Hamer Fan Club Message Center

John Mayer

Although I'm not a real big fan of his Dave Mathews singing style, I found the recent Austin city limits show pretty enjoyable. As far as him being considered a monster player I don't see that at all. He's no Joe Bonamassa singing or playing by any stretch but I think he has some decent tunes if you can overlook some of the cheesy stuff. You could say that about plenty of bands cough** Che*p T*ick** cough. :rolleyes:

I think some of the stuff grooves pretty good and also a little funky too.

Clip from ACL

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to take this thread sideways, but wth. Mayer and Crossroads were mentioned above. Let's get out our essay books to "compare and contrast" his 2007 performance with Jeff Beck (oh yeah, and Tal Wilkenfeld) at the same concert. Perhaps my "experience" is showing, but, Where's da beef John? Nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZj-k-VIFNI...feature=related

Since you took the thread sideways (lol!), Tal Wilkenfeld impressed the shit out of me! To Hell with John Mayer.

From her site: "She originally set foot on American soil as a guitar player, and less than four years ago, she started playing the bass guitar. Instantly, she was offered an endorsement with Sadowsky guitars, and since then, has played bass behind Jeff Beck, Chick Corea, Hiram Bullock, Vinnie Colaiuta, the Allman Brothers Band, Wayne Krantz, Kenwood Dennard, Geoffrey Keezer, Russell Ferrante, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Eric Krazno, Susan Tedeschi, and John Beasley."

...and I never heard of her.

I really need to get out more.

I'm not a fan and don't own anything of his, but personally would rather see somebody like John Mayer influencing kids and their musical tastes than that BS boy band crap inflicted on the world a decade ago. I appreciate the fact that he can actually PLAY and seems to dig doing that more than the sappy chick song shite. The guy sure as hell seems to be enjoying himself!

All that being what it is, I still freakin' HATE Dave Matthews.

The big deal about John Mayer is He's an modern pop artist who:

1) Writes his own songs

2) Plays an instrument well

3) Gives a good live performance

4) Drives the ladies crazy

5) Isn't a sullen asshole

Lowered standards perhaps, but is there anyone else playing pop that you can say that about? I like his pop stuff myself, but can't really understand why people get all in a lather about him either way.

-

Austin

1) Writes his own songs

+1. Personally I think he's a funny dude from various interviews I've seen/read. Maybe if his music gig shits the bed he'll turn his stand up comedy hobby into a career.

I was not really a fan of the first couple albums, but I think Continuum has some fantastic songwriting on it.

I can see how he doesn't appeal to a certain audience, but he surely gets more bashing than his music deserves because he is a tabloid figure.

...And of course, my wife loves his music...

I'm not a fan and don't own anything of his, but personally would rather see somebody like John Mayer influencing kids and their musical tastes than that BS boy band crap inflicted on the world a decade ago. I appreciate the fact that he can actually PLAY and seems to dig doing that more than the sappy chick song shite.

All that being what it is, I still freakin' HATE Dave Matthews.

Took the words right out my mouth...........And for sucking sooooo much he sure does sell more CD's

than all of us hater's put together!

And yeah Dave Matthews. is the true antichrist in this!!!

Then again, I haven't liked anything he's done enough to go out and buy his CD's. Or even steal it.

I'll add one. I haven't liked anything he's done enough to go buy it at a Half price books and records or the discount bin. I don't think his tone is bad. I think his tone actually quite good.

I was at the Dallas Crossroads and I didn't get it (John Mayer). I think Derek Trucks or Kenny Wayne are better than Mayer. I couldn't get past how painful he looks when he plays. Diamond Dave would have gotten him a doctor.

The stuff between him and Buddy Guy that didn't make the DVD should have been on there. Buddy thought Mayer was dissin' him and took off after him cussin' but then again when have you ever not see Buddy Guy cus?

Funny, I never compared him to D. Matthews. I don't like Dave Matthews either. I thought it was board policy that members don't let other members listen to DuMB. Wives or not.

His name should be stricken from all tablets and temples, and places of honor.

I don't like Dave Matthews either. I thought it was board policy that members don't let other members listen to DuMB. Wives or not.

I tried to get that in the "board rules" but robbie's a big fan, so it got shot down.

I like a few of his songs but I really dig the dude. No matter how well he plays, he obviously keeps working at it and puts his time and money into vintage and boutique gear. Old strats, Dumbles Two Rocks...

