Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Old 80’s Vectors headstocks...

I wonder why they won't accept using the old headstock shape on my custom Vector. I was committed to place a custom order with Dave, but they won't use the old shape, period, "and we hope you'll understand"... Understand what? Sorry, but of course I don't! It shouldn't be a big deal for them building a guitar with the neck and the headstock of a Special and the body of a Vector. Why missing an order of several thousand bucks just because that headstock shape is out of question? I don't really see their point -- and I am after all the customer, so I must be right! :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am talking about the "ugly", non-pointy headstock they used in early 80’s Vectors. I used to hate that shape, but I recently got a Hamer Vector '84 and I have a theory about its sound (which I love!) and the shape of the headstock. And well, even if my theory is stupid, I like now that shape just because now those guitar looks more "muscled" and "mature" to my eyes -- call it a customer's caprice or whatever!

So, I just wrote to Hamer Customer service about this. I'm glad there are other people on this boat, because if there's enough interest on that headstock shape then maybe they would bring it back -- it shouldn't be a problem to "implement", as that headstock shape is everywhere in their other models. Let's see what they have to say about it...

By the way, is anyone here close enough to Hamer to ask them about this issue? I would like getting an intelligent/logical answer from them...

While you're at it, why don't you ask them to put a Standard headstock on a Studio?

And start making shredders...

Part of the reason I haven't sought out a Talladega is that 3x3 headstock. I'd personally prefer a righty "SS" headstock 'cause it would look more tele/strat-like and match the tele-esque body better.

But I'm confident that idea would never pass for a custom-order. Too 80s-shreddy for 'em.

I'd be inclined to get a matching-paint maple veneer on the SS head to make it more traditional looking, but I'm sure that would get flunked too.

I am talking about the "ugly", non-pointy headstock they used in early 80’s Vectors. I'm glad there are other people on this boat, because if there's enough interest on that headstock shape then maybe they would bring it back.

I haven't heard anyone else promoting that headstock as desirable on a Vector. Or any other non-traditional LP Special derived body shape. Except for one very adamant ebay seller who was trying to promote it as "adding value" to a Blitz.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think the line is going to be pretty short to board that bandwagon.

Good luck, though, today's "no" often turns into tomorrow's "yes" with Hamer.

Business is good..I suppose.

While you are at it, please ask them to do a limited-run neck thru Cali :)

They NEVER made one of those!

Well, I guess then I better buy a sustain-block from Hamer and just turn to Ran Guitars to build me an 80's Vector-looking guitar. :)

In any case, my quest for an 80's Vector is making me to realize that my main guitars shouldn't come from a company that wouldn't listen to my needs as a customer. I am one hair away to drop the Hamer brand forever -- if no one sells me an 80's Vector soon I won't obstinate much more, really. At the very end I just want a quality instrument built to my tastes. So, if Hamer can't build it, you bet someone else will.

-- I am starting to understand why some artists have moved away from Hamer.

Well, I guess then I better buy a sustain-block from Hamer and just turn to Ran Guitars to build me an 80's Vector-looking guitar. :)

In any case, my quest for an 80's Vector is making me to realize that my main guitars shouldn't come from a company that wouldn't listen to my needs as a customer. I am one hair away to drop the Hamer brand forever -- if no one sells me an 80's Vector soon I won't obstinate much more, really. At the very end I just want a quality instrument built to my tastes. So, if Hamer can't build it, you bet someone else will.

-- I am starting to understand why some artists have moved away from Hamer.

First thing you learn in business is you can't please everybody.

Buy a recent Vector and break off the tip.

I'll even help you.

Great idea! :)

Interesting. I didn't think Hamer would say no. Vector 3+3 headstock doesn't look out of place to me unless you live and breathe metal. Even then....

For a bunch of folks here that consider 3+3 to be a dealbreaker, repeat after me: "More Mick Ralphs, less Mick Mars" :) What would Wyldbil do?

S.

p.s>that veneer Blitz that BCR had was sweet. Somebody got a pix of that?

It's not the 3x3 what they won't do. It's just the non-pointy headstock like in this picture :

vector.JPG

I'm with you on this one Zorrow. I, too, prefer the "ugly" headstock on a Vector rather than the pointy one.

You should pester JohnnyThunders to sell you his white Vector with sustain block that use to belong to GusS. In case you don't know, GusS lives 20 minutes away from us :)

Hamer is too busy on building orders to even consider doing something as trivial as putting a 3+3 neck on a Vector body. Too bad, they use to be the company that would do the super-cool custom stuff.

If Vernon Reid can't get the guitars he wants, the chances that you will are, unfortunately, even lower.

Go with Ran Guitars. Looks like they build some cool stuff.

It's not the 3x3 what they won't do. It's just the non-pointy headstock like in this picture :

vector.JPG

You do realize they won't do that headstock period, don't you? It's not the same as the current 3+3 headstock. That would be like asking for narrower, long-necked headstock on a '77 Sunburst. It ain't gonna happen.

But I'm sure your public hissy fit about taking your business elsewhere will make Jol and co. scramble to accommodate you. Kind of like when someone's item doesn't sell on the FS forum and he "threatens" to put it on eBay. "Oh shit, I can't let that happen. Where's my credit card?"

Archived