Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anybody checked out that new Seymour Duncan P-Rails?

Lockbody

Single coil, P-90, and Humbucker tones in one pickup.

I don't know if they're for me, but it looks like a great concept. They don't sound half bad from the video.

Sounds like a cool idea. I wonder if it works they way they say it will?

Guest Mike Lee

I saw a demo of them at NAMM at the Duncan booth. Coolest pickup idea I've ever seen. I just need to find a 2 HB guitar to try them in...

I might give them a go in my Newport, although they would totally kill "The Look." As much as I love that guitar, I really struggle with getting it to sit right in the live mix. Rock music is probably the wrong application, but damn, it is fun to play.

I saw a demo of them at NAMM at the Duncan booth. Coolest pickup idea I've ever seen. I just need to find a 2 HB guitar to try them in...

How 'bout a lefty G&L ASAT Deluxe Semihollow? Yum!

ASATD-SH_Cherryburst_full.jpg

Or, keepin' it Hamer, something like this?

hamexpultq.jpg

Between those two guits, it makes me think, how 'bout a Talledega with these p'ups?

I don't like the look at all, so I might still prefer switching guitars...

THose pickups cannot accept a cover due to the design. I asked. What you see is what you get. I agree that the idea is really cool. But it's definitely going to be a pickup for those who prefer function over form.

+1 ugly.

But sounds practical. Would you go with neck and bridge?

I think I'd try to go with the neck and see how far I got with that. Neck single coil tones are my favorite strat sounds; clean or dirty the P-90 sound off a neck pick up is cool. When I want to rawk - a JB bridge humbucker is ready to go.

From what I've heard, the single coil tones are the weakest aspect of the pickup, with the P90 and humbucker tones being the strengths. I'm going to set mine up for P90 and HB modes, so that doesn't bother me, but people wanting traditional single coil tones might want to be wary. I think the pickup look pretty ugly, but if they sound good, I'll be willing to put up with the looks.

-Austin

From what I've heard, the single coil tones are the weakest aspect of the pickup, with the P90 and humbucker tones being the strengths. I'm going to set mine up for P90 and HB modes, so that doesn't bother me, but people wanting traditional single coil tones might want to be wary. I think the pickup look pretty ugly, but if they sound good, I'll be willing to put up with the looks.

-Austin

Tone report, please. I'm very intrigued by this contraption. :angry:

-Austin

They're not out yet, but I'll be buying some as soon as they're available, so I'll let you guys know if I think they're any good or not.

-Austin

-Austin

They're not out yet, but I'll be buying some as soon as they're available, so I'll let you guys know if I think they're any good or not.

-Austin

Atquinn, you are really into changing pickups. I'm getting the feeling it's kind of a obsession for you. Not that it's bad mind you! I admire your quest for the exact tone that you are hearing in your head. Does it get to be a pain in the butt in after a while, or do you enjoy the hunt?

I'm hunting around for a new set of pickups for my SC. I'm not totally happy with the sound of the Seymour Duncun in the bridge position. I hope I don't have to go through a bunch of different sets before I find "the one".

-Austin

-Austin

Atquinn, you are really into changing pickups. I'm getting the feeling it's kind of a obsession for you. Not that it's bad mind you! I admire your quest for the exact tone that you are hearing in your head. Does it get to be a pain in the butt in after a while, or do you enjoy the hunt?

I'm hunting around for a new set of pickups for my SC. I'm not totally happy with the sound of the Seymour Duncun in the bridge position. I hope I don't have to go through a bunch of different sets before I find "the one".

