Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NHC: Early Gibson Futura

Is this fer real? The dealer claims it has the original PAFs. The dealer wants $15,000 for it, which, if it is what it purports to be, strikes me as very reasonable (if way the hell beyond what I'm able to spend). No danger of me buying it no matter what.

The neck looks mahogany.

Futura%20001.jpg

Futura%20front.jpg

Futura%20back.jpg

Well if they are real PAF's then 15 large is quite the bargain. If they keep going up in value you could sit on 'em for a little while and turn a profit down the line. Of course NOTHING sounds as good as original PAF's :D as their market value shows and if they turn out to be double whites they'll sound even better.

Seriouslly, I got no idea if that thing is really late 50's or not. The tuners are probablly aftermarket and yeah that neck looks like mahogany to me too. Maybe a Kalamazoo "lunch box" guitar?

Concur with davide's assessment. Apparently, the 'futura' was a name given to the prototypes in '57 for the eventual 'explorer' in '58 or '59. It looks like a reissue, but unable to view the serial numbers, etc. :D

At any rate, it's nice to see Nielsen's model done with the original manufacture (gibson). ;)

kilroy posts... :D

Replica.

Gibson would never put tuners on upside down in the 1950's.

NOW, they might, but back then they did a good job.

I've seen a few of those guitars in my day.

Replica.

Gibson would never put tuners on upside down in the 1950's.

NOW, they might, but back then they did a good job.

I've seen a few of those guitars in my day.

F'n Dick Tracy!

The dealer originally had it listed as an "Early Futura with original PAF pickups." To me that implies late 1950s. I e-mailed the dealer and he sheepishly said he "wasn't sure," but to "be safe" he'd say the early 1980s. Argh. He has since amended his webpage to be less misleading.

Nothing to see here, folks. . . move along.

Archived