Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Get Over Yourself" Guitar Solos

Someone mentioned the Candy-O solo in the "Iconic Guitar Solos" thread, and it got me thinking down this road.

Easton's "Candy-O" solo is definitely near the top for me.

Up there with that one (in no particular order):

• Novarro's lick in "Been Caught Steeling"
  • Summers' "Driven To Tears" solo
  • Bryan Bassett in "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"
  • Fishbone's Kendall Jones in "One Day"
  • Whomever it was that was filling in for Ace Frehley on "All-American Man"

Certainly I've missed at least a few.

Your faves?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1- beck-she's a woman- best phrasing i've ever heard in my life, #2-stevie ray- texas flood-gives me goosebumps, #3- eddie van-meanstreets, not the intro but the middle solo,so angry and visceral, #4 - beck -come dancing, the man is a god, #5-george lynch-night by night, incredible tone and killer phrasing on this one.......................................

James Honeyman-Scott: "Kid"

Jerry Cantrell: "Man In The Box"

Robert Quine: "Girlfriend"

#1- beck-she's a woman- best phrasing i've ever heard in my life, #2-stevie ray- texas flood-gives me goosebumps, #3- eddie van-meanstreets, not the intro but the middle solo,so angry and visceral, #4 - beck -come dancing, the man is a god, #5-george lynch-night by night, incredible tone and killer phrasing on this one.......................................

Some very good examples of trademark guitar work for the players you mentioned, but they're all pretty long solos. Indeed the Beck and the Vaughan solos are the entire song.

We're looking for quickies here.

More 'Solo Guitar' rather than 'Guitar Solo', and one of my biggest spine-chill licks is the little fragment leading into the end of "Got to get you into my life." LOVE that lick and tone, though I've never actually learned to play it.

Another favorite less-is-more solo is from Joan Jett's "I love Rock and Roll."

My current benchmark for not-a-single-wasted-note would probably by Ty Tabor's lead on "Mississippi Moon" from King's Xs "Ear Candy" album.

I can't hear a mention of Fishbone without thinking of THE sickest, funkiest, out-of-control bass solo I've heard in "Bonin' in the Boneyard.' Straight from the heart...or lower.

Good thread.

You nailed two of my faves Kiz-as soon as I saw the title, I thought of "Candy-O" and "Driven to Tears".

How about Pete T on "Summertime Blues"?

I've always dug the shorty solo on Liz Phair's "Supernova" too.

Ace Frehley-Shock Me

Glenn Tillbrook (Squeeze) - Another Nail In My Heart

That cat w/Pat Benatar - (Hit me with your) Best Shot

Elliot Easton - Shake it up

In no particular order.....They all fry me :D

I'm still partial to Skunk Baxter's stuff from the 70's, and Don Felder is still a legend for awesome tasty chops.

My ultimate hero is Les Paul, I've spent a lifetime trying to learn what he did in a few years.

Guest pirateflynn

Here are three good ones.

Neil Geraldo - Hit Me with Your Best Shot

Henry McCullough - My Love

George Harrison - Can't Buy Me Love

Don "Buck Dharma" Roeser: "Don't Fear the Reaper" (best version is on B.O.C.'s live SOME ENCHANTED EVENING)

Bill Nelson: "Fair Exchange"

Rod Prince: "Hot Smoke & Sassfras"

Eric Clapton: "Dance the Night Away" (only time I've ever heard him play a 12-string)

Eric Clapton: "Deserted Cities of the Heart" (how'd he get that sitar-like sound?)

Rory Gallagher: "Blister on the Moon"

Danny Weis: "Iron Butterfly Theme"

Punky Meadows: "Angel Theme" (the second version on the second album, the title of which escapes me)

Steve Morse: "All I Wanted"

+1 on Quine on "Girlfriend"

Hugh Burns: "Baker Street"

Randy California: "Dark-Eyed Woman"

Almost anything by the Ventures

Any solo on Prongs Beg to Differ is in and out, Tommy Victor said he liked to get too the point with solos.

Also just about any solo from Voi Vod, Piggy's solos were 2-4 bar solos, in and out baby.

Pretty much anything Giraldo and Easton has ever done.

Vito Bratta-Wait

Brian Setzer-Stray Cat Srut

James Honeyman Scott-Tattooed Love Boys

Pretty much anything Giraldo and Easton has ever done.

Vito Bratta-Wait

Brian Setzer-Stray Cat Srut

Oh, DEFINITELY...

JHSRedProto81.jpgElliot_Easton_SFG_Phantom.jpg

DINGDINGDING!

We have a winner. No one needs to post anything else now, this thread is over! :D

008_17A-1.jpg

DINGDINGDING!

Love that solo!

Have to add:

almost ANY solo by Elliot Easton

The solo breaks after the drugged out middle of "Whole Lotta Love" - Page perfection

"Get In, Get It Done & Get Out of the Way"

That description makes me think of Iommi on "Country Girl". Not much compositionally, maybe, but he just rolls in blazing, 3 seconds later the high E-string is off the side of the fingerboard ("meedley-MEEE"), and he's out. Love that. :D

On the opposite end of the spectrum ("Get In, Get an Entirely New Piece of Music Composed & Get Out Roughly Four Days Later") - Fripp on Eno's "Baby's on Fire".

God I can't believe no one has mentioned Michael Schenker!

Ever hear the tune Save Yourself ???????

You mean the song with the TWO 2-minute guitar solos?

Some very good examples of trademark guitar work for the players you mentioned, but they're all pretty long solos. Indeed the Beck and the Vaughan solos are the entire song.

We're looking for quickies here.

oh sorry, i'm diametrically opposed to any song that doesn't have at least a 32 measure solo....................

Archived