I'm actually very happy with the pickups in both my Studio Customs, but these pickups intrigue me and my Studios are the only guitars I have that I can try them out in. I could try them in my other Studio, but if they sounded good there, I'd be forced to put them into my 06 Studio anyway (it's my goto guitar), so I'll just start there. Plus buying and selling pickups is alot cheaper than buying and selling guitars! :angry:

-Austin

-Austin

-Austin

I'm actually very happy with the pickups in both my Studio Customs, but these pickups intrigue me and my Studios are the only guitars I have that I can try them out in. I could try them in my other Studio, but if they sounded good there, I'd be forced to put them into my 06 Studio anyway (it's my goto guitar), so I'll just start there. Plus buying and selling pickups is alot cheaper than buying and selling guitars! :angry:

-Austin

Good point there man, never thought of it that way. That's kind of what I was thinking for my amp, I changed the tubes, and now I bought a Eminence Governor spearker to replace the so so Celestion 70\80 in it. Trouble is I'm not too handy with a sodering gun, guess there's no time to learn like the present.

rob

p.s. I love that no inlay look on your studio, always thought it was totally unique. Probably better for playing I was thinking, gets you out of ruts I could imagine. I know for myself, sometimes I'm lazy, and put my fingers at the inlays, without thinking. Sometimes I make the mistake of playing with my eyes rather than eyes.

Is that part of the reason you did it like that, or just cause you liked the look (which is very cool).

Good point there man, never thought of it that way. That's kind of what I was thinking for my amp, I changed the tubes, and now I bought a Eminence Governor spearker to replace the so so Celestion 70\80 in it. Trouble is I'm not too handy with a sodering gun, guess there's no time to learn like the present.

rob

p.s. I love that no inlay look on your studio, always thought it was totally unique. Probably better for playing I was thinking, gets you out of ruts I could imagine. I know for myself, sometimes I'm lazy, and put my fingers at the inlays, without thinking. Sometimes I make the mistake of playing with my eyes rather than eyes.

Is that part of the reason you did it like that, or just cause you liked the look (which is very cool).

I can think of at least 3 people who ordered no-inlay Hamers before me: Silentman's Watson, Cajunboy's Sunburst/Special/Whatever it is (:angry:), and Pesocaster's "Pesopro". I only ever look at the side markers anyway and I prefer the clean look of an ebony board with no inlays, so when it came time to get a custom Hamer, that's what I got. Actually, I'm wild about boomerang inlays too, but I don't think they look good on a guitar with a 3x3 headstock, so they weren't an option for the Studio.

I'm not all that handy with a soldering gun, but as long as I go slow, I usually do o.k. Plus, the first couple of times when I had a tech do the work it took forever and cost as much as a soldering iron, so I decided to take matters into my own hands!

-Austin

"I'm not all that handy with a soldering gun......."

Really? You'd think after swapping out a hundred pickups, you'd be a pro by now!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Guest Mike Lee

JohnnyB,

You know, based on what I saw at the NAMM show, I might get one of the new set-neck Carvins to host these pickups. Sacrilege on this board? Maybe. But after first hand examination, I can say Carvin makes an excellent quality guitar at a very reasonable price. I'd probably get an all mahogany one without a maple cap because I prefer the tone. And I wouldn't mind drilling it for an extra 3-way switch as much as on a more expensive guitar.

I don't have an extra Hamer for this project, so I'd have to get a new one which is getting less and less cost effective lately. A Monaco Elite Mahogany, Studio Mahogany, or Artist Mahogany would be good choices.

I could also go parts-o-caster on this.

But this is all theoretical at this point, because I'm not done with the Home Theater stuff yet...

JohnnyB,

You know, based on what I saw at the NAMM show, I might get one of the new set-neck Carvins to host these pickups. Sacrilege on this board? Maybe. But after first hand examination, I can say Carvin makes an excellent quality guitar at a very reasonable price. I'd probably get an all mahogany one without a maple cap because I prefer the tone. And I wouldn't mind drilling it for an extra 3-way switch as much as on a more expensive guitar.

I don't have an extra Hamer for this project, so I'd have to get a new one which is getting less and less cost effective lately. A Monaco Elite Mahogany, Studio Mahogany, or Artist Mahogany would be good choices.

I could also go parts-o-caster on this.

But this is all theoretical at this point, because I'm not done with the Home Theater stuff yet...

Well, if you did get a new Carvin, you might be able to get Carvin to put in a couple 3-way switches for you. They used to charge $50 for that and make the guitar unreturnable (except for manufacturing defect issues). Don't know if they still do that though.

-Austin

Archived