Hamer Fan Club Message Center

John Mayer

I'm presently reading the Clapton autobio (not bad at all, particularly if he didn't use a ghoster...but some of them English terms will be a bit awkward to a Yank reader), and the mention of Mayer and Clapton in a post RE the EVH fit got me to thinking what the big deal is about Mayer? Admittedly, I haven't heard him much, but everytime I have, I've been seriously underwhelmed. Izzit supposed to be his chops? Singing? Songwriting? Any particular (so-called) "retro" appeal? His facial contortions?

I'm totally serious here;not being cynical.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno. Never heard anything but the popular stuff from him... and his playing on Chappelle's show. His rendition of the Different Strokes theme song, I liked at least.:rolleyes:

He could suck. Or it could be one of those things where people judge him only by the popular stuff. Kinda like how fools used to think Queensryche's stuff must have all sounded like "Silent Lucidity" or something.

By his own admission, the earlier stuff (writing, singing, facial mannerisms) was a blatant attempt to get chicks to buy his records. To that extent he succeeded. Now he's going for some sort of blues cred and, as far as I can tell, is failing miserably. His agent and publicist must be working way overtime.

Guest pirateflynn

This will either be the shortest thread of the New Year or the longest.

Over/under is currently at 68 replies, so put your money where your mouth is, Florist Guy.

I bet you one bunch of Petunias for a stack of DVDs.

OK but you'll have to pry my TW vids from my cold, dead hands. For those of us who haven't actually screwed her, it's all we have.

You have to have couth, a high degree of sophistication, coupled with a strong bond with your inner self, and have the ability to divorce yourself of surroundings and put yourself into the mantra of musical poenda juice Mayer effortlessly delivers to "get" John Mayer. Not everyone can get the subtle shifts of temperance and mood delivered to the brain cells by the master of musical flatulence and for that there is Wild Turkey.

Guest pirateflynn

OK but you'll have to pry my TW vids from my cold, dead hands. For those of us who haven't actually screwed her, it's all we have.

I know. You told me that already. But, I could give you her work #. She'll answer the phone ...... :rolleyes:

I don't see why people bash the guy. I thought his pop tunes were pretty good for being radio friendly pop tunes. At least his voice is instantly recognizeable (unless you confuse it with Dave Matthews). I think he's a fine guitar player and certainly better than many making a living at it. I also like his strat tone.

Then again, I haven't liked anything he's done enough to go out and buy his CD's. Or even steal it.

While he's not my cup of tea, I'm happy to see a young guy playing music that isn't Dave Matthews-style stuff or hip-hop. I think he's an okay player but he's certainly no guitar hero.

"Underwhelming" is the perfect word to describe the guy. UNLESS you're a 40-55 year old woman. Every time I get into a discussion that music is a part of with anyone fitting into this category, they ALWAYS bring up his name.

I think his music absolutely sucks/blows. His vocals are worse than Dave Matthews' "naylizz on-a chawkboad" crap.

I don't give a rat's ass HOW good of a guitar player he might be. He can come off as somewhat amusing-he was on the Chappelle Show in a skit, but even there, trying to show off "chops" (if that's what he was doing) he didnt' strike me as a player of any greatness.

He's a better player than Conan O'Brien though.

Not to take this thread sideways, but wth. Mayer and Crossroads were mentioned above. Let's get out our essay books to "compare and contrast" his 2007 performance with Jeff Beck (oh yeah, and Tal Wilkenfeld--whew, absolutely amazing bassist, and well, other things) at the same concert. Perhaps my "experience" is showing, but, Where's da beef John? Nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZj-k-VIFNI...feature=related

Archived