Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I have the most albums by....(fill in the blank)

Cheap Trick is far and away the top of this list. I've got all of their stuff through '85 on vinyl, cassette DVD, VHS and cd, and I just got some more boots from a fellow HFCer (thanks!!!).

Kiss probably is a close second, even though I really don't have much if anything from the post-Unmasked era.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started to answer this and when I sat down to think I came to realise I have to may LP's and CD's. It's just impossible to remember everything out of thousands of albums. But I have many artists that I love and pretty much own all their full lenght releases.

My collection takes up pretty much a whole wall in the dining room, and I keep my CD's in thin plastic covers, all jewel cases are thrown out.

Zappa then John McLaughlin

followed closely by Oregon and its offshoots

I'm a newly minted fan of McLaughlin's, had never really heard of him but stumbled across some old vinyl of his at a yard sale and bought it on a whim. The title of the album is "Johnny McLaughlin, Electric Guitarist", so I bought it ! :unsure:

Great stuff, really liked the Jeff Beck-ish style and the jazzy stuff too,,,, got any suggestions for my next McLaughlin purchase?

thx

Inner Mounting Flame

Birds of Fire

Between Nothingness & Eternity

McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra original lineup

Friday Night in San Francisco: McLaughlin in an acoustic trio w/ Al DiMeola & Paco Delucia

RE Hawkwind: semi +1, although I don't have that many albums, I've got a live DVD or two and dubbed the audio over to CD. Best album ever from 'em was SPACE RITUAL, a live 1973 two-fer. Back then, if I had a date in my apartment that wasn't working out, all I had to do was put on the spoken word "Sonic Attack" from that album, and she'd be outta there so fast she'd leave a vapor trail....appropriate analogy, considering the band's approach...

I can definitely see that as a date killer. Heck, it creeped out my college apartment-mates.

Lyrics

Little Feat - old line-up & new.

Richard Thompson - Fairport Convention period, guest appearances, soundtracks & most of the solo albums.

Gov't mule - studio & a lot of live work

B) every single Kiss(to include colored and pic disks), Cheap Trick, Beatles and Rush albums... quite a few Zappa but most of that is on cd now...

but only because i have OCD not cause im a fan or nothing :lol:

Randy :unsure:

Joe Jackson occupies most of my shelf space with about 25 releases on vinyl, CD, VHS and DVD, followed by John Hiatt, The Fabulous Thunderbirds (including Jimmy Vaughn and Kim Wilson solo stuff), Cheap Trick, Richard Thompson, Queen, UFO, The Pretenders and Rory Gallagher.

From the old school guys: Rolling Stones, Who, Hendrix, Cream, Zepplin

The newer stuff: Toto, SRV, Police

Virtuso stuff: EJ, Landau, Lukather, Phil Keaggy

Christian stuff: Phil Keaggy, Larry Norman, Resurrection Band/REZ

SABS (all the remastered ozzy era cd's, plus "heaven & hell", "mob rules", & the new "dio years" comp),

LIZZY (most of the post "fighting" cd's plus an early comp; had most of the vinyl years ago),

CHARLIE HUNTER (i think i have all his solo releases, and several of his side project/collaborations

like t.j.kirk, garage a trois, stanton moore, etc).

SCO (most of his stuff from "a go go" on, and a few earlier live & comp cd's).

RHCP's (used to have all of 'em, now i just have "uplift mofo party plan" thru "californication",

plus "stadium" and the "best of" disc).

VH (most of the DLR stuff).

ps- zoner & other ZZ TOP fans need to get the remastered "smoke & BBQ" box set,

they removed all the horrible digital reverb that was added on the "six pack" disaster.

I have a big collection from the '50s, with rockabilly my favorite. I collect rockabilly right up to today's rockabilly artists.

Many, if not most of us have gone from records to tapes to CDs and beyond, and will often acquire an album we always liked in any new format that becomes the listening standard.

