Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sunburst appreciation thread

Travis

The burst spraying was at its zenith in 1979.

Bought a Hamer Sunburst in 1982. Didn't really know how to play yet. Didn't know anything about guitars. Kept bringing it back because it was out of tune all the time. Drove the guitar guy crazy at Caruso's Music in New London, CT. Ended up selling it. Years later I figured out that I didn't know how to apply even pressure with my fingers when fingering a chord. I was actually bending the chords out of tune by pushing too hard with a finger or two. Dumbass.

Bm

• 5 months later...

Figured it was time to actually take some pix and make a contribution

This '80 has a history with me that goes back to 1982, when I saw her in the now long gone Guitar Center on Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago.

Went in with a couple of friends and saw this. Never owned a humbucking pickup in my life, but wanted a Hamer due to Rick Nielsen, and an interview with him back in late '79 or early '80 (Guitar Player?). Ya gotta love black, and if you grew up in the Chicago area, the graphic would put it over the top. The original winner was a drummer, who had no use for it, and after a couple of years traded it for some drum equipment.

Some of you may be familiar with her, as I sold her along with Standard #0166, back in 2006, to Flynn guitars in Evanston, when Mike Flynn made me a deal I couldn't refuse. HFC member "Racer X" got custody of this one, and I happened upon his 2009 (?) sell off, not knowing he still had it. When I filled in a few details on the story he told about it, he realized it was me, and contacted me saying it belonged back with me.

All original, save for a couple of paint touch-up done by the factory. Sometime after I bought it (1986?), I ran by the shop with a buddy of mine, and when we walked in the door, Jol asks if he can help us. I told him I picked up a used Hamer that had a couple of chips on it, and wanted them repaired. Well, Jol told me that they didn't do that kind of work, but I told him that if he saw the guitar, he may change his mind.

Jol smiles and tells me to go get it, and when I got back in the door and opened the case, he saw it and said, "Yeah, we'll do it, I built this guitar!"

I asked him about the brass nut, and he told me that he put it on just because he had one. Jol wrote me out a receipt on a Hamer logoed pad (which I can't find, but know that I have - ditto #0166, which I also brought in for some paint chips), with a big "N/C" on it - nice guy!

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/rj2858/slideshow/Hamer%20Sunburst

^^^

Thanks for the pix Chris!

Locals will recognize the Loop logo that's been around since the late 70's, when WLUP was FM98 (now 97.9)

I'm sure some of you will also notice that the boys at Hamer misspelled "Gary" (of Steve Dahl and Garry Meier fame), on the back of the neck. I can remember some of the other DJ's ('Mitch' Michaels and 'Sky' Daniels), but don't recall the others - anyone know?

It's a great guitar with absolutely no checking, it's rarely been out of the house, but did spend a night back in 1983, in the hands of Gil Pini, formerly of the "Boyzz from Illinoizz", when he was playing at a club I was managing at the time - The Charlie Club in Mount Prospect, with the band Deluxury. Gil was a buddy of mine, and liked it so much he wanted to trade his new Candy Apple Red "The Strat" for it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi friends,
I need some help for my sunburst. Which pickup works good in the bridge position for buesrock. I am still looking ...
Current I use a seymour duncan JB Model SH4, who’s a little bit too aggressive, I think. Thanks!

If you like the JB but it is just to aggressive, I would try the Custom 5 or the Custom Custom. You'll get tons of suggestions but the best thing is to just buy a couple of different ones and try them all out. Jim Wagner Pickups are also a good choice.

I would start with the Custom 5.

• 6 months later...

hello friends,

finally, i bought my first Hamer Sunburst 78, s/n 8 0251, big dots, long headstock.

i did not score it but very happy to find one, here in Europe.

it has non original tuners and bridge and i think get it back to stock will not be easy..I will keep looking for original parts though.

THE SOUND is huge, very comfortable neck, lot of sustain with very low action.

post-110386-0-06049300-1411916084_thumb.

post-110386-0-89772300-1411916109_thumb.

Early long headstock 78.

Nice one.

Bullseye Grovers appear from time to time but plain backed ones are easy to find.

Place a wanted ad in the for sale section here for a 78 sustain block bridge, this is the best place to look for one or a good alternative.

Be careful what you wish for... I recently placed a WTB ad for a red Sunburst and here's what I got...

A 1979 dot and a 1980 b/c from two very respectable HFC members.

photo3_zpsb8d8864a.jpg

photo1_zpsf2c8f74c.jpg

My wife said, do you really need two red ones? B)

Archived