Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sunburst appreciation thread

Travis

For the Sunburst fan, when you need that quick 12 string and BearClaw Spruce is your flavor over a maple top. When Crowns just won't do for an over-the-top guitar you have to go with boomers. (actually I believe our own Bob P. did some of the actual work on this guitar, another killer idea made for Bill Kaman).

dblnecksunburst-1.jpg

Man. Do you have a pick of the whole thang?

Here you go, a few shots of the Doubleneck. Actually balances pretty good on a strap. Love the ply binding on the headstock and body and who doesn't love boomers! Nice idea Bill K!!!!

dblnecksunburstfull-1.jpg

dblnecksunbursthstks.jpg

Here are some other pics I found-

The Paul Stanley Doubleneck. Lots of good stories about this one.

PSdbl-1-1.jpg

Hamer_custom_doubleneck_1983_01.jpg

Another old family shot, more "normal" Sunbursts, they are such great guitars!!!

sunburstfam-2-1.jpg

Enjoy.

Peter.

Hi PF: Jol made me bandsaw that one, you know another one of those factory "seconds", can't have them floating around. Just like they say, don't buy your groceries on a Monday it is all the leftover/handled stuff from the weekend, don't buy a Hamer that was made on Mondays either, unless they have had at least two cups of coffee before hitting the line. :D:D

Pics to come.

Peter

Now this, I want to see!

To keep this thread going, here are a few.

The forked headstock sunburst.....Don't you just love it when Hamer decides to put a wicked twist on things.

forkedheadstockshot.jpg

forkedheadstocksunburstfull3a-1.jpg

For the Electraglide fans. Plain and simple and kickass good looking.

Electraglide1-1.jpg

I honestly don't think you can make a more perfect headstock than this one-long explorer headstock that is bound, come on.

electraglidehead-1.jpg

Here is another fun one, made for Tommy Shaw, flip a switch and "listen carefully, aaaaaahhhhhhh, you can go grab a bite and it's still sustaining that note.....aaaahhhhhhh").

sustainic8-1-1.jpg

For the Sunburst fan, when you need that quick 12 string and BearClaw Spruce is your flavor over a maple top. When Crowns just won't do for an over-the-top guitar you have to go with boomers. (actually I believe our own Bob P. did some of the actual work on this guitar, another killer idea made for Bill Kaman).

dblnecksunburst-1.jpg

The new stuff is pretty damn good, but for us 'old folks around here, they were making some pretty nice guitars back in the 70-80's. (another one of those "factory seconds" with crown inlays but they forgot to bind the neck... ;) )

01522sunburstbdy2A-1.jpg

Enjoy, Sunbursts rule or at least come in a nice second to the old standards!!! Hats off to geniuses at Hamer!!!!

Peter.

OMFG.....Peter your the MAN! WOW DUDE I AM SOOOOOO JEalous

Another Blackie from '78....

8-0214.jpg

BlkSunburst.jpg

That's cool-I used to own #8 0213. A b/c blackie as well.

• 6 months later...

My '93 with a set of Vintage Vibe 540-42 SW in green Hawaiian abalone.. tone to the bone, baby!

sunburst-21.jpg

sunburst-4.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My one and only. 8 0331

1.jpg

Most of the mods were done before I bought it from Kline Music in Sacramento in 1990. I'm responsible for the EMGs and broken headstock ;)

Anyone know if the bridge can be removed and a sustain block put back? I've seen the miracle BCRGreg worked with filling the routing for a floyd on that black sunburst, but the Badass bridge uses posts and the paint would be tricky. I've had her for 20 years, so I figure I'll be keeping her and should have the work done even if she'll never sell for more than $350, which, incidentally, is what I paid for her. I think I asked that here once before several years ago, but don't remember.

5.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

My first post!

Sunburst# 0 1655

Well used before I got it, and I've had it since 1987. Neck pup freshly rewound by DiMarzio and I've replaced the missing speed knob since the photo was taken. I'd snap some better pics, but it's freezing cold in Chicago.

IMGP2087.jpg

Nice welcoming post, Mike A.!!

My first post!

Sunburst# 0 1655

Well used before I got it, and I've had it since 1987. Neck pup freshly rewound by DiMarzio and I've replaced the missing speed knob since the photo was taken. I'd snap some better pics, but it's freezing cold in Chicago.

IMGP2087.jpg

Welcome!!!

That Sunburst is beautiful!!

That's an entrance 8

Beauty !

Didn't knew DiMarzio did rewinds.

How did you specified that ?

My trusted luthier arranged for the rewind. It took a while, but was well worth it. My sunburst has never sounded better!

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Welcome aboard Mike, thats a Super Sunburst.

• 2 months later...

My one and only. 8 0331

1.jpg

Most of the mods were done before I bought it from Kline Music in Sacramento in 1990. I'm responsible for the EMGs and broken headstock :D

Anyone know if the bridge can be removed and a sustain block put back? I've seen the miracle BCRGreg worked with filling the routing for a floyd on that black sunburst, but the Badass bridge uses posts and the paint would be tricky. I've had her for 20 years, so I figure I'll be keeping her and should have the work done even if she'll never sell for more than $350, which, incidentally, is what I paid for her. I think I asked that here once before several years ago, but don't remember.

5.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

"Warhorse" with a capital W...and in a good way!!

I've been looking back on all the old Sunburst threads and I though about starting an official appreciation thread. I'll start with mine.

1978 (8 0111) Sunburst, with the original DiMarzio pickups, tuners, etc. The pots may not be original but are period correct. Can't remember what Greg told me on that one. The sustain block bridge is actually shimmed with what looks like a piece of plastic pickguard material. Nice darkburst finish. Plays like butter and sounds like a 30 year old guitar should. It's only a few months older than I am, so it has a special place in my heart.

8_0111.jpg

8_0111bk.jpg

fullbilco.jpg

backbilco.jpg

thanks for starting this thread. It is so great to see so many cool photos. Paul Hamer

Now appearing for the first time on the HFC: my 1979 Sunburst (s/n 9 0850). I have owned this guitar for 30 years and she was my main guitar for the first 15 of those years...there are a LOT of miles on her! She has been essentially retired for the last 15 years, but looking through this thread last night inspired me to get her out, shine her up, put new strings on, and give her a rip through the Marshalls. And she didn't disappoint! Still sounds great and the (one-piece) neck is worn-in just right by honest play wear (the paint is still there but the shine is gone.) I may just have to put her back in the rotation.

The pickups are not original - that's a Gibson 1957-reissue (late '70s vintage) in the neck and an old, original Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge - back in 1980, that was still a fairly exotic item. And while I think the pots are original, that's a set of Gibson amber top-hat knobs - just because I liked them better than the original black speed knobs. I wouldn't make those changes today, but back in 1980 (when they were done) this was not a "vintage" guitar and frankly the as-modified configuration worked great. Interestingly, the pole pieces in the JB don't even come close to lining up with the strings, but you could never tell by listening to her.

Here are the pics:

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Archived