Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Boogies... thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using a MK IV as my main amp since 91.

It always delivers and I think it sounds great. I can always dial in what I need.

boogie.jpg

I was just wondering how many HFCers are Boogie owners? What's the general concensus, on Boogies here?

I am a long time Marshall guy who switched to a Dual Rectifier and Rectifier cabinet about 6 months ago. I love the tone and sustain I can pull from the Boogie. It still likes to be cranked loud to get the best sound but not nearly as much as my JCM900 needed. One thing that scares a lot of guys including me at first is the amount of knobs. Three channels and each channel has it's own tones controls. That's all there is to it. When you buy a Boogie you need to read the manual- each knob is interactive with the others. There are suggested setups in the manual for different sounds. I don't see that I'll ever need another amp- ever!

For what it is worth, I saw Charlie Daniels in 1982 and 2007 using Boogie combos on stage. When you think of Mesa Boogie Charlie Daniels is not the first guy you think of, but he is loyal to those amps. How's that for versatility?

I've always liked the Recto distortion sound because my favorite bands have used it (Incubus, Punch People etc.) but the clean channel is just as important to me as the gain and the cleans on the Rectos are so sterile sounding to me. I like the crunch mode on the clean channel of the Deuce. It gives me that nice, transparent and slightly dirty clean sound that I like. Not to mention that if I do want to get that Recto type clean, I do have a fat clean mode on the Deuce.

I shied away from Mesa/Boogie for some reason until recently when I picked up a used Blue Angel. I think it's an excellent amp, more "old school" than many Mesa amps, but with a couple very usable "modern" features. It's sort of Mesas take on a Super Reverb.

I picked a Mesa Single Retum-Fryer up a few weeks ago. Still in the honeymoon

stage with it. Channel 1 has a decent sounding clean sound. Flick the switch

and you have a nice medium overdrive sound. Kick into channel 2 and

wallow in 3 delicious gain levels.

I'm running it into my 4 X 10 Marshall cab. Not bad, but I'll probably score

a Mesa cab in the not to distant future. (Shhhhhhhh .... don't tell my wife)

I'm still diggin' it!

"Mesa Blue Angel 4x10. Just sold this 5 months ago. Great amp. Very un-boogie. Made sense once I read up on the mid control"

The Mid control on the Blue Angel acts like a standard mid control (increases mids as you turn it clockwise)until about 11 or 12 o'clock on the dial. After that point, it acts as a type of gain knob. I don't go for a super high gain sound, and my mid setting on this amp (4 X 10 combo) is never past 9 or 10 o'clock. Cool amp.

I like the way they sound when others are playing thru them, less when I am. The Lonestar I had would be the exception. It sounded great for what it's able to do but, I was looking for something that covered a little more ground without pedals. They seem like quality amps, just wouldn’t be my first choice for the tones I’m looking for. Like any amp, it just depends on what you are trying to get out of it.

I will say that Andy Timmons tone on his last release is one of the best I’ve heard and supposedly it’s all Mesa.

I have played boogies on and off since the late 70s.

still havent found one that beats my marshalls...

recently tried the discontinued F-100 halfstack in orange.

liked the cleans but found them to not be bright and edgey enough .

the extra gain though very cool, was totally impossible to control and it squeeled

at higher volumes....

I'll stick to my master marshalls and jubs.

spend for mods not inefficiency.

there is no one amp that gets good fender clean and great marshall gain...

buy both and save the hit on a boogie...

Got an F100 combo (2X12), bought it new in 2004, in Celtic green! Gigged and recorded with it, love the range of tones, won't part with it........ :)

I've had 3 Boogies and had problems with 2... I have to admit my Boogies weren't the high end stuff: I had a Studio 22, DC-3 and DC-5. the amps I had trouble with are the Studio 22 and DC-3. Both amps had trouble in the poweramp section. Do not know if it has anything to do with the fact that both amps use EL84 poweramp tubes. The DC-5 had 6L6 and everything was fine.

Anyway, sold them all (after havin' repaired the faulty amps of course...). and probably will not use them ever again, mostly due to the fact that the company never replied to my mails. But then again, I live in Europe and I think they take more care of their US customers... Thank God the Hamer company is totally different!

