Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Custom Finish Color Help

Guest brinkmanship

Guest brinkmanship

Alright I have 4 Hamers, in pretty much all their standard colors that I like. I am going to be ordering a Artist Custom this week (canceling a heritage in favor of a hamer). As it stands now I have hamers Aztec Gold, Indigo Blue, Amber Burst, and Honey finishes. I guess I am going to have to order a custom color. There are some cool custom colors on Willcutts website. I just really want some ideas. I am very partial to lighter colors. Yellows, Blues, Oranges thing like that. I just have no idea what would go good on this particular guitar. I have never had the problem of not knowing what I want colorwise until now. I am thinking about going natural for the first time...not sure though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just really want some ideas. I am very partial to lighter colors. Yellows, Blues, Oranges thing like that. I just have no idea what would go good on this particular guitar. I have never had the problem of not knowing what I want colorwise until now. I am thinking about going natural for the first time...not sure though.

I'm partial to trans purple, but natural is nice, too.

1044828705463_NewPort___Artist_2.jpg

Does trans green float your boat?

Guest brinkmanship

Does trans green float your boat?

I love the idea of trans green, I have owned two trans green guitars. I just cant ever seem to get the color on the guitars I order to come out right. First one looked way to Dark of a green, then the second one I got was crazy neon looking...

Also I really dig those photos up there. That birdseye top is awesome. Thats not a newport pro BE is it? It just has the dots. Did you just upgrade a Newport std? The purple looks awesome too. I really like the idea of having a natural back with any finish. My studio custom is Indigo with a natural back and neck.

Trans-orange is nice, and so is green.

Then, there's "gatorburst"

Gatorfull.jpg

Holy crap that gorgeous. I am rethinking green. My wife is always harassing me to buy a green guitar. Keep those custom hamer colors coming! Thanks guys.

Guest brinkmanship

Willcutt's Brown Sugar is stunning IMO and my absolute fav custom finish for a Hamer.

I actually sent in the quote today with that finish. I really like the way it looks. I just fear it might be close to the honey finish I already. Not that I will ever be able to play them both at the same time. I am actually leaning more and more toward natural. I have always wanted one, but never been able to force myself to do it. It takes a killer top to pull natural off IMO.

1044828705463_NewPort___Artist_2.jpg

That newport is really inspiring me too get an artist custom with a birdseye top in the natural finish. Anyone think they would do that? Is that Natural the regular natural or the vintage natural? I am really digging it...

For me, it's all about the figuring in the wood, so my ideal is as much wood grain showing and highlighted as possible.

I have Natural (TLE), Cherry Burst (Studio), Iced Tea Burst (Duotone), Tobacco Burst (Newport) and then this burst on my Special, which was ordered as Tobacco, but is a bunch of different colors depending on what light is on it. This is my fave. Everytime I open the case I get excited. When I order my next custom Hamer, I'm going to send them a picture of this finish to match to.

CamJrEdge.jpg

The guitar in my photo is a Newport 12 string. The finish is the regular natural - no toner.

If you're going with a non-stock finish, have Hamer send your dealer a sample and ask your dealer to send it to you for approval/comment.

I had a couple custom colors done that Hamer just nailed in the final product. Elduave was extremely patient with me through those! :P

Guest brinkmanship

If you're going with a non-stock finish, have Hamer send your dealer a sample and ask your dealer to send it to you for approval/comment.

I had a couple custom colors done that Hamer just nailed in the final product. Elduave was extremely patient with me through those! :P

How does the process work? Does it delay the guitar? Or do they make the guitar while they work on the finish. I saw someone with a tortoise finish on this board that had a square board that hamer finished so he could see the finish...I really am thinking I am going to have to do a custom color, because I dont want any of the other stock finishes.

When we come up with a new color(which we do, on occasion), I have a color sample sprayed on the wood type so that the mix will be right and the customer can see the color in person BEFORE it's sprayed....

BCRBlueBurst.jpg

kilroysample-1.jpg

How does the process work? Does it delay the guitar? Or do they make the guitar while they work on the finish. I saw someone with a tortoise finish on this board that had a square board that hamer finished so he could see the finish...I really am thinking I am going to have to do a custom color, because I dont want any of the other stock finishes.

(This is how it worked for me and my dealer) First you place the order with your dealer. On the order sheet, they request a color sample for the customer . Hamer sprays the sample and sends it to the dealer, who then sends it to you. You make the approval, send the wood back and they paint it. I assume the guitar is being built during this time, it just hasn't gone to the paint booth. Does it delay the process? Probably, but it's negligible. I mean if it's a totally custom piece, don't you want it 100% to your liking? Hamer delivered in spades on my order and have done so on more HFC'ers guitars to count. The paint on foodermon's Gator-burst Standard Custom is over-the-top in so many ways. As I recall, Hamer sent more than one sample and he picked the his favorite of the bunch. If this is incorrect, please set me straight, but I saw the samples as well as his original "concept swatch" at the Cajun Jam a couple years back. Here's a shot of the Tortoise sample. The finished product was exactly matched, I couldn't be happier.

normal_Lilywood.jpg

That's how Hamer does it with custom colors - you'll get the test piece in to your dealer to approve/sign off. You return it and voila, your custom order is underway in the finish of your choice perfectly matched. They wouldn't want to get a customers custom order done and it be the wrong color. I got 2 or 3 samples with my Caddy Green M3 (one was more like a vintage, faded example and the other was more olive metallic, like my old GTO). They got it perfect in the end.

Guest brinkmanship

That's how Hamer does it with custom colors - you'll get the test piece in to your dealer to approve/sign off. You return it and voila, your custom order is underway in the finish of your choice perfectly matched. They wouldn't want to get a customers custom order done and it be the wrong color. I got 2 or 3 samples with my Caddy Green M3 (one was more like a vintage, faded example and the other was more olive metallic, like my old GTO). They got it perfect in the end.

Did you send them photos of what you were looking for, or did you just write out a general idea?

Did you send them photos of what you were looking for, or did you just write out a general idea?

The first time, I sent photos of what I had in mind. The tile came back and I said that I wanted a touch more blue in it, and it came out exactly as I had envisioned:

MyTealB4mBack.jpg

The second time, they got it perfect after a few tries:

M3closeup.jpg

Guest brinkmanship

(This is The paint on foodermon's Gator-burst Standard Custom is over-the-top in so many ways.

This is my last question before I get up with my dealer tomorrow and start the process. Do you get to name your color? Is it on the certificate? I love that name above Gator-Burst totally amazing. I have been thinking and I think I want to go with a really bright yellow and orange sunburst. Very poppy colors. I want to call it Solar-Burst. Anyway...I thank you for all your help guys.

Archived