Hamer Fan Club Message Center

refinish my Cruise bass?

refinish after reassembly?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd say if it's a one-off piece, keep it unless it's totally shot.

I'm considering a refin on my Cruisebass 5 too. I may have that place that paints the GMP guitars do mine over in a custom finish. Then mine will be a one-of-a-kind. Sort of...

I'm going through the same thing kinda...got a Cali with autographs on it and I've buffed out most them but...there's a "shadow" still there and considering just stripping it to the natural mahogany, Whick in my opinion always looks great..I'm just too damn lazy to do it....anybody here do any kind of work like that??

Good LORD, NO!!!

Of course, it's yours, so do whatever makes you happy. Just because I wouldn't do it, or because 75%, 80%, 99.9% of the HFC would tell you not to, shouldn't alter your decision.

But you'd be crazy to change that finish! (ha ha!!) :)

That finish is so 80's! From the pics, it doesn't look so beat up that it's painful to look at. From what I see in the pics, I'd keep it.

being totally 80's is definitely not a problem, I think my thoughts come from the fact that it sees some stage use, and the triangles might look better against a gloss black, not just in the 21st century, but just to my personal tastes as well.

I had thought that refinishing would be a necessity, but surprisingly I didn't damage the finish at all in removing the fretboard. It's interesting how the general consensus is so strongly against refinishing - is this due to some potential collectors value? Will I be kicking myself 20 years from now when one-off Hamer finishes trade at $50,000?

I guess in that case, the new 2 way truss rod and carbon fiber stiffening rods will also likely hurt it's value, but what good is a bass that is only playable five months out of the year (summer, when it's most humid)? In August of every year, this bass absolutely slays. Not so much of a rocker, but it does things other basses can't (and that's not counting the Kahler bridge). In December it's horrifically unplayable. Obviously, I think making this usable in the here and now is more important.

That being said, seeing as refinishing is not mandatory in this neck rebuild, I'll wait and see (when I got it five years ago I was hell bent on stripping it to mahogany and slapping some oil on it and calling it good. Y'all talked me out of that then too :))...I'll only take the leap if the stars are aligned just right, and I come across a god-like refinisher who can do a resonant good sounding finish on par with Hamer's original work. But for now I'm focused on getting that neck stable year round.

"Tobeeeeeeeee!!! I am the ghost of Mary James..... DO NOT REFINISH MY BASS!!!!!!!!

:)

I say don't refin unless you supplement the new graphic with nekkid girl pix and pledge to post before/after photos on the OC.

I voted no because I thought it looked pretty

cool, the triangles are a little goofy but it isn't so

dated looking like a zebra scarab (which I know some

people here LOVE) but for me I just couldn't play it.

That said, if the finish around the fretboard is now

all funky you might consider a refin if it helps the

improve the finish around the fretboard and, is a better

color you like. I'd only do that once I know the truss

repair is sound, and even then I wouldn't do it expecting

a return on investment.

...and even then I wouldn't do it expecting

a return on investment.

definitely not a concern - when the neck is happy (during the summer), this bass is bar none the best I've ever played. This one's a keeper - I'm very attached to it. Thanks again Dave for hooking me up with it :)

Unless there are too many nicks and dings that show up from a distance, keep the original finish on that one.

If it's not worn more than Willie Nelson's guitar then don't mess it up.

Archived