Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sunburst appreciation thread

Travis

I've been looking back on all the old Sunburst threads and I though about starting an official appreciation thread. I'll start with mine.

1978 (8 0111) Sunburst, with the original DiMarzio pickups, tuners, etc. The pots may not be original but are period correct. Can't remember what Greg told me on that one. The sustain block bridge is actually shimmed with what looks like a piece of plastic pickguard material. Nice darkburst finish. Plays like butter and sounds like a 30 year old guitar should. It's only a few months older than I am, so it has a special place in my heart.

8_0111.jpg

8_0111bk.jpg

fullbilco.jpg

backbilco.jpg

I'll play :

#7 0069 The sexy blonde. DOT

IMG_1211.jpg

sunburst18-8008.jpg

Got this from Holland from his second owner who had it since 1980, came with a rare, heavy as hell, original Hamer flightcase.

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

Electronics were modded, and now restored with Hamer pots (push-pull for phase) -

Pick-ups are the original ones. The back of the guitar has some finish issues.

#8 0105 The sunny one. B&C

sunburst78005.jpg

sunburst004.jpg

This one was offered to me over here, a guy called me to ask if I liked older Hamers, as soon as I found out what he ment, jumped in the car and found this one. It was modded with Bill Lawrence pick-ups.

Now restored with the original pick-ups provided by our BCR Greg (altough they are from a '79).

sunburst006.jpg

This the '77-'81 group :

amarcel024.jpg

That's a great threat.

Here are some of mine:

The first one is a 1981, S/N 1 3006, B&C, looks brand new except for two small dings, white binding, OHSC,

all original.

I'm the second owner. This one belonged to a guitar teacher who bought it new in 1981 in Bozen, Italy.

It has a nice flame and a dark unfaded colour.

P1010017.jpg

The second one is a special one.

It's a 1979 with very unusual tuners. I'm certain that they are original to this guitar. Interesting serial number too as you can see in the picture (Conrad, yours is better, i know). It has a beautiful colour with a fantastic flame. All original except for the knobs and the bridge pickup which i had to replace with a period correct Hamer Dimarzio with braided wires. It sound as great as it looks and has a great neck. As far as i know this is one of the last one piece neck Hamer made. Maybe serial can confirm this.

I bought this from our forum member Gabe last year in a gas station somewhere in the Netherlands.

P1010012.jpg

P1010014.jpg

Here's another one from the 1978 i bought from Greg:

P1010033.jpg

#9 1235 my '79 Sunburst....

79ham3.jpg

With it's '79 Standard cousin and an '80 Special only about 300 numbers away.

3hams1.jpg

While not vintage, or even a USA version, this import Hamer Slammer Series flat top Sunburst is a sweetie

Red Dawg

1importham.jpg

Guest pirateflynn

Here are the 4 that have crossed my path. My favorite Hamer's, so far.

My '78 ..... the strap button is now in the proper place!

Sunburst.jpg

My Red '79 .... the pickup color combo now corrected with original pickups.

newred.jpg

My former '79 Lightburst.

DSCN1364.jpg

My former '79 Blackie.

IMG_6112.jpg

Here is a flame to stunn your eyes! 1986 Sunburst Custom with arch top. This one is currently with my tech getting the frets dressed and a pro setup. He was stunned by this flamed top. Not many tops like this around he said.

04-1986-Sunburst-Special.jpg

Here is a flame to stunn your eyes! 1986 Sunburst Custom with arch top. This one is currently with my tech getting the frets dressed and a pro setup. He was stunned by this flamed top. Not many tops like this around he said.

04-1986-Sunburst-Special.jpg

I didn't knew Hamer did carved tops on Sunbursts in '86.

That's a great looker, Mattias

If you (for some reason!) are selling it in the future - let me be the first bidder!! Please! :-)

My favorite Sunburst pic:

FSMSunbursts.jpg

One of the "Twins" was mine:

SunburstTwins.jpg

Another one I had for a while:

81sunburst3pu.jpg

My '91:

My91Sunburst.jpg

I didn't knew Hamer did carved tops on Sunbursts in '86.

