Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Old 80’s Vectors headstocks...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3316_1lg.jpg

www.stewmac.com

High quality, great value lifesavers. Under $16.00 for both sets. One end is “regular”, the other has the ball feature for angled access. (Go ahead, MC, I set you up).

0942_1lg.jpg

$13.00.

I own a professional quality lug wrench too. I hate cheap tools.

HEY! Jol Dantzig just called me. He was very cool and we talked for around 15 minutes. As you already predicted, I feel much better now after talking to him. Here are the reasons why they won't do that model anymore -- I am using my own words, but the essential information is here:

As an artist (or a designer) Jol always felt that 80's Vector design was just "odd" or "wrong". It was actually a marketing decision. The marketing guy asked for Flying V's, and at the beginning they didn't have the budget to put the "normal" Flying V headstocks in the production line, so they decided “to place this neck on a V-shaped body", and the odd Vector came to life. Jol never was proud of that decision.

In addition, those early Vectors didn't even break any ground -- always according to his words. He says the Vector KK was a nice little variation to the classic Flying V. He says the classic headstock has a shape paralleling the body lines, so it's very coherent from a design point of view. He thinks that even other brands such as Jackson and ESP did add something new to the V-shaped design by pushing the borders even more, but to him the early Vector is just an ugly and visually unbalanced guitar. There's nothing interesting in there from a design point of view, so to him building one at this point would be like making again the same mistake he made in the past.

There’s also one marketing-related reason: he says there are "many" old Vectors out there you can find for a fraction of the price you would pay for a new one. So, they won't bring the old design back also because there's no point in building an expensive guitar you can "easily find for around 500 bucks" -- or for under 1000 bucks.

All that said, it was a pleasure talking with the guy himself. At the end we asked each other not to take our thoughts personally -- he doesn't want to build an "odd Vector" anymore; while I was pissed off at the company for "not listening to its customers". :P I guess now I should swallow my own words and apologize, as it looks like Jol Dantzig does listen to his customers, doesn't he? :)

-- edited to spell correctly Jol's surname.

Find another company who's Jol would call you! That's very cool as well as informative.

See what happens when product development decisions are initiated by the marketing guy?

As the voice of the marketers here at Playboy (meaning, I have to write the annoying bullshit they come up with and send out to get people to buy something) I can tell you that 99% are clueless dweebs. It still astonishes me that you can get a degree in marketing. Maybe a notch more sophisticated and challenging than basketweaving. Then again, they're making all the money and I'm the lowly creative guy, so who's the dummy?

Find another company who's Jol would call you! That's very cool as well as informative.

John Hill of Hill Guitars talked to me for about an hour about a custom guitar ans said I could call anytime and talk to him about it and come up and see about it with him and he will draw it up by hand all the way to production. Talk about cool!! That been said, it was very cool of Jol to all to call. Jack.

Dave at Robin Guitars! He called me when they forgot to send the tools with my guitar!

I was blown away.

John Hill of Hill Guitars talked to me for about an hour about a custom guitar ans said I could call anytime and talk to him about it and come up and see about it with him and he will draw it up by hand all the way to production. Talk about cool!! That been said, it was very cool of Jol to all to call. Jack.

Well, uh, find someone else at a company named Jol that will call you. So there!

OK, Dave at Robin, I'll give ya-Hill is a much smaller shop than Hamer. Try getting someone in a shop as well-established or the size of Hamer!!

Awesome! Thanks one zillion times! I'll just emailed the guy. Let's see if something comes out from this.

If you really want it. I would call him.

looks like he listed his phone #:

" Sam (760)277-5292 "

AND ?????

After all that "research" you didnt know locking trems used 3mm wrenches?

Sounds like a bit of sarcasm here. They don't all use 3mm wrenches. Nothing I had fit.

Fact is its a Kahler Steeler floating trem from the 90's. The wrench sizes are different and you need a separate wrench for the bridge and a different size wrench for the nut.

Sarcasm indeed...the Kahler also uses 3mm on the bridge.

Archived