Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How Did You Get Your First Hamer?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought a Standard and a Vector back in the 80’s because I couldn’t afford a Flying V and an Explorer…and I’m sure glad I couldn’t. Unfortunately, I sold ‘em both during a period of no money (and extreme stupidity). I didn’t have them long enough to really call them my first Hamers.

In the mid-90’s I worked with two other guitar players and we did the local music store crawl at least once a week. Encore Music in Minneapolis had an “ugly duckling” cherry red 93 Special hanging there that someone had abused - sanded the finish off the back of the neck, installed a Roland synth pickup with screws that could have held a house together, used a vise grips on the bridge adjusting screws, and bunged up the stop tailpiece screws. I picked it up and immediately knew I had to have it. It sounded great even before I plugged it in. I called Hamer (in Illinois still) to see if I could order some cherry tint for lacquer and some new bridge and tailpiece screws. The guy I talked to asked me for the serial number and then said, “Hey, I built that one!” He ended up sending me all the stuff at no charge and I had the poor abused Special made perfect again…and learned what REAL customer service means.

When I bought the Special, Encore also had a brand-new 96 Archtop Goldtop P90 that I was lusting after but couldn’t afford. It finally disappeared and I breathed a sigh of relief. I stopped in there in 2001 and we were chatting about guitars we wished we had never sold when I said, “I sure wish I had bought that goldtop.” The owner said, “do you still want it” and went to the back room and brought it out and handed it to me…so I bought the NOS goldtop and lusted no more and the Special went to a friend of mine who had been nagging me to sell it for years.

I still have the goldtop (and always will) and now have BruceM’s old orange Newport Pro and JES1680’s old red Monaco III…let’s see, what Hamer do I “need” now…the answer is an Eclipse 12-string…anybody got one they don’t need anymore?

In 1984, my local music shop had a number of new Hamers, but this 'old' one in the front window caught my eye

sbbottomangle3.jpg

The store owner tried to swing me towards a new Phantom for $1100 (Australian), but I went for the '77 Sunburst for $1000. Still with me, and it's not going anywhere.

To quote an old cigarette ad: 'Only a Hamer will do, and isn't that all the time ?'

My history is not so romantic, but here it goes anyway: I got from a friend an old import Centaura which played pretty well. I replaced the pickups by a set of Kramer Dual and Quad Rails, and thus I got a hell of a shredder for the price of nothing -- I still own this guitar. Given the amazing quality of this supposed-to-be-crappy-guitar, I decided to buy a NOS Korean Hamer Vector I found somewhere in Albany back in 2002, I think -- I've been into vees since ever, so that was a natural next step . Still impressed, I got my first American Hamer from a fellow HFC'er not so long ago. This guitar was the beautiful Vector KK I recently sold to that guy in South Florida. It was impeccably built and played really well, but after getting the blueburst Vector from Peter, I got so used to the chunkier neck and the sustain-block bridge that I decided to get rid of the Vector KK and build my arsenal just from old USA Vectors -- my wife also played a role on that, by stating that the non-pointy headstock looked "more appropriate" to my age. :lol: So that was it, and here I am now, totally into low-end American Vectors from the eighties. :blink:

Oh you'll love this.

Being a big fan of super strats I was over looking at ED ROMANS site. Yep.

There was a pic of a Hamer Cali. Ed stated it was his favorite American made bolt on all out rock guitar.

Picked one up off of ebay cause I just had to try it.

I got aware of Hamer guitars in 1982, seeing an ad that showed a Hamer Special and a G. Nash Strat (did Nash have something to do with Schecter?) that all was new to me, I just learned the difference between Fender and Gibson guitars then (either was great, but I tended to Fender). In late 1983, I already had a Fender (Lead III) then, the locking trem craze started, I gave Kahler a try first, but wanted a Floyd Rose a short time later only. While I liked the design of the Hamer Cruise bass and I knew that quite many people got into Hamer guitars then, I saw a pic of the then new Hamer Steve Stevens (in candy apple red with chrome hardware), I thought "Wow, this looks so Gibson-like and it even has a Floyd". A short time later I saw a Hamer Firebird which looked even cooler to me (I always liked that shape), as it was even more Gibson-like looking. It took some time to get the money together to buy me my first Hamer which was a candy apple red Steve Stevens I© Standard. I didn't even play any Hamer before. In Germany, the distributor had lots of Custom Hamers then, it was about 1989. Other shops also carried quite many Hamers. One day in 1993, as I bought a Fender US Strat (Limited Edition model), I saw a Hamer that looked like the most beautiful guitar I had even seen then. It was a green Cali with flame maple body, factory EMGs and a reversed headstock. I never thought I'd play a guitar similar to that someday. In 2002, I got the opportunity to find a guitar close to it (except for the neck which had no reversed headstock, no neck binding and no flame maple neck). Though I always loved Fender and Gibson (and Guild too), most of my guitars are Hamers, my main guitar is still a Hamer (the green Cali), but the others don't rest in their cases for long, they all still get their playtime.

