Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer's best times?

When do you think Hamer was really on top of their game?  

312 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've had a few Hamers pass through my hands but not nearly as many as the typical board member. HHBs "Flameburst," a '90 Centaura, an '86 Blitz bass, a '94 Duotone, and a 2000 B12L.

Now I have Mobby's custom-ordered 3-hole Duotone 12-string with the orange finish and nice inlaid logo and I hafta say...

What is UP at the Hamer factory? They've all been well-made, but the 2000 B12L I thought was kicking it up a notch in terms of fretwork, smooth finish, and overall well-built mojo. Until I got the Duotone, which was made last spring.

Dang. This thing, after two weeks of playing, impresses me more each time I pick it up. Not a hint of Hameritis. Ends of the frets are NICE. The inside rims of the round sound holes are finished. The wood INSIDE the hollow part of the guitar is smooth and nice. The lacquer is buttah-smoove from the tail straplock, to the neck, up over the side of the (perfectlymade) rosewood fretboard, and over the nut to the headstock. The neck... well, I don't even think about it. The shape is so comfy, and not even a hint of irregularity. The neck is set up doggone close to straight, with hardly any relief, yet there's no fret buzz and it actually intonates correctly with the rosewood-and-bone tailpiece/bridge.

This confirms a couple of things. Duotones are wonderful, and I swear they're making 'em better than ever. Do the rest of y'all think that maybe these are Hamer's best years we're in?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell I don't know.

Guess the 1979´s and the ones they´ve

been building in the last few years are

the golden age. But most of 'em are fantastatic

:D Muslim face says "Gimme any Hamer from

any era and I'll play the shit out of it, mutha!"

disturber

I've owned my share of early Hamers from the 70s-80s, but I really like the stuff they're putting out now in terms of overall quality and workmanship. Not saying it's better or worse from any era, but for me the recent stuff is the best.

Unanswerable question. There may be some models here & there that may not be everyone's favorite. But the quality of materials, workmanship & components seems to have always been high no matter what the Hamer USA model.

I'm not a shredder, but the Cali & Chap & others look very cool even to an old coot like me. The "copies" like the T-51 & Daytona & their variations all take the orig designs to new levels. I'm drawn to some of the "oddballs" like the Eclipse & Mirage for their unique & useable blend of features. And my favs are the "hollows", Artist, Duotone, Newport, Monaco III.

But I haven't seen a dud yet in terms of quality & workmanship. I suppose some will say that "hameritis" seems to be chronic and incurable with certain periods that are worse than others. Some have even called it an unmistakable sign of an authentic Hamer. ;-) But that's the only chink in the armor that I can think of.

Has there ever been a "bad stretch" in quality & workmanship for Hamer products?

Noonan

I agree Caddie. I think that Hamer has only gotten better at what they do over the years, but as you said, nothing strikes me as a bad era for hamer. That is: "avoid these years/models". I've had many hamers of all types and never had a clunker. The only model I had an "issue" with recently was an 81 special with a neck so small I swear you could hold it up to the light and see through it. Other than that it sounded/played great. But that's personal preference not a defect.

I no longer have my pile of early Sunbursts.

The stuff they are doing for me now KILLS anything that I have seen. Early 4 digits are killer guitars, but they are turning out some of the best damn guitars a person could ask for NOW.

Caddie/Lou - agreed. In my opinion, the Hameritis-era ('94-'97 or so) was still top notch stuff, but that unbelievably minor recurring flaw was the only issue (it is a NON-issue for me, personally).

Those guys up in New Hartford should be proud - they are the BEST out there right now.

Guest pirateflynn

I love my old Hamers ('79 Sunburst and '80 Special). They have a special place not only for the build quality and design but also because that era means a lot to me. Jr. High, playing guitar, discovering new music around every corner.

I have a '01 Newport Pro that is unbelievably good and someday maybe I'll do a custom order but for me there really is something about those old original Hamers.

Although the guitars they build now are stellar! they kind of tossed out us big haired spandex wearin still livin in the 80's refusin to grow up saps that still like to do the "shred" thing....I wished they still built cali's but.....not to be.. :D

I'm going to have to say Now as well, Newports and Monaco's are the end all in guitars :D

but I have had some wonderful older models pass through my hands, Nothing holds a candle to the quality and attention to detail that is rollin' out now!

buy 'em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefert the 80-90's shredder guitars the best for me, but the quality is probably at its highest point right now. My 89 Chap has some Hameritis on the fretboard edges and little white specks in parts of the finish (what is that?). Even my 1994 Daytona has more orange-peel texture on it than I think it should have.

The newest Hamers seem practically flawless. They've really raised the bar!

Skinny Necks On Set Neck Models was a bad period.

Absolutely! I totally agree.

If you see one, especially if it's emerald transparent, or like that quilt topped vintage orange Sunburst that got sold on E-Bay a few months ago, let me know. I'll take it off your hands. It's a dirty job... :D

Skinny Necks On Set Neck Models was a bad period.

Absolutely! I totally agree.

If you see one, especially if it's emerald transparent, or like that quilt topped vintage orange Sunburst that got sold on E-Bay a few months ago, let me know. I'll take it off your hands. It's a dirty job... :D

I've had, and gotten rid, of three. One of them was a flame-top orange Sunburst.

After three of them I learned that it was endemic to the whole period so now I avoid them entirely.

For some reason I've had a ton of Hamers from 1982, but it can't get much better than what they're doing now. Today's Standard Custom is almost perfect. It just needs that extra long headstock back!

Every one of those responses has strong merit. Tough poll to answer. I went with The Early Years answer cause I love my 2 Standards a lot. My '97 is a much stronger built guitar but the old sweeties and my '81 Special are great to be able to play.

Da got MOJO Bro! :D:D

Hey hamerfreaks,

After building up the majority of my guitar collection with Hamer USA guitars, I really like my early '90s shredder guitars ( Chapparal Elite 90 & Diablo II). I use those now as my workhorses and they kick ass onstage. That being said I also enjoy my '95 Studio & '97 T-51 guitars for the variety of tones, feel, and being more towards the "modern vintage" direction. I wouldn't mind acquiring a 12 string Eclipse or an Artist either.

Guitar George

Hell I don't know.

Guess the 1979´s and the ones they´ve

been building in the last few years are

the golden age. But most of 'em are fantastatic

:blink: Muslim face says "Gimme any Hamer from

any era and I'll play the shit out of it, mutha!"

disturber

I have to agree with disturber that there's alway's been the high quality standard's of build,well there's not been a bad year,not on any of mine!

martin.

• 3 months later...

Well, to a heavy metal fan the obvious answer is mid-late 80's. :) Phantoms, people! Think about Phantoms! Simple shape but sounds good! 70s were OK too, but nowadays, youck! It ain't worth saying, why did they stop making Phantoms :) I don't want to sound too harsh, they still make good stuff, but...

Archived