Well, even if you're not replenishing your collection, what artists do you have the most albums by, and why? Could be stuff that was available on older formats PLUS newer releases on the newer formats. And yes, some of us have eveything a certain artist or band ever released, but that's not necessarily the intent of the inquiry.

You might be subjecting yourself to potential derisive remarks by admitting to owning a buncha albums by certain artists (as I'm about to do), but so what----it's your money and your listening collection.

As for me, the reigning champ is MOTORHEAD: Loud and always unique. Musical influence RE bass playing and "singing" (angle of the microphone, that is), too. 23 CD albums, a four-CD boxed set, one DVD/CD combo, one VHS.

I've also got a number of CDs by the Alan Parsons Project (melodic, well-produced/sonically-stunning, nice hooks...lyrics can be a bit banal at times, tho).

Tangerine Dream (mostly live stuff): I've always liked their use of VCS3s and related synths to set a bass "riff" and rhythm, then they add odd-but-listenable textures on top. You find yourself listening in a different way, and it usually doesn't get as boring as one might think. Disprortionate

amount of TD live material in my own collection.

The Ventures: The greatest and most influential instrumental rock band ever. Bogle, Wilson (and occasionally Nokie) are probably all now in their 70s and can still come up with great stuff.

I would have to say it's a toss up between Joe Satriani, Aerosmith, and Stone Temple Pilots. Lately though I just download and burn everything I need.

I forgot to mention I have everything from Liz Phair. I love that girl...I mean I LOVE that girl.

photo03.jpg

Well I love that Photo....

I have King's X first five cd's through Dogman. I also have one of their newer ones, Black Like Sunday. Great, great band.

I have several U2 albums and cd's.

Finally I have all 5 Fountains of Wayne releases. Fountains of wayne, Utopia Parkway, Welcome Interstate Managers, Out of State Plates and finally Traffic and Weather.

I really love that band.

rock

bford

You need to get King's X's Ogretones. Best of theirs in years!

I use to have all the U.S. released Led Zeppelin albums until my sister sold them at a garage sale. Now I have all the CD's. I also use to have all the KISS records, but I don't listen to KISS much anymore. I suppose my musical tastes have evolved a little.

That being said, one of my all time favorite albums is Bridge of Sighs. Trower still rocks and his old stuff just keeps souding better every time I listen to it.

Steely Dan: their entire discography on CD, plus a couple of LPs. I want to get all their LPs from 1972-80.

Brian Setzer: 4 CDs; used to have a cassette of Stray Cats. Intend to get more/all Stray Cats on LP.

Cars: Self-titled, Candy-O, Shake It Up, Heartbeat City

Bunch of Rod Stewart on LP, esp. for my wife, all the way back to Gasoline Alley and Beck-Ola

Others well-represented include a fair amount of jazz--Diana Krall, Buddy Rich, Quincy Jones, Don Ellis (4 CDs, at least 6 LPs), Gary Burton, Pat Metheny, and Modern Jazz Quartet.

One double Beatles LP (The Love Songs, released by Capitol in 1977), plus some CDs. To me the Beatles recordings sound best on LP and I intend to acquire several more, with Abbey Road in the immediate future. The good news is that a lot of freshly pressed Beatles LPs are in print. The bad news is that other than Abbey Road, they run $30-50 each.

I forgot to mention I have everything from Liz Phair. I love that girl...I mean I LOVE that girl.

One of the near-mint LPs that Santellavision so graciously sent me was Exile in Guyville. Very good recording, great emotional communication comes through on the LPs (it's a double).

KISS is the band that has gotten the most money from me. I bought vinyl when I was a kid. Cassettes in my 20's, and then I bought everything on CD. I have at least 70 hours of KISS on video. There are some bootlegs in there, too.

Tommy Bolin. Got about 25 CD's of his (Solo, Zepher, Cobham, Deep Purple, James Gang). I've been a fan from his early days in Boulder CO to his short-lived solo career. Billy Cobham's Spectrum album still gives me chills today. I even owned one of his Strats for a while until I returned it to the Family.

RIP Tommy.

Archived