Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Could we start another Billy Joel bashing thread?

Stike

Elton doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm Still Standing was about the last of his work I really paid attention too. I rather listen to Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck on Infatuation.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Honky Cheatu (sp) = greatness. To me, he seems to be stuck somewhere between the death of Diana and The Lion King. Saw him the other night on Leno and I changed the channel before he was through.

I respect that. E-me your address so I can send you a copy of Songs From The West Coast. Best album (and on par with) since EJ's heyday.

A few years ago, I saw a really great local band cover "We Didn't Start the Fire". The singer changed the lyrics to his grocery store shopping list. The next time I saw them, they did it again, and he read off the NBC evening lineup for the week. The second time he only got halfway through before he had a laughing fit, the drummer fell off his stool and they had to stop.

When he recovered, he proclaimed that to be the absolute worst song ever recorded and the entire place went NUTS with applause and cheers.

That song totally EMGs.

Damn!

I haven't ever been quoted this much ever. I didn't realize the guys work was hated that much. Really! Number 1.

Cmatthes - please send a bottle of cleaner for my laptop. Coffee went out my nose onto the keyboard for the emg snipe.

Damn! 

I haven't ever been quoted this much ever.  I didn't realize the guys work was hated that much.  Really!  Number 1.

Cmatthes - please send a bottle of cleaner for my laptop.  Coffee went out my nose onto the keyboard for the emg snipe.

Okay I don't hate him that much, I could go on for days about J-Lo and her kind for days, Billy plays, writes, and sings which is way more most folks nowadays. I was more or less bashing on the juke box hogging couple I encountered last Saturday. I guess they weren't scared of my buddy in his Angola prison rodeo t-shirt.

I like the Fire alt lyrics story. A band I was in ages ago did Shooting Star and I'd replace the na na na's with barnyard animal noises.

Stike, I agree I wouldn't want to hear the same Billy Joel song five times in a row, but am I the only one that likes Billy Joel? ;)

No, I'm a big fan. I've seen him many times, and it's always a great show.

Stike, I agree I wouldn't want to hear the same Billy Joel song five times in a row, but am I the only one that likes Billy Joel?  ;)

No, I'm a big fan. I've seen him many times, and it's always a great show.

You like Billy Joel AND Yngburst AND play in a country band? I call you Sybill. ;)

Now a version of Bottle of Red with a 2 step beat and a 132nd note widdly fest lead

would be entertaining.

You like Billy Joel AND Yngburst AND play in a country band? I call you Sybill. ;)

Now a version of Bottle of Red with a 2 step beat and a 132nd note widdly fest lead

would be entertaining.

Stike, I know this is a concept completely alien to people on this board, but I like music. It only seems unusual because I don't need to validate what I listen to by slamming other stuff, which is more the norm here.

You know what I've been listening to lately? Soundtracks (Kenny G, John Williams), Nat King Cole, Henry Mancini....great stuff.

I have loads of classical disks and vinyl.

I have an equal amount of Opera (lots of old Mario Lanza records). I've seen Pavarotti 3 times, and catch Andre Boccelli every time he comes to Vegas.

I also like my Country music, especially Trace Adkins, Keith Urban, Toby Keith....

I like 80's Pop music.

I like The Cure.

And of course, I gotta have all the metal I can handle. It's my favorite kind of music.

I've also been listening to a lot of the Astronauts, The Ventures, and the like lately.

Yeah, there's plenty of stuff out there I can't stand, but it's music. It should be positive. It's all good. I don't need to sit around and say "Yeah, I listen to Henry Mancini, but those guys in 'hair band x' really suck" or talk about how many donuts a guy chows down on, just to make myself feel better. That's all lowest common denominator stuff.

Mobbie: I have it on good authority that Robert Smith does NOT like donuts. Mancini, on the other hand...

would be entertaining.

Stike, I know this is a concept completely alien to people on this board, but I like music. It only seems unusual because I don't need to validate what I listen to by slamming other stuff, which is more the norm here.

You know what I've been listening to lately? Soundtracks (Kenny G, John Williams), Nat King Cole, Henry Mancini....great stuff.

I have loads of classical disks and vinyl.

I have an equal amount of Opera (lots of old Mario Lanza records). I've seen Pavarotti 3 times, and catch Andre Boccelli every time he comes to Vegas.

I also like my Country music, especially Trace Adkins, Keith Urban, Toby Keith....

I like 80's Pop music.

I like The Cure.

And of course, I gotta have all the metal I can handle. It's my favorite kind of music.

I've also been listening to a lot of the Astronauts, The Ventures, and the like lately.

Yeah, there's plenty of stuff out there I can't stand, but it's music. It should be positive. It's all good. I don't need to sit around and say "Yeah, I listen to Henry Mancini, but those guys in 'hair band x' really suck" or talk about how many donuts a guy chows down on, just to make myself feel better. That's all lowest common denominator stuff.

respect! I think a lot more people SHOULD think like that!

But it's FUN to hate! ;) You gotta stop droppin' that ectasy, Mobbie! ;)

I forgot about Jimmy Buffet!!!

I'll take Tull or Rush off for Jimmy Buffet

New REVISED hate list:

Billy Joel

Jimmy Buffet

Bob Seger

Oh yeah!

Y'know, I'm with Mobbie on this one. Now, there's lots of folks out there that are just TOO easy to bash, due to a personality trait , an embarassing incident in public or some such. And i do, and I revel in it sometimes, even. But it's done in good fun, and with respect because, what the hey, they've had a far more successful music career than I have.

I came up on Classical, Big Band, Cool School and Bop, Show Tunes, country and folk, old-school blues and soul, and the Holy Trinity of studio bands (The Funk Bros., the Swampers, and the Stax gang). As a budding piano virtuoso, I learned and played all of that stuff. So, when something new comes along, I'll check it out. I may like it or not, and yeah, there's a lot of drek out there, but it sinks fast enough. When I consider that I first met Billy Joel 35 years ago (when his first album was about to come out and flop) and he's still making noise today. That right there is worthy of respect.

OTOH, when I met him, he was a real jerk and I've only ever played one of his tunes in a cover band... ;)

Mobbie: I have it on good authority that Robert Smith does NOT like donuts. Mancini, on the other hand...

But from the looks of his lipstick he sure looks like he sucks the jelly out of 'em.

PS Mobbie I like a wide variety of stuff too, I just hate Piano Man and felt like venting about it, that's all. As for being lowest common denominator, well probablly but I don't take myself too seriouslly either. I'd sit down with Yngwie and eat more Krispy Kremes than him and call him a pussy for not wantin' to go get some Popeye's. Nuthin but love boyyyeeeee.

Archived