Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Lesser know band that you love

Hey Rodip,

Thanks for the clips on The Reducers! Great band. I used to catch them at the El 'n Gee, and always loved that song. I still have it on vinyl, and never thought of looking for it on You tube. Fun stuff.

I used to hang out in the local guitar shops, too. We've probably met.

Not sure if any of these qualify:

Alannah Myles. She's known because of "Black Velvet", but she has some excellent guitar songs throughout her library.

ATF (After the Fire). Known for "Der Kommissar", or at least for the non-Falco version. Absolute definition of a one-hit wonder. But the rest of the album had some great songs, great lyrics, great guitar work. A little investigation into their past (the Power of the Internet!) a year or so ago turned up that they started as progressive rock band, and actually had at least one credible tune in that style (haven't been able to uncover any complete albums from that era of their existence), and then turned New Wave. Probably the only New Wave band I liked...later analysis helped me realize: it is because they have a prominent guitar role...for me, if it doesn't have guitar, I don't really like it.

Darrell Mansfield. Christian artist, but does some of the best blues harp, blues rock, and even hard rock out there. In my opinion, should have made it big.

Sweet Savage. Archetypal NWOBHM band from Ireland. Viv Campbell plays the most ripping, echo-laden solos in the grand tradition of Moore/Sykes.

Girlschool. Laugh if you will, but they were a solid live band. They were opening around around the world for Maiden, Motorhead and Saxon, quite a head start for their career. I thought they rocked and had potential.

Big Star. 'nuff said.

Crash Kelly. Pop/rock from L.A. Grinding guitars, hooks, great vocals.

The Scruffs. Came up in Memphis along with contemporaries Big Star. More punky/snotty, think UK pub rock.

Spinning Jennies/Well Wishers. Check 'em out. The SF bay area has its own Ray Davies.

Riot. Yes.

Onslaught. Classic Brit/Euro METAL. Tight, H-E-A-V-Y. Still out there strokin' it...

Malice. Mid-80s L.A. Judas Priest acolytes. Derivative, but they were always great live, especially on bills with Armored Saint and bands of that ilk.

Well, I'm following Oli Brown for many years. He'd made 3 fabulous blues records so far. Ainsley Lister is a another favourite in the blues genre. The Tower Sessions album contains a great interpretation of Prince's Purple Rain.

Ali Neander from German Rodgau Monotones made a very nice jazz fusion record titled by his name.

Another love of mine is Tommy Merry. He's a great shredder who had performed with Steve Vai a.o. I had him discovered on the great mp3.com plattform in 2000. All three albums contain great tunes. Don't think he's performing any longer.

Rob Tognoni is an Aussie living in Germany three quarter of the year, extensively touring Europe, publishing new songs once a year. He's playing quite a raw blues rock package.

Then there is Daily Friday, my son's band. Their first record had been mastered by our very own Zenmindbeginner. 1k pressed and it's almost sold out. Fairly good for a bunch of 18s. 1st 2 international gigs coming in October. It's fun to see the band grow.

http://www.daily-friday.de

Just remembered.. This is a band I was helping out back in 1995. They were absolutely great. We worked so hard on this album, and it just didn't do well. They did a long tour to promote it, then broke up. Here is one of the singles:

I see this thread goes back a long time, but I'll add my 2 cents.

My secret wussy 90s music shame. :P

It was criminal that the "industry" couldn't find room for these guys and their label dropped the band after 2 albums. Great pop tunes backed up by some talented and self-contained players.

I guess it depends on if you're talking about the general public or guitarists...but anyway...

Riot,Loudness, King's X and Laurie Freelove.

Archived