show exceeds the typical G3 event, but that's just a guess.

My uneducated guess is the average attendance/head count at a Green Day show exceeds the typical G3 event, but that's just a guess.

Certainly in the number of attendees with a vagina.

Cover band. Meant to be entertainment. I'm just thinking more in terms of what the other band members are used to. I'm not worried about the audience. They think I'm a lot better than I really am....

Cover band. Meant to be entertainment. I'm just thinking more in terms of what the other band members are used to. I'm not worried about the audience. They think I'm a lot better than I really am....

I wouldn't worry about it for the reasons Jeffro stated above.

I'm going to have to give this one some real thought. It would mean bolting on my singer in a couple of months, but he wants to play more times per month than I do anyway. This band is great. Blew me away when I saw them and they're new.

Agreed. Just do it already, DE!!

This band is great. Blew me away when I saw them and they're new.

Brother Tucker? :)

LOL.... no. But BT did decide to change their name.

Agreed. Just do it already, DE!!

Well, it's not so easy. My current band will be going by the wayside as two of the guys hit the road with Saving Jane again. This time we're not continuing the band with other people. Of course these guys could come back next fall or winter and want to play again.....

But the singer and I were going to continue as an acoustic duo (we already do duo gigs). However, I needed to play less for personal reasons and I'm concerned that I'll get bored doing only the duo. I really like to plug it an crank it up a bit.... Plus in the duo, I'm bringing pretty much all the gear, I sing (mostly backups and lead on some), I loop and play over the loop.... so there's actually a lot of concentration and almost work involved. ;-) When we do the duo, I do miss playing with another instrument. The singer wants to play a lot and although I told him not to book another gig until August (we have plenty through July), he has put pressure on me a couple of times to take weeknight and additional weekend gigs. He's turning down more gigs than we're taking. I stayed firm and told him he needs to find someone else to play with if he wants or needs to play more (no day job). I even approached dreamy Paul about playing some weeknight gigs with him. The singer seems to have backed off, but I'm concerned it's only a matter of time.

This other band plays only 2 or 3 times a month. Add an acoustic gig or 2 on there and I'm a pretty happy camper. But then I've left my old guys behind and frankly I've had more fun with them than pretty much any other band I've been with. Ever. Lots to think about...

Maybe their looking at other things you would bring to the band. Background vocals or lead vocals, BEER, wild women, or maybe it's because you still have a drivers license.

If they like you and you like them, make music!!!!

and the name of the band would be.......????

if you have to agonize over the decision that much it is not worth it. give the job to someone else that wants to go out play music and have fun. sit home drink watch tiv

Al forgot to take his pills today. And yesterday. Al: I'm booked through July and we're turning down gigs all the time. I don't sit home. Hell, I have three gigs next week. It's just a question of what I want to do starting in August. Acoustic duo only and wait to see if the old band comes back and starts back up or this other band.

3-part harmony on AC/DC cover=Red Flag

:)

Although the fellow siging lead did a pretty good "Bon".

Not easy.

Dave, I've heard you play. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Go for it. If you hate it you can quit. It's not a lifetime commitment.

Dave, I've heard you play. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Go for it. If you hate it you can quit. It's not a lifetime commitment.

+1

We'll bag on you all day long about your unconscionable cheapness and your resemblance to Newman, but no one can question your abilites as a guitar player.

Archived