Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Speaker Cab recommendations

Hey All,

My amps have always been combo's. I've been picking up some heads and I want to play with some cabinets. To start, I'd like a 2 x 12 and a 4 x 12 closed back. Any recommendations? I want good quality, high ply-count Birch cabs, dovetail joints, all that good stuff. Oh and it would be nice if they sounded good too... :rolleyes:

Hey All,

My amps have always been combo's. I've been picking up some heads and I want to play with some cabinets. To start, I'd like a 2 x 12 and a 4 x 12 closed back. Any recommendations? I want good quality, high ply-count Birch cabs, dovetail joints, all that good stuff. Oh and it would be nice if they sounded good too... :rolleyes:

i've had marshall 4x12's, hi watt 4x12's but for ease of portabilty and huge sound nothing comes close to my 2x12 vertical recto cab with v30's, the bottom end is huge, sounds like a 4x12 but smaller and lighter...............

Hey All,

i've had marshall 4x12's, hi watt 4x12's but for ease of portabilty and huge sound nothing comes close to my 2x12 vertical recto cab with v30's, the bottom end is huge, sounds like a 4x12 but smaller and lighter...............

I highly recommend you check out an old (1980s vintage) Marshall 4x10 cab -- they sound GREAT and are smaller and lighter than the 4x12 cab. They seem to sell all day long on craigslist for about $250-300 in good used condition with original speakers.

Avatar is fantastic. I got rid of my old Mesa 4x12 that I ran under my head and replaced with an Avatar with 4 Greenbacks. It really sounds great and costs about the same than if I just ordered the speakers. Greenbacks for me baby.

I haven't actually tried one, but this 2x12 1/2 open and 1/2 closed ported looks pretty sweet. I'm thinking of ordering an unloaded one and sticking a Mesa MC90 in the top and EVM12-L in the bottom. They have 1 x 12's as well.

Limited resistance SineWave cabs:

http://www.limitedresistance.com/sinewave.html

LR001%20copy.jpg

If you're going for traditional Plexi tone, Germino is the cat's ass. I've got a 4-12 with heritage greenbacks and it rules.

Avatars are also great cabs. Stupid cheap and well built. If money is no object - Germino.

Avatar is a good choice look on ebay they sell them there and you get to pick color and speaker choices sometimes for less than thru Avatars website. They have 3 models of 2x12's.

Stepping up MojoTone makes great cabs including a larger 2x12 in slant and straight that kicks butt. Thir 4x12 is also killer I have a white one.

Buy from Mojotone or stock ones are sold on ebay much cheaper by dealers.

Now for the top of the line custom built any color, options and size go for a Swanson 2x12 or 4x12. I have a 2x12 custom built like a an old Orange 21.5x15x30, killer.

One that get's good reviews is a PortCity Wave cab but I've never had one.

Archived