Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Old 80’s Vectors headstocks...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of other options out there though that won't cost an arm and a leg - some just legs and some arms!

Jackson and Hill will give you anything you want and both make top notch guitars.

Jackson Custom Shop

Hill Guitars

USMasters

to name a few of the good ones. I would start looking at other companies options - plenty out there to choose from.

They have over 200 custom orders to fill and are booked into next year. Just what I hoped for them.

Plus some dealers are trying to buy entire year's worth of production of certain models at a time. This all keeps Hamer USA busy even though they recently expanded the workforce by 10%.winking-smiley-41.gif

There are plenty of other options out there though that won't cost an arm and a leg - some just legs and some arms!

Jackson and Hill will give you anything you want and both make top notch guitars.

Don't know about Hill and US Masters, but when's the last time you tried to order a custom guitar from Jackson?! I've been hanging out at the JCF board a bit recently and I wouldn't place a custom order with them if my life depended on it. Also, since they were acquired by Fender, good luck on getting anything Gibson-esque out them.

-Austin

Don't know about Hill and US Masters, but when's the last time you tried to order a custom guitar from Jackson?! I've been hanging out at the JCF board a bit recently and I wouldn't place a custom order with them if my life depended on it. Also, since they were acquired by Fender, good luck on getting anything Gibson-esque out them.

-Austin

Funny you should ask! Last year I got a custom from Jackson and it is absolutely awesome. It was a one of a kind guitar. Incidentally they also made a one of a kind for Rusty Cooley and for other people.

Every manufacturer has their problems and issues and Jackson is no different. On the board you hear about gripes and that is with every manufacturer. Check the Parker, Gibson, Fender boards sometime!

I recently received a custom from Robin and no tools came with it. Brand new custom guitar and no tools.

If you dont like Jackson then try Hill. Hill is your best priced option of the two. Hill currently has a V on ebay and they have a website and reviews on HarmonyCentral.

But there are lots of quality small custom shops out there.

I research the hell out of guitars - go to all the websites including French and British builders. I am a member of the Parker, Ibanez, Hamer, Jackson, Fender, Shred Guitar, Dinosaur Rock Guitar, Suhr, Harmony Central, HugeRacks Inc, Jam Session and Gear Page forums and a few more.

It might take you a while and a lot of research but to find the guitar you want it is well worth it. Go to the forums just like this one and start asking. You will find more options than you know what to do with.

It also depends upon how much money you want to spend but what you want is out there. You just have to find it. Personally I dont give a crap what name is on my headstock as long as its a quality product.

I haven't heard anyone else promoting that headstock as desirable on a Vector. ... You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think the line is going to be pretty short to board that bandwagon.

I agree. As much as I like the sustain block Vector, to me the 3+3 snakehead headstock screamed "cheap" because it looks like economy of scale won out over integrated style.

I recently received a custom from Robin and no tools came with it. Brand new custom guitar and no tools.

I don't get it? What kind of tool did you expect? I have never bought a guitar that came w/ a tool.

I don't get it? What kind of tool did you expect? I have never bought a guitar that came w/ a tool.

What do I expect ??? How about a truss rod wrench. How about an allen wrench for the floating trem.

And another allen wrench for the locking nut.

I couldn't change the strings for a month until they all arrived.

Every guitar I've ever purchased has ended up in the possession of a tool. Is that the same thing?

But yeah, I was pissed off when an Indonesian Squier bass I bought didn't come with a truss rod wrench. Gotta be far more maddening when the cash layout is about 10 times more and the same thing happens.

Since we're already off topic, why do they use Klusons on new Vectors?

I sense a Korina Vector in my near-future.

What do I expect ??? How about a truss rod wrench. How about an allen wrench for the floating trem.

And another allen wrench for the locking nut.

I couldn't change the strings for a month until they all arrived.

After all that "research" you didnt know locking trems used 3mm wrenches?

So you buy an expensive vehicle and there's no fucking lug wrench for the spare .... are you OK with that, even if you know what size you need?

It's the principle of the thing.

even if they would build a vector with the shitty headstock, it seems like a total waste of money to get something you will be able to find for 1/3 the price during the 3-4 months you're gonna wait for the custom order.

You're very right -- and the wait will be even more: 10 - 12 months, I guess?

I have tried for years to get a new Chap Custom made and finally gave up. I love my custom Jackson Soloist, but I am also done with Jackson as they have cut way back on the options you can get and designs and too boot they raised their prices over 30%-fuck them!! Believe me, I would have bought a new custom Chap or Jackson in a minute this year, but no way now. I agree, try US Masters or what I will go with in the next couple years, Hill Guitars out of Cleveland,OH. I can also drive their and design it from beginning to end with John Hill!! Hamer and Jackson can keep their new guitars. I will buy them used and work with a small custom builder on customs. Good luck bro-Jack.

hell I didn't know. I have bought new guitars and never received any tools. So what do I know I guess.

No harm intended.

~CS

Go to allparts.com because it might be too late to get some from the manufacturer.

I have tried for years to get a new Chap Custom made and finally gave up. I love my custom Jackson Soloist, but I am also done with Jackson as they have cut way back on the options you can get and designs and too boot they raised their prices over 30%-fuck them!! Believe me, I would have bought a new custom Chap or Jackson in a minute this year, but no way now. I agree, try US Masters or what I will go with in the next couple years, Hill Guitars out of Cleveland,OH. I can also drive their and design it from beginning to end with John Hill!! Hamer and Jackson can keep their new guitars. I will buy them used and work with a small custom builder on customs. Good luck bro-Jack.

I hear ya bro.

FYI, I just got the following reply from Hamer:

(...)

Sorry but it is not a model that we currently offer. If you would like Jol Dantzig to call you personally and explain the reasons to you please email me back with your phone number.

(...)

I'll think about it, but I'm not sure I want Jol Dantzig to call me. It looks anyway I couldn't share with you guys what he would have to say. In any case, I'll probably give up on the headstock shape -- even if I like them, old headstocks are still "ugly" after all. :) Well, seriously, pointy headstocks look killer too. Maybe I should think about a korina babe? I played once an Epiphone Korina V and the tone was really great! And also (and weirdly enough) the Korina Vector's pickguard doesn't look awkward to me -- in contrast to the pickguard on Johnny's white Vector. Should I then go back to my cavern and let my korina GAS to develop into something bigger and unstoppable? :P

-- BTW, Montreallers, any Korina Vector around for me to try?

I'll think about it, but I'm not sure I want Jol Dantzig to call me. It looks anyway I couldn't share with you guys what he would have to say.

I disagree. The guy is willing to place the call to you, you should listen to what he has to say.

It's not every day he calls customers to explain his decisions.

And who says you can't share what is said in the conversation?

Ionel - I'd definitely listen to what he has to say. Even if it isn't what you want to hear, the fact that he is willing to call a Hamer player to give a personal explanation speaks volumes to me. I'm sure you'd come away from that conversation feeling better about things in general, and it is probably a very rational explanation that all the message board hypotheses haven't touched on.

Remember, nobody can TRULY speak for Hamer outside of the factory, and Jol's about as good as it gets!

Sounds like a bit of sarcasm here. They don't all use 3mm wrenches. Nothing I had fit.

Fact is its a Kahler Steeler floating trem from the 90's. The wrench sizes are different and you need a separate wrench for the bridge and a different size wrench for the nut.

Awesome! Thanks one zillion times! I'll just emailed the guy. Let's see if something comes out from this.

No problem. I just did a quick search on Google and it was on the first page :)

Archived