Hamer Fan Club Message Center

John Mayer

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that Santana invented a new genre, but the approach of the original lineup was innovative in its time---diverse lineup w/ music that had diverse sources...and I'm an individual who detests the "feel-goodism" of the way the term "diversity" is batted around nowadays.

On the other hand, it isn't out of line to opine that Carlos practically invented an enduring guitar tone ("The Cry") although he was influenced in that sound by Javier Batiz of Tijuana.

Saw the original incarnation of Santana in October '69 in Atlanta w/ Joe Cocker & the Grease Band and Chicago. I think one of the reasons the original Santana went over so well in concert was Chepito Areas and Michael Carabello both flailing away on side-by-side congas (although Chepito played timbales on occasion). Something like that hadn't been seen or heard in a rock band context before. Carlos had his SG Special.

You could have written the Wikipedia article on CS. Very impressive.

No self-aggrandizement intended, but I got the info on accounta I interviewed Batiz, and it was one of the more interesting interviews I've ever done---and the gain on the phone line from Mexico City was actually better than most of the domestic interviews I've recorded. Batiz still lives in Tijuana in the house where he was born, amid brutal poverty, but is known nationally (he sent me a lotta newspaper clippings, etc.).

Carlos gave him a PRS. Other Mexican-born players like Marco Mendoza are Batiz fans.

No self-aggrandizement intended, but I got the info on accounta I interviewed Batiz, and it was one of the more interesting interviews I've ever done---and the gain on the phone line from Mexico City was actually better than most of the domestic interviews I've recorded. Batiz still lives in Tijuana in the house where he was born, amid brutal poverty, but is known nationally (he sent me a lotta newspaper clippings, etc.).

Carlos gave him a PRS. Other Mexican-born players like Marco Mendoza are Batiz fans.

Allright dangnabbit! I'm a sucker for just this kind of stuff. 'm ordering a copy of Guitar People off of Amazon.com tonight. :)

:)

For me it was the lyrics from his radio songs off of Room for Squares album plus the whispering, cooing vocals. Not to mention the cutsie pie hairdo with the curls hanging down in his eyes and those ridiculous overdone faces. I don't know the guy but his John Mayer "product" ain't for me. I get the same feeling if I listen to Rob Thomas the "sensative guy" singing one song after another about being scared and vulnerable while the women let out a collective sigh. UGH. It's all been done before ad nauseum. Doesn't anybody remember David Cassidy? Not a fan of his stuff either. To me the John Mayer product is a modernized version. I just don't care for it that much. Never have. I doubt that the real John Mayer gives a shit what I think. I'm not in the demographic. Why would I be jealous? We're talking about a product here. Not a person.

Joe

Wait, so did I win yet? What's the story McChris?

You win the entire John Mayer catalog to date, plus the toe of my boot in your left buttock the next time we get together for lunch.

Guest pirateflynn

Wait, so did I win yet? What's the story McChris?

You win the entire John Mayer catalog to date, plus the toe of my boot in your left buttock the next time we get together for lunch.

That sounds great.

This thread has been very edjemacashunul. I learned that Santana invented 'Shaman Rock' to carry his ego. I also learned that it s difficult to choose between sex partners, given the choice of Timberlake or Mayer, though Mayer smells better with Greg's pee. The best thing I learned about John Mayer from any thread bar none, was that there exists a lovely clip on the net of two frolicking damsels called "2girls1cup".

(Do *not* google the clip at work!!!)

I have to say,

that wasn't bad.

Except for the parts where he was singing.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Crossroads festival you can see that Mayer has amazing, amazing talent and potential.

He has been seen, as of late, getting plastered in the tabloids.

I think his career is suffering and he needs new management. Put him together with other musicians and eat some occasional crow (even sheryl crow), but the man, IMO, could be the next SRV....

maybe he needs sensationalism, biting the head off of a bat or something.

Archived