Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Boogies... thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backstory: 25yrs of either modded JCM800s or Boogie Mark Series (MkIIc, MkIIIc, recently a first-run Stiletto Duece)...

Prefer what I've known: Simulclass Boogs w/6L6-EL34 combo. Versatile amps, great lead sound but VERY, ah, "hifi", so to speak. Never used the graphic much, and hate the smiley-face EQ curve that is so popular. Why kill the mids? I like a graphic curve that boosts the mids and brings the bass out of mushville...

IMO, many people value the MKIII sound because of Metallica. However, their engineer says James' sound has more to do with the way the room is built and the tuning thereof than the actual amp. Once the raw amp sound hits the board/signal processing, it's all over.

Pros: Very reliable, over-built and loud. I did have a MkIIc which needed a few transformers to settle down, but sold the damn thing due to it's weight.

Cons: Sometimes hard to get a primitive, fukked up sound. They tend to reveal themselves after a lot of knob twiddling. Once you find your sound, though, look out.

To be fair, I've had no experience with Nomads, DCs, Lone Stars, Subways or any of their recent offerings except for the Stiletto, which I really liked. Great rock head and easy to get sounds from. If you're looking for a Boogie, my advice would be to decide what you want to do with it. A Roadking/ster would be great for a cover band gig (Nomads, DCs, too). Stilettos/Rectos perfect for metal, etc.

I'm a big fan of our NoCal local boys from Petaluma, but am quite satisfied w/my VAC22 combo. That, combined with a small pedalboard, currently covers all the bases.

Boogies are all I have at the moment: a Maverick head, two Subway Blues combos, and an early Mk I head that has been around for twenty-five years. My buddy had a Mk II that may have been the best amp I have ever heard.

Caveat: I am not really a rock player and rarely use high gain or channel-switching. I generally run them pretty clean - almost Fenderish - and use pedals if I need 'em.

mike

I recently sold my MKIII but still have my MKIV. I love the Mark series. Amazing tones in those amps. I had a Dual Recto for a while prior to the Marks. Another killer amp with a ton of tones available but I much prefer the Marks. Subway Rockets are killer little tone machines to boot. I would like to get a Roadking/Ster or a Tremoverb one of these days.

Lonestar slinger here. The two channels with all the little switches do it all for me.

Killer cleans and great reverb. Channel 2 goes from slight breakup to heavy D. The solo

boost function is fantastic too.

Also, on the bass side, I have a Buster 200 head, and a Mpulse Venture 600. I couldn't

be happier with the tones, build quality, and reliability. You can trust your tone to Mesa.

Green stripe Mark III combo w/EV atop a 1x12 Thiele w/Celestion for me. I've used MKIIIs on and off for many moons and I know how to dial 'em just right for my tastes. I run a quartet of 6L6s instead of the EL34/6L6 pairs, to help with dialing in killer cleans. The lead channel still thumps and howls regardless.

I had a Mark III back in the 90s that took a five-foot fall in the gear trailer straight on its face. Chipped the head of one knob. Worked perfectly, even the tubes survived. The only downside of my MKIII combo is that it weighs more than I do haha.

I've had several Recto series amps (my favorite is the Tremoverb) but I always end up turning them and going back to the Marks. To my ear, the Rectos are harsh compared to the Marks - they are more musical to my ear if that makes sense.

Lonestar Special and Blue Angel here....love both...

the Blue Angel is pretty simple and straightforward with great tone...

the Lonestar is more featured while not being at all complicated and also chimes in with great tone....very versatile...

i've also had a couple of V-Twin pedals and a 20-20 preamp...

all of these and everything i've seen from Mesa has an impeccable build quality.....when you really look at them and compare with most of the competition, you realize they're really not pricey for what you're getting...

Stiletto Duece II for me. I've had - a two-channel Dual Rectifier, Mk IV, Triaxis, Roadster, several half-back 4x12s and a couple of Thieles. All are/were great in one way or another, but as a former "Marshall guy" none get the ol' juices flowin' like the new Stiletto does.

Ditto with Steve on the Studio 22+. I've had mine for almost 20 years, and for the price, you absolutely cannot duplicate that amp.

Loud little fooker too!!

I'm a Boogie man too.

MkIV

MKIVstack.jpg

My DC-3 combo and my Mesa bass cabs.

RicBongo.jpg

Here's a Nomad 45 combo (no longer have) on top of my Marshall cab

Nomad.jpg

Lonestar Special Head (no longer have), w/ my Nash Tele

nash_0971.jpg

My Mark IV is the ultimate amp IMHO. :)

I've owned a few.

First was a Mark III when they first came out. I actually ordered a Mark II but they stopped making them and sent me the "improved" III. I don't think I ever got a good sound from the gain channel and the clean channel was somewhat sterile. It was simulclass with eq and reverb. Pretty loaded. Serious tubes. The rhythm channel volume didn't match the others, so I had a mod done to add a volume control for it. I tried mixing 6L6s and EL34s and it didn't help. Finally sold it after many years of trying.

Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 combo. I thought this amp was much better than the Mark III. Still had that Mesa tone, but was much easier to dial in and overall just sounded much better to my ears. It weighed over 100 lbs and I sold it for that reason.

Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb. Cool little amp, but very boxy sounding. Better if plugged into an external cabinet. Still, funky sounding. The contour thing was interesting....

Mesa Blue Angel 4x10. Just sold this 5 months ago. Great amp. Very un-boogie. Made sense once I read up on the mid control.

Mesa Blue Angel 4x10. Just sold this 5 months ago. Great amp. Very un-boogie. Made sense once I read up on the mid control.

i'd be interested to hear what you learned about the mid control...

i'd be interested to hear what you learned about the mid control...

Not DavidE, but the Subway Blues and Mav clean channel have the same deal: as you increase the mid to about 10-11:00, the control acts like a traditional mid tone knob. as you turn up the mids even more it acts like an additional gain stage. works great, esp. for non-masters like the SB and BA.

mike

I haven't owned many (3) and I had problems with every one of them, I still think that was a fluke however. I've had them apart and they appear to be well built. I've never run across one that I've cared to keep or buy they always sound flat or boxy to me. I did use a Recto in the studio that tracked quite well however.

Love my loaded 2C+ simul combo...... couldn't ask for better cleans or better leads.

my_amp_front_detail.jpg

I should add that boogies are all about quality. In this way they are a good fit for the Hamer owner. USA made and engineered is also a big plus. Wonderful works of art and design.

+1 with Steve and CMathes. I have a 84 Boogie Studio 22 in wooden cab. Not only does it have the high gain Boogie sound, but also a fantastic clean channel.

One of the best jazzers in the world, Wolfgang Muthspiel, obviously was of the same opinion. After he played my Boogie at a gig he wanted to buy it, but: this amp will always stay with me.

Boogie.jpg

Archived