Wow! Some great stories here... mine goes as follows

I'd been trying to learn guitar ever since Jr. high (70's), all my friends were musicians, I was the artist guy that drew up promo stuff and even a few album covers (ever hear of sideral gate? :blink: )

Never very good at playing but I usually just had a cheap acoustic, so of course I blamed it on that.

I then played a few friends ELECTRIC guitars (it was a big deal for me) Hell Yeah! but once again I never really owned anything I felt sounded or played right, mostly I remember owning a metalflake red Japanese Strat copy (Harmony I think?). Looked cool but sounded weak.

I had just been messing around with a friends 60's P bass, Man, that thing was cool! Dark blue and beat up just right... and I could actually get some good a sounds outta it (this was around 1999) so I went into SB's only pawnshop just to check out what they had. No P basses but there was a customer standing there with a open guitar case up on the glass counter. Inside was a 96 or so Hamer korean Standard in mint cond. (the natural looking one with the white pickguard, still had the hang tag in the case) I vaguely associated Hamer with Cheap trick and Def Leopard but really knew nothing about the guitars or company.

Turns out he was getting it out of hock but really didn't want it... said he was an acoustic player and bought this in a moment of weakness because it was so purty... and it was, that giant hunk of cheap maple all clearcoated and shit... MAN! He said he'd sell it to me for $240... I met him in a laundramat a few days later to make the exchange and the rest is history :lol:

My first hamer was aquired like this....had a store credit at a shop in Eugene, Oregon

Went to burn it up and had about $900.00 to go and it was getting late so..

I glanced up on the back wall and saw a Snakeskin looking thing that said "Hamer"

on the headstock and sporting 1 humbucker and 1 single at the neck and a wierd

neck...27 frets!!?? WTF!!! and being the early to mid 80's and big haired spandex wearin,girlfriends eyeliner

stealin bastard that I was....I had to have it!! woohoo!! I've been fucked ever since.. :blink:

• 1 year later...

I had heard good things about Hamer and somehow found Willcutt Guitars web site. I ordered an import Echotone new from them and loved it. As for Hamer USA, at the time I was into Teles and heard/read rave reviews on the T-51. I found one on ebay and it's been an expensive (but worth it) hobby ever since. :lol:

Color Me Special!

My first Hamer was a 1982 Special in cherry burst that I got used from Guitar Emporium in Louisville KY late in 1983. I traded a 1965 Jaguar and $50 for it (I paid a whopping $125 for the Jag). I sold the Special about year later because the neck pickup died and I did not have the extra funds for a new pickup at that time. Fast forward to 2006 when a customer walked in to our shop wanting to trade me for a guitar I had for sale at the time. He had this to offer in trade and and when I saw it I jumped on the deal.

DSCN3646.jpg

Man I wish I had bought mine sight unseen. A piano shop disguessed as a guitar shop had one new Hamer - a red P-90 Special. The transparent finish was gorgeous, better than my favorite ad with the 2 Specials leaning against a vintage amp. I couldn't afford it, but I came in weekly just to check on it. One weekend it was gone. Around this time a well known local vintage dealer, who's Vintage Guitar ads use to be the last page in the '90's, became a Hamer dealer. He would stock 3 or 4 models, but his first Special was officially TV Yellow, but could have passed for Diaper Yellow. I bought it anyway as the sound was perfect. Strangely enough, I was just thinking of this slimball as he tried to sell me one of the first run Korina Standards for $2500! He would even charge me extra for the Hamer cases when I bought Hamers from him. I didn't know any better until I got #73 from Make'N Music for $1500 - case included!! That was quite a Hamer Mecca when they were a dealer.

It was the then fiancee, in the local shop, with a Daytona, back in 1995. She got an engagement ring, so she decided I needed something special too, why not a guitar. Uh, OK! So off to the local shop we went, where I tried out a bunch of stuff, and settled on a nice Daytona in trans-wine finish. I turned to her and said "buy me this" and she was like "ok". The look on all the other guys' faces in the shop was priceless. One of them even tried the "buy me this line" on her, but no deal. I still have the guitar and the girl, although I have to admit cheating on the former with several of her sisters: trans-purple sustain block Sunburst, Tally, Newport, & Chap--I'm such a slut :)

MarkB

Zorrow's fault.