Thus he seems to be a respectful tone fan, first and foremost, and pays lots of homage to the greats that went before him. To me, that is refreshing, appealing and (dare I say),not unlike us.

1) Writes his own songs

Lowered standards perhaps, but is there anyone else playing pop that you can say that about? I like his pop stuff myself, but can't really understand why people get all in a lather about him either way.

-

Austin

+1. I On a side note, I like the way Tal's boob sits in the upper dip of the bass.

I like a few of his songs but I really dig the dude. No matter how well he plays, he obviously keeps working at it and puts his time and money into vintage and boutique gear. Old strats, Dumbles Two Rocks...

Thus he seems to be a respectful tone fan, first and foremost, and pays lots of homage to the greats that went before him. To me, that is refreshing, appealing and (dare I say),not unlike us.

But unlike us, he actually gets to play through that gear alongside some of music's all-time legends, and in the process he's able to moisten the nether regions of legions of college chicks (not to mention celebrities like Jessica Simpson, Cameron Diaz, et al).

Look at the demographic of the people who are criticizing him. Middle-aged guys who will never be asked to join their idols on stage, and have long lost the ability to turn on hot young babes, assuming they ever had that ability in the first place.

It's pretty clear to me that it's a jealousy thing. That and the career transition from pandering acoustic crooner to blue-eyed bluesman rubbing elbows with the likes of Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy is just too jarring for armchair musicians to accept.

I agree with Muse's jealousy statement.

For the record, I saw a performace of his on TV (not sure if it was the ACL or not), but my take on it was this:

I wouldn't buy any of his stuff based on what I heard because I didn't like the songs. I don't really like pop tunes, but I have to admit that his are as good as they come in that regard. His "non-pop" songs were just not what I would consider good.

His playing is a different story though. The guy can play his ass off, plain and simple.

I agree with Muse's jealousy statement.

For the record, I saw a performace of his on TV (not sure if it was the ACL or not), but my take on it was this:

I wouldn't buy any of his stuff based on what I heard because I didn't like the songs. I don't really like pop tunes, but I have to admit that his are as good as they come in that regard. His "non-pop" songs were just not what I would consider good.

His playing is a different story though. The guy can play his ass off, plain and simple.

I think you and the Muse are selling yourselves short, especially with the turning on the babes statement. With all either one of you have going for you, that's just not true. With your good looks, talent, singing abilities, personable and amicable good natures, and a $500 buck bill, I'm sure either one of you could moisten the nether regions of a college chick . . .

So, what did he do to get Buddy going?

Its been awhile but I think it was Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy and John Mayer on stage at the time with Jimmy Vaughn and band as the band. They were playing and Buddy gets up to play his solos while BB and Clapton who normally sit just played theirs sitting down. Mayer stands up on his time to play his solo and plays towards Buddy Guy. Buddy gets up and starts the back and forth riff war between Mayer.

What Mayer does next I think honestly was to acknowledge and realize he was not trying to get Buddy into a guitar battle but played for a few more bars, placed his guitar down and did the whole "We're not worthy" bow and he walks off stage. Instead of Buddy liking this, it pissed him off. The mikes were on and you could hear Buddy going "Oh, no you don't G damnit...and he walks off stage after Mayer. That should have made the DVD. That and the whole set by Brooker T and the MG's, but what do I know.

Unlike the James Burton Festival where Brad Paisley asking Eric Johnson to come back out on stage. Bad Brad was trying to get Eric into a guitar battle and Eric wasn't falling for it. Too bad. I gained a tons of respect for Brad that night. He can smoke a tele.

Hamerica

Guest pirateflynn

Especially when there are others far more deserving... like Justin Timerberlake.

And what's your beef with "The Talent"?

Speaking of "The Talent" you better warm up a couple of TW DVDs for me the way this thread is moving so far.

I think you and the Muse are selling yourselves short, especially with the turning on the babes statement. With all either one of you have going for you, that's just not true. With your good looks, talent, singing abilities, personable and amicable good natures, and a $500 buck bill, I'm sure either one of you could moisten the nether regions of a college chick . . .

That goes without saying, but I'd still suck at guitar. :rolleyes:

I think you and the Muse are selling I'm sure either one of you could moisten the nether regions of a college chick . . .

That goes without saying, but I'd still suck at guitar. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure Kizanski would do just fine on his own. Me, I'd need the help of a spray bottle with a mist setting.

Archived