My first Mesa was a .22 Caliber in blonde tolex. Great sounding amp for what it was. I traded it to a friend for a mint '69 Super Reverb a bunch of years ago, because he wanted something easier to lug around. I definitely got the better end of that deal.

Then I had a DC-5 wide-body combo. Loved it. In a fit of irrationality, I sold it to get a Nomad 55. Biggest mistake I ever made. The Nomad 55 was nothing but trouble - in and out of the shop (and back to Mesa twice) in the year I had it. Plus, it never sounded as good as the DC-5, to my ears. I wish I had that DC-5 back!

Currently, I own a MKIV and a Lonestar Special. Both great amps. I like the MKIV for it's veratility (plus it's the loudest 1-12" combo I've ever heard!). You just have to have a lot of patience to dial in the sounds you want, mostly because several of the controls affect multiple channels. The Lonestar Special is in a league of its own. The cleans are very transparent and "Fendery", and the gains don't have that usual Mesa "honk". The ability to dial each channel in at 5, 15 or 30 watts makes it super flexible. And the 30-watt setting is plenty loud enough for stage volume for the stuff I play.

Hearing Poe, Phoenix and others rave about the Road King has got me jonesin' to try one out. A Road King head with the Mesa 2-12" cabinet could end up replacing the MKIV, the Super Reverb, and a couple of other amps I rarely play. The problem is, there's nowhere close to me that stocks the RKII to try out, and that's a lot of cash to lay out without playing it first...

Got my first Boogie in 1983 - a Mk II b. After that a couple of Studio 22s, Calibers, a Studio Preamp - all gone. Now with me for 13 years: Maverick 1x12, Satelite 60 and V-Twin.

Always appreciated their top notch parts and workmanship combined with innovation. And I always got the sounds I was after, although I bought the Mav under the impression that it's kind of a dual channel AC 30, which it is definitely not! But is does sound great, British and not typically Boogie. Ah, and it's got that mid range control just like the Blue Angel.

I do like the company's philosophy, even though sometimes they appear a bit arrogant to me as though they are the only guys in the world who know how to tweak around with vacuum tubes. But hey - that's just marketing hype, I guess :)

I like Boogies, I've had ten of them from MKIII's (3 of them), Dual rectifier, tri-recto, 2 Studio Peamps, DC-10, MKIV, and finally a 1989 .50 Cal+ that I've had since 1991.

I've been using an F30 for years now. I'm using a triaxis with 2 theile 1x12's for bigger shows. I'm using mark series sounds on the triaxis. I tried some marshall stuff and learned I just love the boogie balls and chunk much better.

I've also had a friend who's owned a trem-o-verb, maverick, lonestar special and regular lonestar and they've all been great sounding.

Big Boogie fan here for sure. I have owned a bunch of their different models over the years and traded 2 for 2 different Hamers on this very site (thanks Doody and TomTerrific), but always end up with a Mark series. I just sold my latest MKIII a couple days ago, but only because I found my best tone ever in a MKIIC+. I really dig the fact that you can hear the difference when switching guitars, pickups, or just varying your picking dynamics. My previous fave was a Marshall 2554 Jubilee, but the MKIIC+ has is beat for versatility and quality of tone - by far. The older Marks series amps are virtually indestructable, and you can call Mesa and talk to the tech that sent it out of the factory 25 years ago - Mike Bendinelli. I think the MKIII is very underrated and have to say if you don't know how the Mesa controls interact you can get some pretty ugly sounds coming out of them. With patience and consultation of the manual, you can get a huge variety of killer tones from a MKIII. Notes absolutely EXPLODE out of these amps, and will always cut through the densest band mix. There is a fantastic clarity that comes with the grind, although those who rely on compressed, saturated gain to cover sloppy playing will likely be exposed for the wankers they are :) . My only gripe is the fact that they are so damn heavy, especially the combo's with the EV speaks. After owning a Maverick 4x10, a Nomad 4x10 and Nomad 2x12, a DC-3, a Subway Rocket and Subway Blues, a Simul-Satellite, a Studio -Pre, a Formula Pre, a V-Twin, and 3 different MKIII's it comes to this:

SBGBOOG02.jpg

That is my Yamaha SBG3000 and my MKIIC+ sitting on my Marshall 1965a 4x10 cab. Love those 10's!

Archived