He needed money for his first V i believe...and i wanted the Cali, because to me it was -still is- its best sounding guitar

I love it, is my best sounding guitar, even if my first USA guitar -a Special Flamed- i bought it later at Chris's guitars...i used all the info and tips you gave here to choose that one, and i'll always be thankful to this forum for that

Now..i need a plank of mahogany with P-90s..and then, the GAS is supposed to be gone...but i have to wait for Santa maybe... :)

edited to add:

BTW, you've convinced me that there a few guitars companies doing guitars of the quality of Hamer guitars. So even if i had a lot of money, i would be buying Hamers and nothing else (except one or two vintage pieces)

I don't see in my future any guitar that would not be a Hamer USA...and that's this forum's fault :)

I read about Hamer in the mid 80ies and I wanted definitely to have one. But alas I was living in Japan in those days and couldn´t find one. Therefore I called around in NY music shops and was offered a black Chapparal with unfinished neck by Sam Ash. They were not willing to ship the guitar.

So I bought a round-the world ticket (to see my parents in Austria as well) and went from Tokyo via Hongkong, Bangkok, New Delhi, Frankfurt and Vienna to New York where I picked it up. Afterwards I went via San Francisco to Honolulu where my travel agency messed up and I didn´t find a decent hotel room. So I took my Hamer and went to Maui where I rented a Jeep and couldn´t find a proper accomodation again for 3 days. Believe me, sleeping on the beach and having an electric guitar with me was quite a sight for the locals ! Finally I managed to get back via Manila to Tokyo where I plugged it in first time. I was very delighted but later realized that I will never be a shredder and due to the Floyd Rose the guitar didn´t see too much playing. But the guitar is still in my possession.

Taking into account the travel expenses the Chappie is definitely the most expensive one among my 15 guitars :)

My first Hamer actually made waves on this forum before I joined, from what I understand. There was a college student who listed his right-off-the-truck Hamer Studio Custom on ebay. He was asking alot for a guitar that wasn't new. Price was close to new, actually. The auction died and the guitar went to a rack at a shop, I think on consignment. But, I followed up and a deal was made. This is the black flame Studio Custom. Buying a guitar before playing it is a gamble but this guitar is the finest I've played. It's been a real gem.

Got a decent bonus at work, decided to spend it on a decent guitar (my first guitar over the $700 mark). I went to a local mom and pop music shop I like to deal with to try out a decent American strat and came away with this...

duo.jpg

It just felt so right compaired to anyting else in the store. Now have 3 Hamer's (Artist and a Standard).

"81" Vector, on layaway bought in "83". Yeah, it sat in the store for 2 years.It is a trans cherry finish with a streak of flame. Greg has seen it and fixed the "snapped headstock for Hell" that happen years later.The whole reason I found and joined the HFC. I was a line cook and couldn't afford the price of 1000. They through in a Marshall 15 pratice amp for free! At that point I had one other guitar, a "63"Fender Jaguar that I got for 50.00. Have I told HFC how thankfull I am for turning me on to Greg and keeping the Hamer bug going after all these years? I love you guys. Your so special!

I purchased my first Hamer in the late 80's at the tender age of 16. Of course, at this age I was also itching to get a decent set of wheels. My parents had already agreed to match what I could earn towards the price of a vehicle. As much as I wanted a nice used car, a local music shop had a Chaparral Custom that was keeping me up at night. I was able to work out a deal with the folks that enabled me to purchase the Chaparral but left me driving a pea green '76 Ford Courier affectionally known as Moco:) I had the truck for less than a year. I had the Chaparral until I was 23. I hated that truck. I still miss my first Hamer.

Chaparral Custom-Yellow W/Blk Hardware

Maple Neck

Mahogany Body

24 Fret Ebony Fretboard

2 OBL Single Coil

1 Seymour Duncan Humbucker

Floyd Rose

3 Mini Toggle Switches

I got my first Hamer 29 years ago.

I grew up in the Chicago area, which naturally was a hotbed of early Hamer awareness (and Cheap Trick fandom - not unrelated!) back in the 1970s. I thought the Hamer Standard was about the coolest guitar ever, but it was so far out of my reach as a 17 year old it wasn't even worth dreaming about.

My first "decent" guitar was a Gibson L6-S, purchased new in 1977 with grass cutting money (and a little assistance from my parents.) I played it and played it and played it some more, to the point that I wore out the frets in about 3 years. The L6-S was OK, but it just wasn't as cool as a Les Paul or (certainly) a Hamer Standard. But lo and behold, when I was home from college after my freshman year (1980), the local music store (Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL - still there!) had a used 1979 Hamer Sunburst in about 9.9/10 condition - a beautiful darkburst, with a one-piece quilt top, unbound neck, and dot markers. I swapped the L6-S and $150 for the Sunburst (serial #9 0850).

