Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why only three knobs...

Guest M1chael

Guest Michael

... on a Hamer? I'm sure there's a good reason, but it always seemed more logical to me to have separate volume and tone knobs for each pickup. Just idle curiosity, but as well thought out and executed Hamers are, I can't figure the advantage of the three knob layout. Do tell.

Well....my "81" Vector, 2 volume, one tone. Works great. Set the tone at 9.5. WTF are model are u talkin' bout? My bro has only a volume knob. Don't tone c** from the tip o you finger?

The control setup is actually taken from the original Explorers and Vees. Compared to, say, a Lester, there's a lot shorter signal path, individual pickup levels can still be preset and overall tone controlled, but with a lot less control interaction than you get with the typical LP setup, although there are some alternate wiring schemes that reduce this.

On Hamers, I find myself, as often as not, leaving the switch in the middle and getting my tones from the volume knob. And the tone knob is usually set-and-forget anyway. The two volume knobs are a lot more conveniently placed, at least for me.

I agree with what Tom said above. Personally, I could live with nothing but a 3-way switch and be happy.

Oh yeah, I could live with a 2-way toggle switch. Beat that!!!

As an experiment I wired up my white Standard with master volume and two tone controls and I much prefer that setup.

Hum.. :angry: Interesting, I may try that one. Although If you play in the middle it's cool to be able to blend the pickups. :angry:

Guest Michael

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the info. If I understand the thinking correctly, any tone/volume control interferes with the signal, therefore the fewer the better, yes? Makes sense, although I would personally prefer the setup that offers the most options. A lot of guys on the Tele board swear that an Esquire produces a purer tone than a Telecaster because the neck pickup exerts a magnetic pull that interferes with the string vibration. I'm not that savvy, but I guess there's a principle of physics that explains it. As I said, I'm not that smart. BTW bamboohead, thanks for getting the joke; so many people on other boards are sooo sensitive :angry: !

I blend the pickups all the time so I prefer two separate volumes, I like to set & forget the master tone at whatever sounds best for the stage (or room) acoustics. The stock set-up is fine with me.

regarding pure signal path- if an Esquire is better than a Tele, then a Strat must REAALLY SUCK tone with three pickups.....right? :angry:

I'll take a good player with average gear over a mediocre player with "the best" any day :angry:

There comes a time to put down the cork and pick up a guitar.....

regarding pure signal path- if an Esquire is better than a Tele, then a Strat must REAALLY SUCK tone with three pickups.....right? :angry:

I'll take a good player with average gear over a mediocre player with "the best" any day :angry:

There comes a time to put down the cork and pick up a guitar.....

here, here! all hail brother eric, he speaketh the truth.

all i need is 2 pups, a 3 way toggle, and a volume;

i typically never use a guitars tone controls,

i think coil split humbuckers sound like she-ite,

and phase switches don't phase me (ha!).

i don't usually even need a 2nd volume ,unless

1) there's 2 outputs (duotone, synth pup);

2) i want to do the stuttering ace frehley toggle trick;

"COLD GIN!!!" DAHHHHH-dah-dah-dah-da-da-da-daaaaa......

Second that.

When a college bud was first showing me his Hamer Sunburst back in 1977,

that's one of the very first tricks he showed me. Matter of fact he showed me all sorts

of flashy things to do with a loud guitar. Dude could play.

I $hit you not (ask Kiz), but this is a major consideration for me when looking at a guitar or grabbing one to play. :angry:

Just got in a new LP and you bet that's the first thing I'll do when I crank it up. I'm simple like that.

I $hit you not (ask Kiz), but this is a major consideration for me when looking at a guitar or grabbing one to play. :angry:

Just got in a new LP and you bet that's the first thing I'll do when I crank it up. I'm simple like that.

I'll third that - but also, I like to be able to throw the switch into the rolled off Rhythm pickup mode and kill the sound. Playing way more bass out than guitar over the last few years, but I always did that.

"Control it at the amplifier."---Merle Travis, ca. 1958. He was referencing his preference for as few knobs as possible on a guitar (if he was to custom-order it).

Archived