Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Kaman sold to Fender

alpep

I dunno. It does gives Fender a sure-fire Gibson killer.

Hamer never has been a Gibson killer, even at their peak production. Gibson throws more into the trash bin than Hamer currently produces.

Kaman left Hamer alone. No telling what Fender will do with Hamer. I hope we get a reassuring 'open letter' from them soon.

I just meant more from the mahogany-bodied, maple-topped, two pickup, 24.75" scale guitar, perspective. Something Fender just really never seems to get going very well.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got off the phone with Hamer. All is going to continue as is, when more info is available they will tell us dealers.

Order now, kids, get the real thing while "as is" is "as is".

I dunno. It does gives Fender a sure-fire Gibson killer.

Hamer never has been a Gibson killer, even at their peak production. Gibson throws more into the trash bin than Hamer currently produces.

Kaman left Hamer alone. No telling what Fender will do with Hamer. I hope we get a reassuring 'open letter' from them soon.

I just meant more from the mahogany-bodied, maple-topped, two pickup, 24.75" scale guitar, perspective. Something Fender just really never seems to get going very well.

I don't think it's within their core competencies to produce that kind of guitar. That's why I'm hoping they leave Hamer alone. Otherwise, my God, Hamer's production capability is so beneath their radar I'd have to wonder why they'd bother with it.

I just got off the phone with Hamer. All is going to continue as is, when more info is available they will tell us dealers.

Order now, kids, get the real thing while "as is" is "as is".

How long before Studios come stock with maple fingerboards and white pickguards?

Its going to be hard to say. This has been a HUGE topic over at the Jackson forum when Jackson got bought out by Fender.

Some things did change - the biggest thing were quality control issues even with the Custom Shop. For example, normally when Jackson would screw up a body for instance they would start all over from scratch. Since being owned by Fender they are now reworking everything to save money on materials.

So there is always different financial circumstances that will affect things somewhat when this type of thing happens.

No way of telling at this point.

I can say though there still are some stellar guitars coming out of Fender and Jackson. And EVH has his new Wolfgang made by Fender and it sounds great.

So I don't think all is lost......yet.

Guess now when I bring some of my Jacksons to the Hamer jams I can say we are all one big family!

I'm not aware of any changes in the production of Jackson guitars since Fender bought them (granted I haven't worked at a dealer in 3 years). But I was working at a dealer during the change. The production plant was the same with the same staff and the guitars were the same quality (And I've owned a lot of USA custom shop Jacksons). If anything, they just brought back strat headstock shaped charvels. I doubt they'll change much, if anything, about the American Hamers.

This is interesting to read about though.

Jol seems to be blogging regularly lately, so we can watch for his comments.

There is no need to worry as long as the same crew of guys is kept in the Hamer shop. Unless Fender has cheaper overhead in California, they are not likely to move the Ovation factory. Hamer will likely stay put where it is with the same people.

I wonder if this changes the outlook on Standards and Vectors at all (In regard to overall shape and headstock design)?

I doubt it. Standards are part of the bread and butter of the company. Their Vectors are iconic too.

Now you'll probably be able to get bolt-ons made in the fender custom shop stamped with Hamer on the strat/tele shaped headstock. lol!

If anything, they just brought back strat headstock shaped charvels. I doubt they'll change much, if anything, about the American Hamers.

I hope they do include more options in Hamer's headstock shape.

All Fender needs to make the purchase to add value for them, is to maintain the quality, but make the guitars appealing.

If anything, they just brought back strat headstock shaped charvels. I doubt they'll change much, if anything, about the American Hamers.

All Fender needs to make the purchase to add value for them, is to maintain the quality, but make the guitars appealing.

Given their huge backlog, I would say Hamer guitars are already appealing...

-Austin

Here's an interesting excerpt from Fender's press release:

Commenting on the announcement, Matt Janopaul, President and Chief Operating Officer of FMIC, said, “FMIC is a proven steward of great brands, and the acquisition of KMC is consistent with this long-term growth strategy.

Hmmm...what was it again that happened to Sunn?

The distribution expertise that Kaman Music brings to the music marketplace will complement and strengthen FMIC’s service to its dealers and consumers.”

It's pretty clear it's the distribution that Fender wanted. Who knows what will become of Hamer and Hamer USA. The market is flooded with beginner guitars, so one wouldn't think that Fender would have much to gain with the Hamer import line. Maybe they'll leave Hamer USA alone, or sell it off. Whether Hamer USA could be viable on its own is another question.

MoJohn

Hmmm...what was it again that happened to Sunn?

Sunn's injuries were self-inflicted well before Fender bought them. You can blame Hartzell for the demise of that name.

Fender tried, a couple times. The stuff they put out in the late '90s was solid product, and it was marketed pretty hard. The worst you could say about Fender was the fact that they let the brand sit for ten years or so, but to be fair the stink Hartzell put on it probably took that long to dissipate.

"Another one bites the dust", well we can all hope it doesn't but I got bad vibes on this one.

Hey how about we all pich in a few hundred thou and buy the company from Fender? They we can run it by committiee and make all the Hamers we have always wanted that Jol won't do!

Archived