Now, here's where my memory gets a little fuzzy...I don't remember if the Sunburst had an electronic problem, or if I just wanted different pickups at the time. But I must not have liked the then-stock DiMarzios, because I ended up having the store put an uncovered Gibson PAF reissue (now known as a "'57 Classic") in the neck and a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge - this is when Seymour was still not very well known. And just because I thought it looked better on the darkburst, I replaced the black speed knobs with gold tophat knobs. For some reason, the OHSC wasn't available, either, so I've always had it in a Gibson "Protector" case (which is excellent...Gibson ought to bring those back!) I know, all these things are borderline heretical (especially in this crowd), but at the time, it wasn't a collector's piece. As a result of the pickup swaps, it's also got the "wrong" pickup colors for a traditional Hamer...the neck is black/black, and the bridge is cream/black. But that just is something that makes it unique.

And it turned out to be a fabulous guitar. The pickups were a great match for the guitar - even if the pole pieces in the JB don't line up with the string spacing of the Sustain Block bridge. It was my main guitar for the next 15 years, and I just played the frets off of it. It even survived a painful face-first fall off a guitar stand on a drum riser to a stage (about a 4 foot fall) in 1983 without the headstock breaking off. I finally retired it from active duty in about 1997 or so - it was just thoroughly worn out.

But I still have it, and I will always have it. It's still in pretty good shape cosmetically (maybe 8.5/10) and in fact, I'm getting ready to get it refreshed - with new frets (maybe Plekked), a new ivory nut, and a general cleanup. I now have a bunch of newer Hamers (Artist, Vanguard, a koa Mirage II, 2 Monaco Elites, a Superpro, and I finally got a Standard)...but that '79 Sunburst will always have a special place in my heart.

I was a kid gigging in Rochester, NY area where I was also a radio DJ. My original band was recording it's first album and a close friend, who I had given a cassette copy of the basic tracks, played me his idea for the solo on one of the songs that I really loved...totally different from what our band's two guitarists had come up with. So, we asked him to guest on the track for the solo. He'd never been in a real recording studio before and jumped at it...showed up with his Mesa Boogie and two Hamer four-digit Standards (both under SN#75; b&c black and a b&c natural) that he'd new bought from one of the local stores in town, among Hamer's first few dealers. He was big into Cheap Trick.

Anyway, the Hamer name stuck in my mind from that. The band relocated to NYC after the album came out and I had bought a pair of Hagstrom 8-string basses in Buffalo just before we moved to NY. I ended up playing 8-string almost exclusively the next 5 years, beating the living crap out of the Hagstroms, gigging full time. Within a year I had four of them...two to play and two for parts to keep the others alive. I eventually ended up with a Hamer B8S and retired the ailing Hagstroms.

A bizarre aside is that all my gear got stolen in Rochester at one point and some of it showed up in the front window of that early Hamer dealer. When I went in to ID it, the store owner asked that I let him call the person who had brought it in to try and settle the matter. When I went back a couple hours later, my gear was gone and the owner played dumb, trying to get out of having stolen property. He still deals in music gear out in Hollywood now, years later and spent time as the guitar tech for a number of the famous 80s hair bands from the L.A. area.

I ended up getting my gear back. It turned out that a guy I had played with for years in a different band had stolen most of that band's equipment to try and raise money to move to Europe. He felt guilty and later gave it back..for my next birthday he even gave me a '67 Gibson ES-345 to try and make up. Ironically, I got a review copy of a recent CD he did a couple years back that Stan Lynch and some other interesting guys had played on.

Jaye was selling The Riff. I was on the wrong side of the world. Polara (Erick) was going to Lithuania via Sweden. Few more "undercurtain" agreements and I am proud owner of one of the coolest Hamers evah. Nowadays its been "backgraded" to Hamer pots and upgraded to Gregwinds. Thanks to everyone involved!

webhy9.jpg

1986 I saw an ad somewhere.

I was US Army active duty. Bought Opaque Red Special 1981. Previous ownder sanded the back of the neck at a spot where you land your left hand on 15th fret. I didn't mind. I knew for $300 cash I was getting my money's worth.

I felt that if I invested in and owned a LP, that someone might steal it while living in the barracks. Whereas word of mouth reputation had Hamer equal to, if not better than LP.

• 1 year later...

luck and circumstance. In the mid 90's I was after a shred type guitar and the local music shop had my Chaparral in the 2nd hand section. TBH I didn't know too much about Hamer at the time, other than the Steve Steven's endorsement. Anyway the first time I played it, it was a bit of a dog. Unplayable action, the neck wasn't true, just generally badly set up. So I left it. A few weeks later I'd done a bit of Hamer research and when I went back to the shop, not only they had set it up so it played like a dream, but the already bargain price had been reduced! It also came with it's original Hamer hard case - done deal. Happy happy joy joy! etc... :)

Archived