Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I have the most albums by....(fill in the blank)

I think roughly in order

ZZ-Top

Aerosmith

Kings-X

Charlie Hunter ( in various guises)

John Scofield

Basically I buy anything those first three put out. Same with Robin Trower, though his output hasn't been as large. I keep buying Aerosmith, hoping one day that they will be a rock band again.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edited to add descriptions:

King's X= all studio, all of the solo stuff (except 1 or 2 from Dug, I have one of his), demos etc. Sometimes it took awhile to get into their albums but then it would really hook you. Now I just lkike 'em right off. One of the best live performances I've seen. Very cool ppl too!!

then probably Cheap Trick I love the Beatles influence and they just write nice catchy pop tunes that rock, I like how the guys have stuck together (w/ a little break for Tom in there)

maybe Scorpions next? I haven't been into the newer stuff as much now but I really loved Lovedrive as my favorite (desert island stuff for me), I liked the aearlier stuff w/ Uli Jon Roth and the later cheesier stuff too.

edited to add:

I forgot Dream Theater! I haven't been into the newer stuff as much now but I really loved Images and Words and Awake, Falling into Infinity was my 1st one and then I got everything else past and present

Alcatraz (another post reminded me), I own all of them, or I should say I guess I still have them around! I like Gragham Bonnet. Plus the early stuff w/ Yngwie had some guys from New England (I have 2 of theirs two...was that NE's whole catalog?)

Alright, I get to be the out-lier on the bell curve.

Hawkwind - Obscure (in US) Heavy Space Rock band. Pour in pounding hard rock and swirling synths, with a dash of poetry, and set blender on puree. Was Lemmy's old band before he formed Motorhead. With constant lineup changes (Lemmy was their 3rd of 8 bassists), every release was a slightly different flavor.

Have all Vinyl available, and 95+% of CDs.

Why? I haven't a clue, other than I've always liked stuff that's a bit more out there.

60+ Zappa

40+ Dylan

40+ Clapton

40+ Van Morrison

30+ Stones

30+ Coltrane

20+ Allman Brothers

20+ Beatles

20+ Beach Boys

20+ Richard Thompson

20+ Fleetwood Mac

20+ Costello

20+ Pink Floyd

20+ Pearl Jam

Yeah, lotsa Dylan and Costello too.

But my Jazz Butcher collection is pretty impressive too.

For the XTC nuts, I just got an interesting album called Orpheus by Peter Blegvad and Andy Partridge.

Used to have a big collection of Kate Bush too. Recently sold off most of my Bill Nelson collection.

-Jonathan

RE Hawkwind: semi +1, although I don't have that many albums, I've got a live DVD or two and dubbed the audio over to CD. Best album ever from 'em was SPACE RITUAL, a live 1973 two-fer. Back then, if I had a date in my apartment that wasn't working out, all I had to do was put on the spoken word "Sonic Attack" from that album, and she'd be outta there so fast she'd leave a vapor trail....appropriate analogy, considering the band's approach...

Tommy Bolin (lots of posthumous releases... great artist that never saw his full potential)

Beatles ... Duh

Rush ... One of the best live shows musically

Steely Dan ... Just flat out brilliant

Jeff Beck .... Continuously growing musically

Edited to add .... I'm really more interested in collecting local and friends music.... a good chunk of my collection is stuff few have heard of.... Just seems more personal...

I have every Beatles record, many originals AND later reissues.

I have every Queen record.

I have most of the Allmans.

I have every Aerosmith record (except the 42 Greatest Hits that seem to come out every 5 months.)

Probably Miles Davis or the Dead. I have enough live Grateful Dead on my Ipod to shuffle without repeating for weeks if not months. BTW, the lastest New Year's '76 at the Cow Palace in S.F. out on Rhino is worth getting for any Deadheads. Good to great vocals and playing as well. Set list is a little atypical but that's good.

All of the Led Zeppelin catalog and then some...as in the form of bootlegs, Then tapes and cd's of Zep...why? because they are my favorite band.

Then , Judas Priest, The Black Crowes, Pearl Jam, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Metallica....

Definitely Zappa. Not counting boots, it's around 140. Counting boots, I don't want to think about.

A ton of Kiss stuff, too. I think there have been three non-comp official releases that I never got - "Hot In The Shade", "Psycho Circus", and stretching the non-comp a bit, "You Wanted The Best". I've gotten rid of some, too - "Crazy Nights" was such a dog, I couldn't stand it any more.

Ooh, and big Elton John and Who sections in my collection as well. And Nugent.

Alan

I mailnly have CDs at this point and the top shelf space eaters in my collection are:

The Beatles - The ultimate collection of perfect pop tunes

The Rolling Stones - The dark side of the ultimate collection of perfect pop tunes

Frank Zappa - Genius disguised as a disgruntled social critic

The rest of my collection (5000 plus CDs) is ALL over the map. I just love music.

I own all the albums from the following artists:

The Beatles: I grew up with them. To me they represent popular music at its peak. I just LOVE The Beatles.

Queen: Pure genius! Musical, pompous, lyrical, harmonically rich, great songs, great vocals, great guitars, great everything!

Rainbow: Always liked them more than Deep Purple. In addition, all the singers they have had are amazing.

Alcatrazz: Be with Yngwie or Vai, or even without them, I like all what they did. Graham Bonnet is also a great singer. Acatrazz has just some few albums, so this collection was easy to complete -- I even own some bootlegs from them.

Steve Vai: I've said this a zillion times: Zappa + Hendrix + Van Halen + Satch on a blender = Vai. Nice bundle pack then! :lol:

King Diamond: Horror stories over the ultimate metal background. All the records tend to sound the same, I know, but I love the concept.

Annihilator: Varied and tight and technical as hell, still thrash metal at its best. The four first albums are a must, but then I just had to have them all.

Megadeth: I listen to Marty Friedman a lot. I actually got into Megadeth because I was already into Friedman. Then I got all the albums, including all those without Friedman.

Fates Warning: Underrated progressive metal pioneers. Always liked them and always will.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I own almost all the albums from the following artists:

Scorpions: Great melodic hard rock. I love their rockers, I love their ballads. Call me kistchy! :unsure:

Whitesnake: They went from great blues rock to great hair metal. Coverdale sings like no other, and he has always hired great guitar players. Ear candy to me!

Blind Guardian: One of the few power metal bands I dig.

Marty Friedman: One of my preferred guitar players.

John Sykes: One of my preferred guitar players! B)

Rush: Man, I am speechless!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Gosh! Thinking about it now: I own so many albums from so many bands! I guess some day I'll have to cut the fat out from those boxes...

Archived