Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Lesser know band that you love

Dictators fans. My Brother In-Law is their drummer. Let me know if they ever play in your town and I can probably hook you up with tickets or something.

How did Guy from Riot die? I'm sure you all have the Riot video with Guy from My Fathers Place in NY, right?

Dave -- Pancreatic cancer if I recall correctly.. He was a young, late 40's...

Umm...A little band outta Canada called "Headpins"...kick ass rock with a she vocalist named Darby Mills that just rips!! The band was founded by one hit wonders.."Chilliwack"

This is right down Pam's alley.

How do you figure?? (No neatly groomed beard/feathered-back hair guys were maligned in the making of this thread)

"Cocteau Twins" - Man, I haven't thought of them in 10 years.. but I used to listen to them A LOT in my 20s - I have a LOT of stories of shenanigans with Cocteau Twins as the soundtrack.... let's just say that the Cocteau Twins were my Barry White, baby! LMAO

And you KNOW I'm all over the Shazam... Serial, we need to start a record club! :lol:

And why is it that Mudshark's choices are all sounding really good to me....

Yeah.. Jaco.. I'm on it like Blue Bonnet... LMAO!!!!

Anything Nuno Bettencourt has done since leaving Extreme :lol:

His first solo album Schizophonic was brilliant, great song writing and killer guitar.

Then he started a band called the Mourning Widows and those albums absolutely ROCKED! Again, awesome guitat and songwriting. Some of my favorite music ever.

He then did another solo album called Population One, he got really experimental voicewise on this one so it's a mixed bag but full of gems.

His new band Population One AKA Near Death Experience, release an EP called Sessions from Room 4 last year that if is any indication. this band will be taking over the world when thier full album is released this summer.

Guest big steve

ever heard the stuff nuno did/produced on dweezil zappa's "confessions "album?

it was before extreme hit it big.he does the vocals on a song called "the kiss",his singing is outstanding(much better than cherone).

ever heard the stuff nuno did/produced on dweezil zappa's "confessions "album?

it was before extreme hit it big.he does the vocals on a song called "the kiss",his singing is outstanding(much better than cherone).

That Dweezil Zappa CD was my favorite for years. Lots of great songs and playing on that. Lee

The Probers

10 Star General

MotherLoveBone

Spiritual Beggars

The Quill

Fu Manchu

Raging Slab

Wilco

Uncle Tupelo

Arch Enemy

Nashville Pussy..............You want me to keep going?

Demented, Raging Slab was pretty good and do you

mean 10 Star General from Boston?

I know those guys, part of that band is from Left Nut

who are one of my favorite Boston bands ever. They

were awesome and feared no one. the guitarist Barry

is incredible. If you liked 10 star you'd love Left Nut...

BTW: DaveH and Saxon, I totally agree on Riot, why

they never hit it with Fire Down Under is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Rhett Forrester (RIP) but

not sure why they canned Guy Speranza which in retrospect

seemed like a big mistake...

Yes 10 Star General from Boston! My mom married one of the guitar players dads..so we went to see them in Boston..I was blown away. This was about 8-10 years ago? I can remember his last name was Gardner..jeez, they weren't married for too long. I have their tape they made me here somewhere. Wasn't Barry kind of a gearhead? played Gretchs like Brian Setzer? Seem to remember my "step-bro" being in Left Nut too. Totally lost contact with those guys...I always enjoy some Slab every now and then.

• 3 years later...

Nina Gordon

Expanding Man

Odds

The Yayhoos

Mother May I

Loveless

Finally! Expanding Man on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfsj4D-PFnI

Nina Gordon

Expanding Man

Odds

The Yayhoos

Mother May I

Loveless

Finally! Expanding Man on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfsj4D-PFnI

And Mother May I!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5c5eb-Xng0

Cool finds ElD.

If you can ever find a copy of "The Wolves", you'd probably dig it. Came out about 20 years on Top Records. It's guitar + drummer dude from "Mother May I". It's a raging slab of power pop bliss.

I've got it... on vinyl!

Edited to add, opened for them once or twice...

Wow - haven't seen that Mother May I video in almost 10 years! I've actually got it on an old VHS from 120 Minutes. I always liked those guys.

• 4 years later...

Fates Warning -sadly underrated, not widely known pioneers of the prog metal genre.

Crimson Glory -a slightly heavier, but also more glam-oriented Queensryche-like band. They did have a prog edge, but never went over the top. Loved them!

Rage -German power metal with a thrashy edge and with a special taste for blending orchestral parts with metal. Their most recent albums are to me open lessons of modern metal riffing. They remain virtually unknown in America though.

Annihilator -two albums: "Alice In Hell" and "Never, Neverland". 'Nuff said!

Watchtower -think about Rush on steroids. Another prog metal pioneers who got, sadly, quickly forgotten.

Force Of Evil -it's basically the Mercyful

Fate guys with a more classic metal-oriented singer. Vintage-flavored guitar leads, great tones, great songwriting and energetic and tasteful playing, but with a modern production. They released just two albums and one DVD. If this band had ben formed in the early 80's they would have been HUGE.

UFO -I know we all here know them, but just try around you and you'll see how criminally unknown they still remain.

Australia's finest export since AC/DC...

You Am I

I lived in Canada until I was 40, so all my faves are likely unknown to most of you.

Max Webster -a group, not a solo act

Kim Mitchell - solo act; the singer/guitarist from Max Webster

Blackie and The Rodeo Kings - roots rock at its finest

Saga - prog rock band that's still going (since 1978!). Check out Ian Chricton's guitar work.

Doug and The Slugs - Vancouver's contribution to party dance rock.

And from Los Angeles, Tonio K. - think of a darker version of Weird Al Yankovic. I have no idea why this guy didn't make a bigger splash.

What a great thread. And I think I have missed it..??!! :blink:

Hanoi Rocks - They should have been huge. The greatest glam band of the 80's.

A - Killer band with a stupid name. Try to google or Youtube search the letter "A". A mix of The Police and Bloodhound gang. Weird, yeah. But it works.

Rocket from the Crypt - I love the Hives, but this band was one of their inspirations, and they are even better. Should have been as big as The Hives.

Young Heart Attack - Killer debut album. Party on the rocks, all the way. AC/DC meets Pat Benattar, then they take party drugs.

Another band that should have been HUGE. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-blessing-mn0000050496/biography

The Blessing. Did two albums on Mercury. Prince of the Deep Waters and Locusts and wild honey.

This was their biggest hit:

William Topley the lead singer has done lots of solo albums since the band broke up that are in the same style. I got all of them. Just great music.

I insist on Fates Warning. :) New album about to be released, Frank Aresti returning... and nobody seems to care:

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/61638-fates-warnings-new-album-and-frank-aresti-is-in-hamer-content/

:)

Support American Bands! :D

Archived