Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The best rock bassist ever?

Special J

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame on y'all for not citing Jack Bruce. While McCartney is highly underrated, and Entwistle and Squire would probably be on the top three w/ Bruce, the feisty Scot was every bit as innovative as them other Englishters, if not more so. He may have languished in his post-Cream career but Cream took rock music to places where it had never been, and music will probably never return there, either.

But I'd hate to have to choose between Bruce, Entwistle and Squire........

jack bruce is great as well.. really enjoyed him on the abbey road tour with rundgren.

I'll have to mention Michael Anthony, it took me a while to figure that out, not much flash or fancy stuff, but the guy knows what the bass players job is for that band anyway. His playing is such a perfect fit, it's the Steve Stevens rule: support the singer, support the song.

Yeah, Geddy Lee is awesome. The 'hands and feet' thing is pretty amazing, but my (now departed) Aunt could do some pretty interesting stuff on the organ. "It's amazing, he can play with his hands, AND be playing another part with his feet!, ... just like ... the old lady... at my parents church..."

Lots of contenders, most are worthy and I'd be hard-pressed to pick a "best", since each has their own distinguishing capabilites and characteristics.

Having said that, I sill have to throw Claypool's hat into the ring again. Primus' stuff usually isn't my cup of mud, but damn can that guy come out of left field and play some! Just his pretty-much-solo bass theme for Robot Chicken is worth some serious attention.

And at the opposite end of the spectrum, Duck Dunn.

Plus 1 for Billy Sheenan. I think he takes it to another level. I use to see him back in the early 70's with Tallas. They were from Buffalo and did the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse circuit every week. He had more toys than anybody and I remember him breaking bass strings all the time.

I could make a list of 25 and forget some great ones. It's really subjective. There are too many that are great at what they do. Sometimes less is more.

A few of my peronal favs: Tiran Porter, Sir Paul, James Jamerson, Bob Babbit, Larry Graham, Victor Wooten, Geddy Lee, Rocco Prestia... I don't consider any of them the best but they're damn good. Will Lee's a baddass, too.

Vintage - Entwistle

Modern - Justin Chancellor

The end!

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I've also always felt that there are 2 different schools of rock bass players too. There's the old school players, who are far more blues influenced, and then new school players who tend to add a lot more jazz and funk to their playing. Claypool, he's in a class all his own I think.

Claypool, he's in a class all his own I think.

Claypool is on a PLANET all his own!

That guy is unbelievable to watch as well as listen to.

All of the players mentioned in this thread are exceptionally talented. What I should say is that "in my opinion" Geddy is more talented. None of the others sang lead, played bass, and used their feet on pedals, all at the same time, lol. At least not that I am aware of.

McCartney did supply a few vocals and dabbled in songwriting too, I hear.

I don't think McCartney belongs anywhere near the list.

It's the most on point Hokie has been in months!

All aboard!

Now departing Minority Opinion.

Next stop, Psychotic Break.

Looking at the title of the thread, John Entwistle's name popped in my head. He certainly had technical skill.

From an energy on stage perspective (which is an oxymoron to some ol' school bassists) I saw STP live and their Robert DeLeo brought a hell of a lot of energy to the performance.

And what about Robert Trujillo of Metallica? He's got presence and the chops.

+1 one on geezer butler, john paul jones, & geddy lee, my 3 faves.

i gotta mention flea. he started out w/ the amazing yet somewhat overdone slap funk style,

yet has evolved into a very melodic old school classic rawk style, ala JPJ or sir paul.

Archived