Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Little help with excessive backbow, or 'warp'?

I pulled out all my Vs for a crappy pic I, and it led to me putting the L350s in my Bacchus BFV-58. I always noticed it could be kind of buzzy, but it's only been within the last 2 years that I stopped taking my guitars to the local shop for setups. I guess inexperience is the source of my problem. It's buzzy at the bottom 2/3 of the neck, and looking at it shows a *hair* of a backbow, even with the truss rod nut backed off all the way. Does anybody here have experience with this? I'm running 10-46.

BTW: the L350s sound MUCH better than I thought they did when they were in my Dean Flame ML. Despite the included wiring diagram, my wife's guitar teacher couldn't wire the things up to save his life. I guess if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself :D

The only thing that you can do is have a tech recut the fret slots a bit wider and reinstall the frets with epoxy. This will allow more fretboard compression under tension, and correct the overbow.

I pulled out all my Vs for a crappy pic I, and it led to me putting the L350s in my Bacchus BFV-58. I always noticed it could be kind of buzzy, but it's only been within the last 2 years that I stopped taking my guitars to the local shop for setups. I guess inexperience is the source of my problem. It's buzzy at the bottom 2/3 of the neck, and looking at it shows a *hair* of a backbow, even with the truss rod nut backed off all the way. Does anybody here have experience with this? I'm running 10-46.

BTW: the L350s sound MUCH better than I thought they did when they were in my Dean Flame ML. Despite the included wiring diagram, my wife's guitar teacher couldn't wire the things up to save his life. I guess if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself :D

I only ask this as someone who has in a brain fog actually done it wrong--are you sure you turned the truss rod nut the right way? Worth double checking before doing something drastic or expensive.

MarkB

I only ask this as someone who has in a brain fog actually done it wrong--are you sure you turned the truss rod nut the right way? Worth double checking before doing something drastic or expensive.

MarkB

:D You're actually not the first person to ask me that, but have no fear, it's pretty obvious that it's backed off. It's the Hamer/Gibson/Dean USA style with the exposed nut (even the same size, despite the Jap manufacture, and cleaner than my Gibsons ;)) and I backed it off far enough to fit my fingernail in the gap. It's actually been cooperating, if only a little bit-the neck is at least arrow-straight now, and that's a step in the right direction.

Archived