Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sunburst appreciation thread

Travis

It's a small run Hamer did for the HFC Open House one year. They were all stunning.

The run was offered to HFC'ers at the open house that year.

• 2 weeks later...

hello friends,

finally, i bought my first Hamer Sunburst 78, s/n 8 0251, big dots, long headstock.

i did not score it but very happy to find one, here in Europe.

it has non original tuners and bridge and i think get it back to stock will not be easy..I will keep looking for original parts though.

THE SOUND is huge, very comfortable neck, lot of sustain with very low action.

Hi,

, so now she looks like that

post-110386-0-43750800-1414099435_thumb.

Just a quick knob question; What knobs where used in `78? I`ve seen black and amber bell knobs and speed knobs. Did Hamer have a random knob attachement system or was it one type and all I`ve seen is retro fitted?

I Need knobs for my `78 and want it as correct as possible.

Could the reflector knob on my guitar be an original?

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/67260-my-newest-and-oldest-hamer/

it does not look an original, but I believe different knobs were used during 78..

my guitar 80251 and 80253

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/22800-sunburst-appreciation-thread/?p=550487

have the same black knobs...looks like small production batches had different hardware: like we had big dots, black knobs and white switches

Just a quick knob question; What knobs where used in `78? I`ve seen black and amber bell knobs and speed knobs. Did Hamer have a random knob attachement system or was it one type and all I`ve seen is retro fitted?

I can't remember if I've seen a '78 with bell knobs.

I have black speed knobs on my earliest '79. And bell knobs on my two other later '79's. My old Standards all have bell knobs.

If you go with black speed knobs on the '78 you can't go wrong, that is for sure.

Welcome Darksoul24.

Very nice 78 you have there.

If you're the original owner then we need more details and bigger pics please.

Is this your only Hamer or do you have more ?

If you hang here long enough it's very difficult to resist getting more so hide your wallet.

My 1978 Sunburst, 1st owner. #5 0894

FNVefQV.jpg

Was the serialization done differently in '78, or might that be #8 0894?

A typo, sry. Must be 8 0594. I'll post a pic of the number when i recharged the battery of my camera :rolleyes:

Details: Tuners replaced (but still Grover). Have the originals. Bone nut replaced by a graphite b/c of tuning issues the original nut gave.

Reflector knobs would not have been original.

They are...that's how it was when i purchased it. I even have the case candy that came with it. Mind you, that was just a sticker... :) I knew the owner of the shop who sold it so I am positive I am the 1st owner. (The shop closed several years ago, the owner deceased).

That shop had the dealership. As far as I know only 2 Hamers were sold in/around my town prior to 1980. This one and a sunburst dotneck. The dotneck did have different knobs though. Maybe it has to do with the fact that mine has crown inlays and bindings, i.e is a more expensive one?

They are...that's how it was when i purchased it. I even have the case candy that came with it. Mind you, that was just a sticker... :) I knew the owner of the shop who sold it so I am positive I am the 1st owner. (The shop closed several years ago, the owner deceased).

That shop had the dealership. As far as I know only 2 Hamers were sold in/around my town prior to 1980. This one and a sunburst dotneck. The dotneck did have different knobs though. Maybe it has to do with the fact that mine has crown inlays and bindings, i.e is a more expensive one?

I think Chris was answering Hanspanzers earlier question.

Your knobs look like the originals to me Darksoul.

P.S. If you ever want to part with it let me know.

I've always been a bit curious as to the hardware fitted to the early Sunbursts.

My '78 has the amber bell/bonnet knobs, a black switch tip and unplated bridge saddles and I've often wondered if they were the original parts. It also has 5 bullseye Grovers and one flatback. Pics attached.

100_0095.jpg

100_0097.jpg

100_0098.jpg

100 guitars later we have black knobs and white switches :)

PS. great sunburst, i wish my would be so clean

Thanks vitass, but not quite as clean as those pics depict. My Sunburst has checked, and has some battle scars on her, especially round the edge of the headstock, and the puckup bobbins and rings are more yellowed than the pics show. I think the camera makes them appear whiter than they actually are.

100_0093.jpg

100_0094.jpg

100_0101.jpg

Archived