That's a great looker, Mattias

They didn't. Not more than a handful around. This is one of two with the Dan Armstrong headstock style.

My favorite Sunburst pic:

FSMSunbursts.jpg

That pic was at the height of my Sunburst affair. I had another pic like that, but with (mostly) four digit Standards on the same stands. Down to four of each now.

From L-R:

1977, 1978 (the one that PFlynn posted above), 1979, 1981 (red opaque), 1981 (red opaque), natural 1982 w/3 ply binding, 1983 w/Hamer tremolo, 1984 archtop Sportomatic, 1985 archtop Electraglide. In the front is my 1989 Sunburst flat top w/Floyd that was Scotti Hill's.

The earliest archtop that I've heard of was from '83 or so (IIRC). I own an '84 and and '85-they are stupidly rare, as is the '86. From what I've seen in the factory logs, there are maybe a half dozen or so all told.

1984 Sportomatic:

fbombincolor_0061.jpg

1985 Electraglide:

011_14A.jpg

1989 Scotti Hill Sunburst:

001_36A.jpg

I'll play :

#7 0069 The sexy blonde. DOT

IMG_1211.jpg

sunburst18-8008.jpg

Got this from Holland from his second owner who had it since 1980, came with a rare, heavy as hell, original Hamer flightcase.

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

Electronics were modded, and now restored with Hamer pots (push-pull for phase) -

Pick-ups are the original ones. The back of the guitar has some finish issues.

THE BLONDE IS THE ONE YOU'll BE SELLING TO ME SOMETIME WHEN I HAVE CASH AND YOU NEED IT!!!!!

Told you, I was born in '69... so the blonde with serial n° 69 makes her very very special to me... and yes, I played her and liked her... Don't mind the finish issue and you can keep that special case if you want to!

Very kind regards Conrad!

Bernard B):D:D

Guest bondedbybrick

Here's a thread I can contribute to! This is my '78 that Uncle Greg refurbished a couple of years ago. I picked it up in 1983 - it had been played alot, had no serial#, had Bill Lawrence L-350 pickups; BUT, it had the phenolic cavity cover and early fender style bridge on an ebony shim. The history of this axe eludes me to this day........

Derek

Recline.jpg

Guest bondedbybrick

Greg's pictures are so purty, I thought I would add another view! Speaking of the Fender style bridge - when I removed it there was a Schecter label affixed underneath? Serial Steve - do you know if Hamer used Schecter bridges on their early Sunbursts?

Derek

steps.jpg

Greg's pictures are so purty, I thought I would add another view! Speaking of the Fender style bridge - when I removed it there was a Schecter label affixed underneath? Serial Steve - do you know if Hamer used Schecter bridges on their early Sunbursts?

Derek

steps.jpg

I'm not aware of that. I know that the shims were either rosewood, ebony or pickguard plastic (usually sprayed black if it wasn't black). I've never seen a factory stock bridge with Schecter on it, but since there weren't any real aftermarket parts suppliers, I guess it's possible.

The Sunburst is definitely a '78 though with those features, and one of the 350 or so that year that had that bridge. That's about as far as I can narrow it down without looking. If it is indeed a '78 and the black is original finish, it would be a lot easier to guess the possible suspects.

Guest bondedbybrick

I'm not aware of that. I know that the shims were either rosewood, ebony or pickguard plastic (usually sprayed black if it wasn't black). I've never seen a factory stock bridge with Schecter on it, but since there weren't any real aftermarket parts suppliers, I guess it's possible.

The Sunburst is definitely a '78 though with those features, and one of the 350 or so that year that had that bridge. That's about as far as I can narrow it down without looking. If it is indeed a '78 and the black is original finish, it would be a lot easier to guess the possible suspects.

Thanks Steve. Both Greg and I think the guitar had a repaint sometime in its life because of the missing serial# and missing headstock logo. Whoever repainted it did a great job 'cause it looks pretty darn good and plays wonderfully!

1989 Scotti Hill Sunburst:

001_36A.jpg

if i coulda found something like that scotti i wouldn't have bought the dean (which i'm enjoying).

i even hit up laura press to sell me her floyded special (she said "nope").

guitars10-07.jpg

Archived