Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sunburst appreciation thread

Travis

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody !

Here's my 1978 that I recently bought on eBay Germany. It came with a non original recent case. Just a few days ago I snagged a beautiful and very well worn original case on eBay. All latches working and handle not broken. Just well worn and period correct ... :D

When the guitar arrived it had a replaced upper strap pin. The original pin was gone and the screw was sheared off. I had my local luthier drill the old screw out and plug/refinish the screw hole and fitted my favorite locking pins - Kluson Multi Locks. They have screw on caps and look very "Gretschy". I fit all my guitars with these strap pins. The guitar did not have the original pickups anymore and was fitted with push/pull pots for coil splitting. I put some nice Bourns pots in (love the loose feel of these) with an RS Guitarworks capacitor. It's wired normally (according to the available schematic), but I had the Neck pickup built reverse for the sweet out of phase sound in the middle position. Wolfgang Damm of Amber Pickups in Germany made a pair of sweet "Spirit of 59" Humbuckers with lightly aged bobbins in the correct colors. The pickups really compliment the guitar with very sweet highs and a nice PAF "honk". High gain leads in the middle position are my favourite !! :P

It had a fret dress and a new nut installed. It plays and sound like a dream. Currently my main guitar. I love it and I'm definitely keeping it, so don't ask ... :P

Here we go:

BAN_0210_zps7f20030f.jpg

BAN_0220_zpsaec1dcec.jpg

BAN_0214_zps4147d11f.jpg

BAN_0225_zps2e0d96da.jpg

BAN_0239_zpsf02562a6.jpg

BAN_0228_zps7e45d937.jpg

BAN_0224_zps465ce556.jpg

BAN_0223_zpsdd9df292.jpg

BAN_0218_zps3f4e9bbc.jpg

BAN_0215_zps3c7b5109.jpg

Your sunburst is in amazing condition for its age. WOW!

One question: is the bridge with wooden base original?

The earliers ones had the rosewood shim to raise the height up to the fretboard. The creation of the Sustainblock was final remedy.

That's one nice top ! It's got more of a darker tone to it, that looks stunning too. Also well kept !!

I'm into the '77s and '78s for the shimmed bridge and the one piece neck. Sort of a sexy and charming faulty design ... :)

And I just love low serial numbers (8 0425). Next one is a '77, if I ever get my hands on one at a decent price ... preferably unbound and dotted.

Cheers Todde

The first Hamer I "saw" was an aztec gold fat quilt maple top special from the mid 90's on ebay, I still regret I didn't buy it, the price was ridiculous as well.....

I was looking for a Les Paul kind of high quality alternative. After I'd bought an LP Custom MIJ Burny, I wanted a USA made high quality instrument. The burny was well built, but it was chambered and the pickups were crap, the finish was a really fat poly finish as well.... I didn't know much about these details back then and today I probably would've swapped the pickups of this Burny, it was CHEAP and had a certain vintage vibe to it as well.

I sold it, and first bought a Heritage CM150 LP Ultra which was an AWESOME guitar and I sold it, D'oh! Still kick myself in the butt for that. At the same time I got a Monaco Elite in TS finish, which was also awesome and which I also sold, D'oh! I still miss it!

After these stupid deeds I had to get a Hamer again, and I got a 92 sunburst custom! Awesome guitar, but different. An awesome guitar is never possible to replace completely, every guitar is different!

• 1 month later...

Well, new guitar day today again ... 82 Sunburst B&C all original down to the frets. Killer sound and slightly bigger neck than my 78.

What do you think ? :P

DSC_0441_zpsa3usgb7p.jpg

DSC_0440_zpsqsghpvug.jpg

DSC_0454_zpsaehzscge.jpg

DSC_0450_zpscyt3pkau.jpg

DSC_0448_zpse4z3aygg.jpg

DSC_0446_zpsd01buqkj.jpg

Cheers, Todde

Here are some more pics:

DSC_0438_zpsq9jnaxru.jpg

DSC_0437_zpsbojumx1q.jpg

Dont's ask me ... dunno what the rose is about ... it was there when I got it ... and the case seems to be original to the guitar.

DSC_0436_zpsrvj4u5eg.jpg

DSC_0449_zps0u9ssmvx.jpg

DSC_0451_zpsfmxq0yns.jpg

DSC_0450_zpscyt3pkau.jpg

DSC_0453_zpsb02tvgko.jpg

Cheers, Todde

Cornjulio,

It's a keeper, sorry ... just to good to let go for the €850 I paid and I just love the "unburst" :P

After I bought my eBay price record breaking 78 I thought I would need a backup, so I decided to get one. I looked around for weeks to no avail (I actually missed a near mint 79 that sold for €1300 in the Thomann classifieds). Last Sunday night I check eBay Kleinanzeigen, type in "Hamer" and the first ad is the above guitar. It had 70 views already and I reckoned it was long gone. It turns out that the guy did not want to ship, local pickup only. Apparently all the contacts were asking for shipment.

I wrote him, told him I would come the next day any time convenient, told him I would not negotiate the price and shell out the dough cash and gave him my full name, address and phone number, so he could check me out. That was about 11 pm on Sunday.

I got an SMS 10 minutes later with an appointment for the next day and ... well here she is ... :P I was just stupid lucky ... also that my buddy did not see it before me. He'd been checking eBay Kleinanzeigen too and lives only half the distance.

So, if I ever sell it, it goes to my buddy, who's been scratching on my door ... :P

Cheers Todde

• 4 weeks later...

Archived